• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

120lbs of Kitty Litter

Josh

How burried are your rear ends? I mean i air down my outside duals when playing in the sand, should make some differance in the rear.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ditto on the air down.
then on the wheels stuck in the mud, chain/ratchet strap some chunks of 4x4 on the tread, tied thru the spokes of the tires.
Other option is landing mat strips, or expanded metal, but both will require digging.
Maybe some 1 foot wide 3/4" plywood strips with 4x4 cleats screwed to the surface.

Where did all these posts come from - sorry for the duplicate advice.
It must be right, if so many are posting it.

Attachments

Last edited:

bratpackdad

That's not too deep. It's hard to tell from just one pic, but if the back is higher you should be ok. I say; air down, use coarse sand (sand/gravel mix would do best,) and dig. Too bad you don't have another deuce. Good luck:beer:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One of the issues you have is that the front differential (and maybe the rears) is mudbound also....that is going to create a lot of resistance no matter how you decide to get it out.

The ground looks to be too soft to jack it up and put wood or something else under the wheels.....you are prob going to have to pull it from the rear with something strong enough to overcome all that resistance (without getting that vehicle stuck too).

You have a hard row to hoe.aua

ditto on the air down.
then on the wheels stuck in the mud, chain/ratchet strap some chunks of 4x4 on the tread, tied thru the spokes of the tires.
Other option is landing mat strips, or expanded metal, but both will require digging.
Maybe some 1 foot wide 3/4" plywood strips with 4x4 cleats screwed to the surface.

Where is all these posts come from - sorry for the duplicate advice.
It must be right, if so many are posting it.
I can never have too much advice! I'll buy some ratchet straps and 4x4's as well. Sounds like a very good idea. At first I didn't understand exactly how to hook them up but the picture made it clear.

This is an interesting logistical challenge. A lot of work, but I'm learning from you all. Thanks!

Last edited:
One of the issues you have is that the front differential (and maybe the rears) is mudbound also....that is going to create a lot of resistance no matter how you decide to get it out.

The ground looks to be too soft to jack it up and put wood or something else under the wheels.....you are prob going to have to pull it from the rear with something strong enough to overcome all that resistance (without getting that vehicle stuck too).

You have a hard row to hoe.aua
Hey, bratpackdad has my back! =P As he guessed, the rears aren't very bad. Luckily I was going slow enough that the fronts dug in and I didn't have a chance to sink the whole truck. I have nothing but time, so I plan on doing a lot of digging (including behind the differential) - one of my buddies is going to help me dig. The ground is too soft for a jack at the front, but luckily there is dry ground just 5 feet from the back of the truck, and plenty of room for a vehicle to drive forward and pull me backward, as we tried today.

I think I could have picked a worse spot =)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The recovery manual has several methods you can use for this. I prefer the one gimp suggested. If there are any stout trees or something to tie off to within a reasonable distance to the rear, you could also do the capstain winch method but you would need rope. Doubt you'd need it, just chain up a log like gimp said. No digging, no fuss, no muss.

Heavysteven

Keep an eye on the weather. What happens if it rains?

Take your time and be safe. I agree a combination of straps and come alongs would be the best opition.

When I saw the photo you posted it reminded me of an episode of "Dirty Jobs". The military made Steve use rope and pulleys to get a suck humvee out. Also, explained a factor rating that as the truck be comes buried the resistance increase 2-4 times it's weight.

hoop

My suggestion would be to dig out enough to air down.....15 in the front and 10 in the back.
Then put "A LOT", as much weight as you can in the back of the truck.
Hook any other vehicles available to it and give it a try.

The problem that you have with digging it out is that you can not get to the differential to clear that area.

If you use timber as the tractor did make sure you use very strong timber. You will probably just snap it off.

rickf

The sand and stone are a good idea if you are getting a half ton of each! The kitty litter...........well leave it for kitty. The timber is a very good idea and one I have used to get a two wheel drive F800 out. Just don't get greedy and try to have too much of the board sticking out. Only put them on one wheel or they will hit each other on rotating. Don't air down the front unless you can make the clearance under the diff or otherwise you will just be putting more weight directly on the mud as the diff settles down into it when the tires go down. If the back tires are on solid footing then the extra weight all the way in the back is a good idea, A lot of extra weight. A pickup just pulling is going to do nothing but spin, use a snatch strap and give a few good yanks. Once you get the front diff out of the mud you should be good to go. Just don't spin so much you re bury it.

Rick

hdexpert

Are there any decent sized trees nearby? You can try the trick where you anchor to a tree with a rope and run the other end between one set of rear duals. Then you put it in reverse and it winds itself around and pulls you out. Just a thought.

ODdave

looks familiar, Done that plenty of times. My best advice, buy another deuce with a winch! that works well for me. If i was in your situation i might try putting 2 more wheels on the front (duals) and the cable between the rears trick. putting the tires on is gonna suck but it would help it "float"

Trawler Scott

Unless you have a locker wouldn't the cable on the rear hub just cause the other side to spin ? Air down rears,whenever some is trying to pull you just turn tires over just enough to keep them turning (not spinning) If someone is pulling with a truck smaller than you use a snatch strap and get a good run, the strap will absorb the shock.

3dAngus

I don't know much about pulling out rubber tires, but I have pulled out tracked vehicles dozens of times after bottoming out to the pan. Single best thing is branches, after digging out. My Dad worked at the landfill and they did the same thing. Went to the woods, cut down a truck load of green branches off trees and bushes, stuck it under tires and tracks in the mud after digging out what you can and leveling off at the direction of the pull vehicle. Best thing you can do, and the price is right.

Kalashnikov

Take lots of pictures!

And like Trawler Scott said, winching with the rear duals won't work unless the rear axle is locked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks