• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$1.00 Dollar a gallon, Recycled ATF from the local 10 minute oil change

How many Deuce,Multi-Fuel owners will actually take the time to reclaim cheap fuel..?

• Total voters

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recycled ATF from the local 10 minute oil change, easy system.

I was at my local 10 minute oil change place this morning. I transfered 180 gallons of used ATF, the stuff was pre filtered before I got it. Medium red in color. I filtered it by recycling from the transfer pump,s filter 5 micron, to the fill tube of the storage tank I reset the pump meter to OO-O and waited 2 hours until the meter read 800 gallons. I figured I filtered all the ATF 5 times at 5 microns. The fluid was medium red in color with no water at all.

The 180 gallons cost me $180.00. Now if I got 180 gallons of Diesel at the BP at I-75 @ my exit it would cost me $4.20 and would of cost me $765.00

I saved $585.00 :driver:

The Multi fuel engine runs clean with no smoke at all on recycled ATF. Good cheap fuel. I will take pictures next time I go through the process. I had fun.

EDIT: Here are the pictures of the system I am using, The red pump sucks out the recycled ATF from the source at the oil change place and filters it while I am filling up the transfer tank pictured in the truck bed. That filter I only had to change 1 time. When the pump starts running slow the filter is getting full of crap Thats a 10 Micron. The threads on the red pump are the same size as the oil change place 55 gal barrels. Everything just seems to fit.

Next I transfer from the truck tank into the storage tank, that filter is a 5 Micron. Then the filter from the storage tank to the truck is a double 5m-1 micron. Out of a dozen fill ups I have yet to replace the 1 Micron Filter.

I took some pictures of the finished product flowing a dark red out of the final stage. This pumps slow since the fuel is being pushed through a 1 micron filter. I really do like this system and recommend this to anyone willing to go through the effort. Come to think of it, there wasn't much effort for $1.00 a gallon. Wait until summer I am guessing $4-5.00 a gallon or better.:driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Multi-Fuel is why I bought the truck. Gimp is looking for 1 in a can for me as a spare. Got to love them.

TacticalDoc

I dont see why all oil change places do that? Here in FL they are held accountable for each quart they take out and replace.:( They wont give it up or filter it for you.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch.. a $1 a gallon? I'll keep my 40 cents a gallon per barrel and the barrel!:mrgreen:

..but in all seriousness that's not a bad deal by any means!

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ATF and Hydraulic Fluid have more energy [BTUs] per gallon than diesel. So the mileage should be slightly better. The converse is true, if you are running #1 diesel or kerosene, you will get a bit less mileage per gallon as less energy is stored in the lighter fuel.

I am ~hoping, that the Cummins 250 will burn a nice mix of 50/50 ATF and diesel.

zout

our 500 waste oil tank requires a certified hauler to "dispose" of it with at lease a Million $ liability insurance coverage in case they spill on site.

The rate they pay for waste oil at this time is .50 per gallon.

How we drain - handle and pump into the tank is also under scrutiny as well at all times.

TacticalDoc

our 500 waste oil tank requires a certified hauler to "dispose" of it with at lease a Million $ liability insurance coverage in case they spill on site.

The rate they pay for waste oil at this time is .50 per gallon.

How we drain - handle and pump into the tank is also under scrutiny as well at all times.

will you sell it to people who are interested or are you required to sell it to a hauler?

zout

Once the oil is pumped off with no spillage (there is a containment wall around the tank thanks to OSHA) you would have to sign a liability for then ownerhip of the waste.

If the Co got their .50 a gallon and as soon as it was pumped we were no longer liable for the product I see no issue.
But we do not mess with it after it has been pumped off into the tank.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 10 minute oil change place has 2 locations. They both offer the automatic trans flush and fill. The system that does this sucks out the old used fluid and replaces it with fresh at the same time. The fluid swap machine has a holding tank of 5 gallons once this gets full the system pumps this 5 gallons into a 55 gal barrel, in that process not to plug the transfer pump it filters the fluid, there is even a water separator. Kinds neat to see this simple unit work.

They are making a killing as well. I had my Truck done this past fall, the automatic flush and fill for a 04 avalanche was $89.00 and takes 20 minutes to do. The next time I go I will post pictures. Very simple operation to reclaim.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, I have been going to the same place since they opened 8 years ago. I know the owner and asked him 6 months ago to consider this for me. Once he saw the oddball express he had a big ol smile on his face and said this is the multi fuel you were talking about and will run on ATF..? I showed him the nomenclature multi fuel plate on the dash. Thats all it took for them to do this deal for me. Anyone can do this I guess a good attitude and being a customer helps. I just thought I would pass this on so more people can take advantage of a good deal. Peace out..!

jimm1009

While the basic oil is good for fuel as dicussed, aren't the additives somewhat bad for the seals?

I would think that perhaps a 70 / 30 mix with the 30 being gas or kerosene or diesel being slightly better just to dilute the additives in the ATF.
The injections pumps are very costly to overhaul so that is my only concern.

jimm1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks