• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$1.00 Dollar a gallon, Recycled ATF from the local 10 minute oil change

How many Deuce,Multi-Fuel owners will actually take the time to reclaim cheap fuel..?

• Total voters

camp9

Ya, it probably is up to the manager and wondering what the person is going to do with it. They could get in trouble with one person doing something stupid with it. Having known him helps.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are pro's and Conn's for everything, next I am sure I will read there are environmental rules or the DOT has rules or the Fire Marshall has rules. All I did was transfer from 55 gallon barrels to a fuel transfer tank mounted in a 1028 and drive 5 miles home. I am sure there are no rules for gas or diesel in a transfer tank. ATF is non volatile so I am sure I am OK with any DOT, DEQ, FIRE or local ordinance rule.

TacticalDoc

While the basic oil is good for fuel as dicussed, aren't the additives somewhat bad for the seals?

I would think that perhaps a 70 / 30 mix with the 30 being gas or kerosene or diesel being slightly better just to dilute the additives in the ATF.
The injections pumps are very costly to overhaul so that is my only concern.

jimm1009

additives in th atf or wmo are bad for seals?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure how MI is but if you get caught driving with something red in your tank in TX you'll get a hefty fine since they'll assume it's dyed diesel. I doubt telling them it's ATF will matter even if you could prove it.

seal issues?

While the basic oil is good for fuel as dicussed, aren't the additives somewhat bad for the seals?

I would think that perhaps a 70 / 30 mix with the 30 being gas or kerosene or diesel being slightly better just to dilute the additives in the ATF.
The injections pumps are very costly to overhaul so that is my only concern.

jimm1009
Automatic transmissions have many seals inside that must work exactly right for the trans to function. Obviously if ATF damaged seals automatic transmissions would be impossible to sell since they would be failing alot.
Typically a trans rebuild is much more expensive than an injection pump.

Not sure how MI is but if you get caught driving with something red in your tank in TX you'll get a hefty fine since they'll assume it's dyed diesel. I doubt telling them it's ATF will matter even if you could prove it.
I know arguing with a cop on the side of the highway doesn't always end well but the difference in the smells is dramatic. The viscosity is quite different also.
Used trans oil generally is a different color by the time it is removed from service.
In the end you are still running untaxed fuel. This is what the ticket is all about.
Maybe saying you are researching alternate "green" fuel alternatives might fly?? 8)

Blind Driver

I don't know why you guys think the multi-fuel engine is so special. My '92 7.3 idi will run off of most anything. Winter is a bit different as I don't have a fuel heater yet.

Last edited:

camp9

I don't know why you guys think the multi-fuel engine is so special. My '92 7.3 idi will run off of most anything. Winter is a bit different as I don't have a guel heater yet.
Same here, but winter I put a heater lines in the tank from the engine, and just bought the fatty wagons line kit for the injectors.

Towing in Arizona

We run wmo and wvo (from Burger King) in all of our tow trucks. We steer clear of the tranny fluid in the commercial vehicles because of the red color (although, we've never been checked). I would run it in the deuce though. We filter it all down to 1 micron (the more the better), so it's super clean. The filter on most diesel trucks is 10 microns. We also use one container to hold it all, so when I add it to the deuce, or a cummins, or the mercedes benz, it is a combination of wmo and wvo.

kipman

Last year I volunteered to pay the state of Ohio the .41 cents fuel tax, I paid for 50 gallons since that is all my tank holds, cheap insurance.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no way the State is going to get 1 penny from me more than is legally taxed. There is no law on alternative fuels and the taxation of such that I know of anyway. Do they tax you on a Chevy Volt..? No they give green credits off your taxes or utility bills for using a green car for transportation.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think I will have my son pull the motor in my T-Bucket and replace it with the LDS I have stashed. That should be a conversation piece....ATF powered...

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Don, too bad you don't have something like a 1200 gallon tanker truck, you could have really scored a huge deal :mrgreen:

A

A/C Cages

Don, your DOT should show a rule where it states if you haul that in the container it has to be marked, fuel, wate oil, recyled, or hazwaste.
So, from what Greg who is a DOT officer in MI,,, you can get away with stating that its recyled or waste oil and since its under the 300 gal hazmat rules. You shoulndt be stopped. I will have Greg give me a copy of those rules for you and you can carry them in your truck with you. They pull you over, you show that and you are free to go.

PUZZLED

I work at a GM shop in Houston. Have been running our used ATF since day 1 after changing all my filters and running a water block filter. Truck loves it.... haven't had a single problem.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Don, too bad you don't have something like a 1200 gallon tanker truck, you could have really scored a huge deal :mrgreen:
I hear ya, there is only so much bread in my loaf lately, been working on it. Having a M-109 delivered this weekend from GA. Then I have to work on storage and the like as discussed. Rome was not built in a day. Good looking out Tie.

camp9

Don, your DOT should show a rule where it states if you haul that in the container it has to be marked, fuel, wate oil, recyled, or hazwaste.
So, from what Greg who is a DOT officer in MI,,, you can get away with stating that its recyled or waste oil and since its under the 300 gal hazmat rules. You shoulndt be stopped. I will have Greg give me a copy of those rules for you and you can carry them in your truck with you. They pull you over, you show that and you are tfree to go.
There's a DOT officer on this site?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks