• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM757 8x8

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire information, mainly for David Doyle, but then again, if you happen to have some sitting around, let me know. :)

Items missing on the truck include the 80 gallon fuel tanks and the soft top tubular support structure.

The tire that blew out on the way from Oklahoma was a Uniroyal marked 16R20, not 16-20 like all the others.

Attachments

Adamlee

M757 tires

Are you thinking of trying to collect all original tires for the rig in the long run, but just use a set of appropriate-sized tires in the short term?

In other words, an interim tire of similar stature like a radial XL or similar?

I know that finding original tires for MV's that are "one-off's" can be a challenge...I think Jeff Ski saved the original tires from his M706 Commando, and runs either bridge truck tires or something else of appropriate size instead.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M757 tires

Yeah, I'd like to find NOS tires for the truck. They are low profile and designed to run at only 30 psi on the highway.
The XM757 weighs about 4,000 lb less than the other 5-ton tractors (M52, M818 and the FMTV tractor M1088).
My cranetruck weighs more than the XM757! Lots of aluminum on this vehicle, even the wheels.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The one tire had G154 on it. I wonder what the G series is for this family of truck?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bjorn, I can't take it any longer! Have you been able to start that BEAST yet? Also, I noticed that HUGE grin :lol: on the pic of you pouring oil in (any bigger and your lips will rip!)
:grd: Sorry to be so impatient! Wish I could be there to hear that baby fire up for the first time since who knows when. :drool:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah man, love that thing, it's really built! :twisted:
I'm looking forward to it too...put two batteries in it today, but need to scounge up some battery terminals and cables. The fuel lines had been cut when the two tanks were removed so there is still a bit of work to sort it out. The air filter canister was open when I checked it out in Oklahoma and it needs to be inspected with mice in mind...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet! Take your time and do it right! [thumbzup]

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I asked about the 5th wheel height above ground in a different thread. Here is the reason, the images below show where my new fifth wheel came from (an M52) and it was attached without the tall spacer on that truck. I presume that the spacer keeps the construction relatively flawless on the xm757 by not drilling into the flange of the frame, but what about the height, how important is it?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The manual shows the height on my M275A2 as 52 1/4". With the M447 attached, looks like the truck could stand to be a couple of inches higher. Have you given any consideration to what type of trailer you might get? Also, are the tabs still on the outside of the frame like the one pictured?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Kenny, the tabs are still there. The frame is 44 inches above ground and the 5th wheel is about 11 inches at the center, so with the spacer shown in the picture above, the total should end up at about 60 inches above ground (with the 5th wheel level).
Don't know about any trailer at this time... maybe the missile trailer was higher than normal trailers.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lifted the dromedary platform off the 8x8 today for easy access to fuel lines and also to remove a pto drive shaft, which had been used for the bed mounted winch.
The mounts for the pillow blocks for this drive shaft had been welded to the frame! The flange, no less. Horror! I ground them off and hope the heat treatment hasn't been too upset because of that big no no.

Working on battery cables. On this truck there are waterproof connectors between the engine compartment and the cab where the batteries are located....

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Devin, too much trailer for me at this time, would need to take some tractor trailer driving lessons and get a CDL too, I would think.
The 8x8 alone will keep me busy for a while. BTW the authentic trailer for the XM757 is the Pershing missile trailer. :)

Found the image below in my store of pictures. Devin's daughter Shannon and my nephew Connor during Devin's visit to Ventura several weeks ago. The cranetruck is in the background to the right.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks