• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

You can have your stinkin' deuce!

FreightTrain

Banned
you say this... but you just bought a 5 ton Gasser... or am i wrong? ;-)

Yea,it was cheap,ugly,long way away,and RUSTY!Gotta have rust.....Oh,and bring on the rolling boom box ghetto sled cars......that just happen to have their window about level with the exhaust pipe......on the gasoline powered army truck.......that runs rich as all get out.......hmmmm,maybe I should also install a spark plug.......:twisted:

emr

Yeesh, obviously the best is to own both....But...How could anyone not LOVE a deuce??? Sure a five ton is awesome, But trash mouth a Deuce???? Yeesh...I LOVE my 813A1 and I LOVE my 925 even more, BUT when I get in My deuce, Oh my it all comes back !!! THAT IS A REAL TRUCK FOR SURE!!!!!!! sorry deuces get me excited...:roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yanno, there is something intriguing about a vehicle that its very last consideration in it's design was driver comfort and fit.

SasquatchSanta

yes 15.5s and 395s are the same height but i have mine mounted on stock wheels which makes the treads bow out thus giving you a bigger diameter.also 15.5s have more plys and a higher weight rating thus making the side wall flex less.all of these things add up to better gas milage.if you run the same tires on a five ton you'd probably only get 8-9mpg so deuces are better:roll:
Sorry but I can't buy into this line of reasoning.

I don't see where mounting a wide tire on a narrow wheel will make the overall "rolling diameter" larger. The narrower wheel might make the edges of the face of the tire look rounded to the point that all the tire isn't touching the ground but it will not add rolling diameter to the tire.

I won't argue with you on side wall flex because that's a new one --- a factor I'm not familiar with. IMHO Given the weight of a deuce and the rating of the 395s I can't see where side wall flex would be that big of an issue unless you were loaded heavy.

You mentioned that the 15.5s have more plys and therefore a heavier weight rating than the 395s. It stands to reason that a heavier duty tire with more plys would also weigh more. "IF" the 15.5s are heavier than the 395s that equates to an increase in unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is a killer for fuel economy.

I'm not trying to be a horses a$$ on this subject but this doesn't make sense. In the quest for optimum fuel economy and performance looked at tire options, droop & main fuel settings and overdrive gears. 70 MPH @ 2500 RPM and 13 MPH driving an unbobbed deuce pulling a 105 with full canvas seems too good to be true.

datsunaholic

Personally, I prefer the 5-ton. The 813 was the first military vehicle I ever drove (aside from civilian stuff owned by the military). It was funny, because some of the guys in my unit didn't want to drive the 5-tons because they thought it'd be too difficult- I figured out in a hurry that the M813, towing a 33-foot boat trailer, was far easier to handle both forwards AND backwards than the M35 with a small genset trailer. On the rare occasion I pulled the 15KW genset with the 813, I tended to forget it was even there.

But, while I love the 5-tons I simply can't justify the cost. It's not like I'm going to find a 5-ton for $1200 like my Deuce. It's bad enough that I'm stuck with a commercial, $1100 a year insurance bill on the Deuce due to the fact that I use it to tow 10,000LB trailers that aren't mine. Add to it that the 5-tons cost more to buy and maintain- though neither are particularly a cakewalk when it comes to finding some parts.

tm america

sidewall flex is one of the biggest killers of mpg also rolling resistanceis a big factor .lug type tires are usually bad for mpg.the 15.5s have more lugs which give less rolling resistance and better wear on the street and yes it does change the static height - effective diameter i have measured the difference with other tires experimenting with different rim widths .being that your tires are contacting the ground with the full foot print and mine ride on the centers shows the difference in height and how much more the side walls flex on wider rims.there may be other factors i have a d turbo on my truck but it was a accurate measurement i went down the same road there and back. filled the tank to the full line one the way down and then when i got back kept track of the miles and fuel used .i traveled 534 miles on 41 gals

emr

If I was concerned about: Comfort, Mileage, Drivability, Etc. I would not drive an MV. I guess I would not have antique cars and airplanes either. Since my Deuce is a vehicle that I don't have to drive, but I want to drive, I'll keep my stinkin' under powered, hard to drive, uncomfortable, crappy Deuce (and other toys).
Enjoy your 5 ton, I hope it is not just making up for something that you are lacking.:roll:

I like this one the BEST...LOL....

wsucougarx

Gosh, you know I wish everyone had your opinion here in the PNW. Seriously, then the darn deuce prices would start to finally come down from where they are:roll:

grounded

Banned
sidewall flex is one of the biggest killers of mpg also rolling resistanceis a big factor .lug type tires are usually bad for mpg.the 15.5s have more lugs which give less rolling resistance and better wear on the street and yes it does change the static height - effective diameter i have measured the difference with other tires experimenting with different rim widths .being that your tires are contacting the ground with the full foot print and mine ride on the centers shows the difference in height and how much more the side walls flex on wider rims.there may be other factors i have a d turbo on my truck but it was a accurate measurement i went down the same road there and back. filled the tank to the full line one the way down and then when i got back kept track of the miles and fuel used .i traveled 534 miles on 41 gals

Just one question did you get your milage off the spedo? or off GPS cause if its the spedo it will show wrong as you are running a 46" tire vs a 40" and will throw a serious kink in the MPG.

NOT tossing or starting anything just :2cents:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
everything has its place.five tons are nice as long as you have a cdl and the comercial insureance to go with it .you can put power steering and a deuce .you can put a stronger motor in it .the deuce will be more manuverable faster and cheaper to own and operate.plus intial investment is much less.not many of us using them for personal use need something heavier than a deuce.i got 13mph with my deuce pulling a m105 with the cover on the trailer doing 70 plus the whole way to haspin.so i guess if you need a dually with options.it will cost you and when you get it stuck off road make sure you have plenty of snatch blocks cuz noone else will be able to get you out
how did you get it to do 70?

Unforgiven

5 ton GVWR = not legal in residential areas where I live

Deuce GVWR = legal for residential areas

Otherwise there would be an expandable M820 camper conversion sitting in my driveway. ;-)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
everything has its place.five tons are nice as long as you have a cdl and the comercial insureance to go with it .you can put power steering and a deuce .you can put a stronger motor in it .the deuce will be more manuverable faster and cheaper to own and operate.plus intial investment is much less.not many of us using them for personal use need something heavier than a deuce.i got 13mph with my deuce pulling a m105 with the cover on the trailer doing 70 plus the whole way to haspin.so i guess if you need a dually with options.it will cost you and when you get it stuck off road make sure you have plenty of snatch blocks cuz noone else will be able to get you out
Whats going to happen when you BLOW A STEER TIRE,(at road speed there is little to no time to react) this is how people get HURT OR KILLED, trust me , blowing a steer tire is no FUN, thank GOD when mine went it was the RIGHT and pulled me off the road, if it had BEEN the LEFT, I would have ended up in ON COMING traffic. If I had not had POWER SREERING (like a deuce) I COULD NOT have pulled my truck back to go BETWEEN the poles

REMEMBER all you guys that want to go fast think hows it is going to FEEL when you tell a loved one of somebody that you just hurt or killed "SORRY, didnt mean to cause any harm, JUST WANTED TO GO FAST"

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll stick with the deuce due to cost, legal weight, insurance, and the fact its hard enough to find parking without the "super size" factor getting in the way.