• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed M925

wehring

No

No, this is the truck I brought in from Hawaii. The Cat truck is safe from the fire knife... for now. :evil:

The Cat truck will make the trip to the rally if I can make it.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

mudguppy

whew...!!

i was worried for a second - not because of the bobbing but because of the 'selling' part. i guess the Cat truck would be cool bobbed, but i'm sure it's pretty sweet as it is right now.

plenty of time for that later.

wehring

sad but true

It is sad but true. I have been through 40+ trucks in the last few years and the debris from former projects gets to be hard to keep organized. Keep an eye out for my Red Azz sales. They usually happen when I get enough of the clutter and need to organize or make space. The last one had a CBC and HIAB in it.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

Saturday progress

Today was mostly a thinking day. I pulled the bed and pare tire carrier this morning and spent the rest of the day looking, measuring and pondering. The result...

1. The deuce bed will need to be lifted 6" to match the tunnel under the 5 ton bed to clear the t-case. I am using the verticle supports from the frame of the tire carrier to attach the 6" risers.

2. I am not sure that the wedge brake pots will clear the air suspension components. They may not clear factory front springs either. Will know more next week. I may need to convert the rear axle to s-cam brakes to drop the pots below the axle centerline.

3. The exhaust will need to be rerouted to the side of the cab so the deuce bed can be snubbed against the cab.

4. The overall reduction will be ~4'. I will determine the wheelbase when I get the 1600s mounted and installed so I can measure the approach angle to know where to put the rear axle to match the departure angle (less hitch).

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not be different and use the origional bed? Cut it just aft of the third vertical troop seat support coming from the rear. I don't like bob's, but think that would be cool.

wehring

how much

I had the base truck listed for $15K. This process will add the following:

1. Bob job and air suspension $3000
2. 1600 tires & labor $1200
3. Double receiver hitch & labor $ 750
4. Repaint tan $ 500

Total $20,450

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

deuce bed

I chose to use the deuce bed because I have several sitting around. Either way (deuce or cut 5 ton) I am going to keep the length at 12'. It looks balanced on this chassis. The 9' bed is just too short.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

bed

One more consideration for the deuce bed over the 5 ton cut bed... use of the soft top. I have some tan cargo covers that I can put on it. A cut 5 ton bed will require a custom ($$$$) cover and hardware.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

not mine...

Not mine. Just putting sweat equity into it. I am going through it so the next owner will have a worry free truck.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

progress

This weekend was a good weekend. Stripped of the air & electric lines from the rear of the truck. Removed the drop down portion of the pintle hitch. Cut off the muffler mount and cut the exhaust pipe elbow. Dropped on the deuce bed and took measurements.

I have decided to go with a 169" wheelbase. After the decision a friend found on the net that a factory F350 crew cab with 8'bed has a 168.4" wheelbase. Should be just right.

The frame will be cut down by 27" and the bed will get a 5.5" spacer so the space from the top of the tire to truck body will be the same front and rear.

I am still not sure how the air suspension and the air pots will interface but I am feeling much better about the probability that it will work out OK. I was able to play with the color and contrast on some of the pics Derrick posted and I can see how the rear was set up on the trailer bed clad 900 series in this thread.

Here are the pics... I am open to peer reviews.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

chess

thinking about a bobbed m900 gets me all warm and fuzzy inside lol..... its gonna be great i look foward on more pics and info. i cant wait to do it to mine. btw i might have missed it but what engine does it have?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks