• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

You paid what for a deuce

SasquatchSanta

I did a little fishing during a conversation with Memphis Equipment the other day. If memory serves me right they are getting $7,500.00 ($9,000.00) for a "gone over" stock deuce. They go through the brakes, replace the fluids, new hoses, 80% tire life, replace/fix anything apparent. Trucks includes a hard top and heater. Their trucks are ready to drive home. I probably missed some stuff and may have the numbers a little off but this is close to what they are getting.

When you consider they may pay up to 3K for a "mystery/pig-in-the-poke" truck then they have to recover it and spend the shop time, probably several days @ standard shop rates, 9K doesn't sound out of line. I realize that this may bring down the rath of several members but not everyone wants to go the GL route. I didn't.

I can see where someone might get upset when someone out bids them but outside of that I don't understand all the emotional rent over what someone sells (or offers) something for on eBay or what a GL auction brings. After all, for those of us with trucks, higher prices mean our vehicles are worth more. I also believe in a free enterprise, market driven profit based economy.

When I bought my bobbed deuce (Rosie) I probably paid too much but it was what I wanted. At the time I didn't feel I had the ways, means and knowledge to do the bobbing work so I paid extra and got a well done and very solid vehicle. My old friend John Bizal of Midwest Military said after driving it that it was one of, if not "the" nicest, most solid deuces he had ever driven.

The bottom line is that these trucks, whether stock or custom have a lot more value than the market is reflecting. As the originator of this post wrote "WAKE UP"

Respectfully Submitted :-D

:popcorn:

toddm

I bought my Duece from a private seller, I had no surprises and I paid $6950 for my truck. He has sold many trucks over the years and is a very honest guy. I would buy from him anytime, like I said I haven't had anything major wrong with my truck since I bought it about two years ago. Since I bought it I've added a camo cargo cover, front tow hooks (mine were missing), Oil and secondary fuel spin on filters from John Tennis , air-o-matic steering, a battery cutoff switch, had to replace a few leaky oil seals, new wiper motor for one side, added seven Goodyear G188 tires, mounted two of my old Michelin XL's as extra spare tires, a new brake light switch a gauge or two and some light bulbs here and there. My wife actually really likes my truck now and it sure keeps me busy, even though it still sits right next to my house in the driveway I get to see it everyday.

Pawnshop

Don't forget: it takes two to Tango. If there was only one person bidding it would go for $150, it takes at least TWO bidders to drive the price up, so (presumably) there were at least two people who thought the item in question was "worth" what they bid. One knucklehead can't do anything by himself...

DavidWymore

What about buying a deuce from someone like hundy? his prices seem very reasonable, I can't pay 7k for a truck and don't care if it's purty, but the GL thing seems like a big gamble.

wsucougarx

Well it is a gamble. It is a gamble to buy just about anything man-made. You never know when they are going to fail on you. Seen many new cars on the side of the interstate broke down. Best thing to do is preview/inspect your potential truck. Albeit, can't test drive... well, at most GL lots anyways:wink:

FrankUSMC

Wow!!...this could have been me! I was still bidding on the truck that is being talked about, but when our contractor showed up to dig our pond I went outside with him. At that time I was still high bidder. When I got back in the house, the bidding had ended, I was out bid.
I have some where around 20 military vehicles at this time, a halftrack, some WWII trucks, and 4 M35 series trucks here. I have had a couple hundred in my life time, I was collecting military trucks before it was cool. So, I am not new to buying military trucks.
Now, was the truck worth $1770? to me, YES!. I was going to go higher on this truck. I had plans for this truck.
If the contractor had not shown up, it would have gone higher.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

ChrisW72971

hey leave some of those trucks for those of us that need one lol :-D

so did anyone ever get one for $150?? I would snag one right away if it were cheap enough. but driveable. probably up to $1k I would buy one right now.

FreightTrain

Banned
How much will a beat down F150 or 1/2ton chevy cost ya?I paid $2500 for a 20 year old F150 a few years ago.Was beat on hard.Ran good but wasn't much to loook at.You getting 5 times the truck at half the price.

Jeeperjoe

not gl or duece related but i just got a 1990 bronco with 80k miles for $200 and the body is good and runs great, just depends on how patient you are mostly....

that once and a lifetime deal will come if you wait for it...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget: it takes two to Tango. If there was only one person bidding it would go for $150, it takes at least TWO bidders to drive the price up, so (presumably) there were at least two people who thought the item in question was "worth" what they bid. One knucklehead can't do anything by himself...
:ditto:

What kills me is when junk trucks bring more than good trucks at the same auction and same location. I bought a M35A2C one time at Smyrna,TN NG for $1,000. It was a great truck with no rust, good runner, and cargo cover. Most trucks went for around $1,200 to $1,400 that day. I was also watching a M35A2 that was a rust bucket and missing the trans. Thought maybe I'd get it cheap for parts. That thing went for $1,700 :shock:. I think it was the worst and highest price truck at that location that sale. People do crazy things at auctions.

omega231

lol. im selling all the deuces cept for my 67 Kaiser Jeep. i gotta get around to rebuildin the troop seats and bows though... they in pretty bad shape.

btw i was aimin for alot more of those 820s...

omega231

im sure you can find somebody to buy one from over there for a reasonable price. id ask grounded to run one over there for you, but i really dont want to burden him with more than i already have. ive already got him picking up my 820s in drexel and droping off a deuce in CO.

id drive it over myself, but i dont have any vacation.