• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM38E * Electro-Willys

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a bunch of old locomotive batteries. I bet I could convert a deuce, and with 475ah batteries, still have a 50-100 mile range.

That's an awesome ride! great job. I really need to build something similar for my commute. I was looking at an old postal jeep cheap the other day.

m38mike

Providerdriver, at an average of 55 mph I get about 22-24 miles before my battery pack gets down to 80% discharged. It's not good for the pack to get below 80% dc. If I slow down to an average of 30 mph then I'll get about 30 miles before the pack hits 80%dc. That's with 1500 lbs of lead-acid batteries. If I win this EVTV contest, then the Lithium Ion battery pack I'd win will more than double my mileage, while cutting the battery pack weight from 1500 lbs to less than 500 lbs. That's how much better LiFePO batteries are for electric vehicles.

Ferroequinologist, what is the voltage of those loco batteries? With a 475ah per battery set of batteries, I'll bet you might be able to take a deuce to the drag strip and win! Just be sure you get an appropriately large motor, or pair of motors to push it along!

ProviderDriver

What is the Tesla using for motors and batteries? I thought the range was around 250 miles or so. That would be a sweet setup for a Jeep. But at 100+ grand for a Tesla, I am betting half that is battery expense. But either way, good luck! I hope you win!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go to this web page and click on the video tab near the top of the page, you'll get to see a video of me driving the Electro-Willys.

EVTV Build Your Dream EV Contest Finalists

maddawg308, Think of it as a VERY stealthy recon machine! There is no noise except the crunch of tires on gravel, and the wind whistling through holes in the windshield. And I guarantee you that it'll outrun any stock gas-engine jeep out there! I've been over 70 with it and had gas pedal left to push.
M38Mike:
Nice project [thumbzup] Thanks for posting up this thread.

While, YES, as a stealthy recon vehicle, you'd be "silent running", but you'd better be prepared for the different recharging voltages, amperages, and hertz available in "enemy territory" or you'll end up "dead in the water".

Of course, you COULD drag a genset behind your M38E for a HYBRID-style "on-board" recharging capability..... rofl

Once again.... GOOD JOB :!:

m38mike

What is the Tesla using for motors and batteries? I thought the range was around 250 miles or so. That would be a sweet setup for a Jeep. But at 100+ grand for a Tesla, I am betting half that is battery expense. But either way, good luck! I hope you win!
Tesla uses an 11 inch DC motor just like I have, only it's their brand, not Netgain. And the batteries they use are almost the same ones I'm trying to win in this contest. It's the batteries, and the electronic controls that drive up the cost. The car's frame and body are only about 10-15 % of the total.

m38mike

M38Mike:
Nice project [thumbzup] Thanks for posting up this thread.

While, YES, as a stealthy recon vehicle, you'd be "silent running", but you'd better be prepared for the different recharging voltages, amperages, and hertz available in "enemy territory" or you'll end up "dead in the water".

Of course, you COULD drag a genset behind your M38E for a HYBRID-style "on-board" recharging capability..... rofl

Once again.... GOOD JOB :!:
Thanks! The advantage of most good quality, modern charge controllers is that they are made for both 50 and 60 hertz, and from 110vac to 440vac as input power. So I should be able to suck up whatever power the bad guys have! ;) And as to the trailer/gen set idea. Check out the photos on my EVTV web page. One is me towing a trailer of firewood. Well this year it's firewood, next year it's a 10kW with a high voltage charger in there. That's how I'm going to drive it to Alaska as part of the AC'12 convoy. :cookoo:

davidkroberts

For the generator you could always use the military 3KW diesel. They weigh in at about 250-300 lbs if memory serves correctly and are much smaller. If your going with a military theme might as well stick to it. Also if your planning on taking it on the MVPA convoy then I would go with diesel over propane. They have already made arrangements for diesel to be delivered and most of us will have it already for our vehicles. The last 3Kw mil gen I got ran about 300 bucks from GL.

I really really like the project. I wish I had kept my Bombardier Iltis as it would have made a cool EV

m38mike

Thanks Dave, but a 3kW just isn't big enough for my power needs. I'll be using an 8kW to a 10kW size. In a military gen set those are about 1000 lbs for a diesel unit. Heavy and noisy. No, I've got my eye on a 10kW gas generator that uses a Honda 20 hp engine. Reliable, quiet, and most of all light weight.

Are you going on the AC'12 convoy? Are you paid up yet? If not you'd better get your $$ in. They are cutting off paid registrations at 100 vehicles because of the problems with fuel availability and camping spaces. They already have over 90 vehicles paid to go. I'm paid up to go. I'll be offering up time to drive the Electro-Willys while we're at stops along the convoy route to anyone on the convoy who wants to try it out. :beer:

JFMickey_D

As someone who has been into electric conversions on all types of vehicles for years, your conversion has rekindled the interest in me.

And I too have had the idea for quite some time of using a small trailer as a portable (yet removable) genset.

Congrats on a job well done and happy driving on the Alaska run. Wish I could go.

SGT LongT

What about using high efficiency solar panels on the jeep and trailer to offset power even more? Flat would provide less wind resistance, but yield lower power returns. Also the time of year and angle of the sun would have to be considered. You really have me thinking about an electric motorcycle again.....stealth bike :shock:

Sirblissfull

I was wondering what kind EV conversion I could do on the M820A2 down the road.

With the NHC 250 pulled I could almost fit your whole jeep under the hood. With a 17 foot box and plenty of room between the frame rails and behind the cab I could haul 10 thousand pounds of batteries and still only be at half load. Plenty of room on top and sides for solar panels too.

Of course she weighs 32500 so she would need to diet some first.

m38mike

Sgt LongT, I did the math on the solar panels, and they wouldn't get me far down the road. If I covered the top of the M100, and the top of the Arctic cab, I'd get roughly 600 watts per hour on a sunny day at noon south of Denver. But when the weather charts for the Yukon tell me that in August it usually rains 14 days a month, and may snow for 2, I get the idea that I'm not gonna see many sunny days up there. Add to that the fact that I use about 3.2 kW (3,200 watts) to maintain a 30 mph speed towing a loaded trailer, and I'd be better off buying beer for the Duece driver in front of me to tow me up the highway!!

Sirblissfull, If they can get a 100 ton locomotive to run on electric power, I think we can figure out how to get your lightweight M820A2 charged up and travelling! :shock: I also think you'd need a double or triple up electric motor adapter plate to make it all work. But it would be fun to get it rolling down the highway at 70+ mph on electric power!!!

Jamesfrom180, there's a guy in Wisconsin that converted his sno-tractor into an electric tractor. Says it does a great job plowing, and runs over the snow well too. Hhhmmmm, maybe a M29 Weasel conversion??!!

jamesfrom180

Well I wish I could vote early and often for your project!!! Good luck.

I was actually thinking four traction motor V-100. Then the track bug raised its head and the thought of a M113 came to mind. But a Weasel now that I think could be fun.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks