• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed M925

hemichallenger

This weekend was a good weekend. Stripped of the air & electric lines from the rear of the truck. Removed the drop down portion of the pintle hitch. Cut off the muffler mount and cut the exhaust pipe elbow. Dropped on the deuce bed and took measurements.

I have decided to go with a 169" wheelbase. After the decision a friend found on the net that a factory F350 crew cab with 8'bed has a 168.4" wheelbase. Should be just right.

The frame will be cut down by 27" and the bed will get a 5.5" spacer so the space from the top of the tire to truck body will be the same front and rear.

I am still not sure how the air suspension and the air pots will interface but I am feeling much better about the probability that it will work out OK. I was able to play with the color and contrast on some of the pics Derrick posted and I can see how the rear was set up on the trailer bed clad 900 series in this thread.

Here are the pics... I am open to peer reviews.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
Justin
I was working on the wedge brake air ride deal and I might try to rotate
the brake setup one set of holes lowering the rear and raising the front cans.
I am almost sure if that does not work you would need to put a block under the spring or go with the much better s cam setup. Just my thoughts. Ted

wehring

ted

Thanks Ted. There was a post on here about the air kit being used on a deuce and it was to high (~4") so I am wondering how it will fit the 5 ton. If it will clear, rotating the backing plates 1 hole would be an EASY fix. I will know more this week when the kit arrives.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

mudguppy

It is a bad photochop but it gets the idea across. What say ye about the height of the bed. Even with the bottom of the cab (second pic) or even with the front fenders (mine)?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
i was staring at the pics on the previous page thinking about that wheelbase. i was thinking "just about a half of tire-length aft of the intermediate axle would look perfect". then i turned the page. [thumbzup]

to be honest, i think the bed 'looks' a tad high. my vote: go closer to even with the bottom of the cab like the prototype. maybe just 2.5 - 3" lower?

regardless, this is going to be a nice truck.

wehring

A thought...

I am slow but sure.

The experimental truck has the bed mounted low and even with the cab... HELLO! The light came on. I was in a rush to take measurements and saw the 5 ton bed had 6" beams under the floor and the deuce bed does not. WRONG. The deuce bed also has these beams but I missed them from the outside looking in. I crawled under the bed and there is a 6" cavity above the t-case so I can mount the deuce bed as normal on the 1" slats of wood.

Dilemma... bed low and 1400s or bed high and 1600s. Now that (I realize) the bed can be mounted low I am leaning away from the 1600s and going for an exact reproduction of the experimental truck's appearance (less the 686 tan ;))

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

rear crossmomber tied in

Ok I am done for tonight. I cut the frame down, tied the crossmember in and installed one of my double receiver hitches. I am sure that I am repeating some of what I posted at lunch but bear with me. It has been a long day.

I am happy with how the hitch.

I will post pics after I put the kiddo back to bed.

Justin Wehring

wehring

update

OK the little wifey got him down.

Her are the pics. I still want to tie a deuce pintle into the rear crossmember but I need to sleep on it.

Justin

Attachments

wehring

Thanks but...

Thanks but I did not make it. Look up a thread for "finally - a factory deuce 20K hitch".

It is made by Torklift Intl. I sent them a deuce frame section and they made a batch of these for me. They put them through destructive testing and they started to deform at 82,000#! The sled pullers love them.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

Yea baby!!!!!

I got the air kit in today. Took some measurements and all I can say is YEA BABY!!!!

The offset of the leaf springs will clear the air pots. I looked at rotating the backing plates to adjust the location of the pots but it is not necessary. I will retain the intermediate axle because the front pots are higher than the rear pots. The front pots tubes are level with the axle tube. The plate with a hole in it that goes between the spring and axle tube to give the spring bolt a cavity to hide in will give the brake pot tube ~2" of clearance below the leaf springs.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

bigjuice69

Justin i measured my wheel base at 156 inches, i see where my brake problem is, on the 925 the axle housing is shorter than the bridge truck, from the brake flange to center of springs is 12 1/2 inches on mine. good luck tonite!!! Kurt

wehring

No progress tonight. Driving my happy a$$ to Missouri tonight to pick up a LWS because shipping fell through. Give me a call. I have an extra set of M939 axles.

Justin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks