• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1100/20 xl tires

emr

91W350 U have experience, it really is simple snow and mud need that slice thru, or U just lose all your power with the snow plow affect pushing alot of mud and snow, now like said above,"wouldn't they just sink in way down ? well sure in some thing as deep in your mind U are saying I think, any tire would sink, but it really is simple, wide and big is for sand and rocks, watch the rock climbers and then the swamp runners, it says it all, now the driver and vehicle have alot to say here, but the basic facts are true since the beginning of tire design and are true today, many people say . : My big wide tires were the best there is in mud and snow, well to them this is true , but there opinion is in a very narrow area of experience, because it is not true, only for them at that time, can U see what i am sayin, no disrespect intended, but facts are facts. Oh and NDTCCs are awesome in all conditions as long as they are driven and aired correctly, so those that say they heard or believe they are terrible, again have limited experience, they have had the longest run in service than any tire ever, and that is for a reason, not by accident , not because the guys sending these trucks out are stupid, actually they are smart and were correct in the tire they chose, heavy duty and awesome in a wide variety of climates and terrains, and in the past deserts were not the mainstay of fighting either, but when ndts were sent to the desert for one example, An M 38 had 700 tires for sand service there were fitted with 750s , even in ww 2 they new these facts, many many tests have proved and re proved this for the history of these trucks,

91W350

I do have a lot of experience, but it is for my area. I cannot say what kind of soils other people run into, but for the most part here, two identical trucks, one equipped with a tall narrow open treaded tire and one equipped with a tall wide tire, the narrow tired truck will make the wide tired truck look incapable. It is better to be able to stay in the middle of a muddy road and cut a rut than it is to float off into the ditch on a wide tire. Some of the sorriest messes I have seen is from guys sliding down into a deep ditch, where there is no bottom like a swamp, then trying to climb out with a tire that will not cut a rut. Normally what you see is a quarter to a half mile of ditch with mud thrown everywhere from some clown with wide tires trying to get enough speed up to get out of the ditch. It would have been so much easier to just stay on the road to begin with. Back when the monster tires on a half ton pickup was the fad, I spent a lot of nights and early mornings pulling out guys that slid off into the ditch. I ran a 7.50X17 tire on my old 1967 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. A lot of the places where they slid of and got stuck I could navigate in two wheel drive.

On the other hand, get my truck in some soft loose sand and I was in trouble. It would bury the rear axle in short order trying to plow the front tires. In 4x4 it was not so bad, but you wanted that front axle engaged before the rear axle sunk.

I very seldom needed 4x4 in the snow. It would pretty much go anyplace I wanted or needed to go.

The deuces are the same way. The wide tires do have areas they work much better, like sand. I am surprised at how easy my deuce will slide the rear end out. The steering plants pretty well because of the engine weight on the single tires. Those tandem duals have a whole lot less weight anchoring them and they will spin out from under the truck a lot easier tan I expected. I think an empty deuce would be much better off in my area with singled NDTs. That is not the way the military intended them to run though, they were designed to be run loaded.

Again, it is just my experience in my area, if you live in sand dunes, sandy soil, rocky country, your experience may be vastly different. A lot of our area ranchers will go back to 7.50 x 16 bias tires to run in the pastures. They want that tall skinny open lug design and for them it is worth the benefit trade off from the less aggressive radial tires. Glen

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is mostly a yes but also a no, there is a basic rule that is as true as the day is long, a narrow tall tire is better in mud and snow, .............................................
I agree with skinny for snow, so you can cut down to hard ground.
skinny tire for a muddy road? maybe, but for mud off road????? sorry I'd rather not have it sink in search of hard ground, wider is better.

Where might one buy a speedo adaptor to correct actual speed with 1100s?
Clark Truck maybe? I think the M809 series speedo adapter will work.

It seems that the mil. is converting to singled out trucks, is there any advantage to this? Bob H's deuce with the dual 11/20's looks REAL cool. My truck is singled with flipped hubs but that pic. of Bobs makes me wonder. What if you had the dual 11/20's in back with a fatty in front like a concrete truck? Obviously the rubber investment goes thru the roof!
Like this? (not mine)

Attachments

Last edited:

91W350

I agree with skinny for snow, so you can cut down to hard ground.
skinny tire for a muddy road? maybe, but for mud off road????? sorry I'd rather not have it sink in search of hard ground, wider is better.
I am not arguing with you at all, in your neck of the woods, you might be right. Around here we are usually very dry. So when we get a good soaking or thaw, every dust filled wallowed out spot becomes a slick basin. Climbing out of draws or creek banks can be very challenging for a wide tire, typically they will be stuck in 2" of slick mud. It requires a lot of weight to plant them. We also have very dense grasses in our area and slick grass is very hard to get traction on with a wide tire. Unless you wander off into a spring, pond, of soft creek bottom, we seldom have more than a few inches of mud to contend with, but it is extremely slick. I have seen a lot of trucks stuck in two inches of mud in the bottom of a ditch, they just cannot get enough traction to climb out. Another thing we have here is a lot of county roads that have no gravel, nothing! When the maintainer slicks up the surface for regular traffic and puts a crown on it for water drainage, you are basically trying to drive on a mud dome. If you cannot cut down to the dirt or deep enough to make a retaining rut, it is off to the ditch for you. A lot of those are not user friendly. Like I say, everybody has a little different situation, go east of me 60 miles and everything has flint rock or limestone under it. Go west of me 60 miles and limestone is everywhere, normally within a few inches of the surface. That is another place that narrow tires do good, the stone is usually pretty soft and the dust mixed with water is very slick. Around here it is normally pretty fine dirt down 20 feet or more, then you run into sand and the water table. The rock shelves are below that in my area. Glen

emr

I think like said the basic rules are for most types is what we said it is,true,.... there are exceptions , and remember driver and torque/horsepower length and weight of vehicle all have a place in this discussion , there are skidders that have wide and tall and some have narrow and tall, these people are in the know of the terrain they will be in,there are times one needs to float also, but for the most part the basics hold very very true, And one thing for sure Directional tires rule over ALL others :)