• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

120lbs of Kitty Litter

Four hours of digging, four 4x4 boards, and a 4x4 truck - I think I know my new lucky number!

Thanks for your help everyone. I even threw some gravel down behind the front tires. I learned a lot from this - mostly, don't drive through those gigantic clay pits. (the clay was so hard around the front tires that I couldn't even dig it out with my fingers)

I didn't use the Fordson Tractor method with the boards; I ratchet-strapped them on the way that Quarkz suggested. Seemed to work really well; none of them broke off until I was out of the pit. I was kind of able to crawl into the wheel well to reach the mud backed up behind the differential/shock mounts etc. Up near the front tires we were sinking in past our ankles in mud. Good times! Thanks again everyone.

Attachments

erniemigi

It's Miller Time, oh wait can"t do that yet, got to break out the pressure washer and get all the mud out from under there, then it's Miller time, congradulations on getting it out :grd:

hoop

WOW....Sunk in past your ankles.....
When you are really stuck your boys get wet, and maybe your knees too.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Liberal use of a shovel is very effective. Digging out around those rear ends is very important. Depending on where the real bottom is, also effects the strategy. Rocking things around before things are exactly right for the big pull, sometimes just brings the bottom up closer to the roof. Good luck Lee

Liberal use of a shovel is very effective. Digging out around those rear ends is very important. Depending on where the real bottom is, also effects the strategy. Rocking things around before things are exactly right for the big pull, sometimes just brings the bottom up closer to the roof. Good luck Lee
Yep, 8 man-hours of digging and a four wheel drive did the trick. Good advice - there was a pretty well-defined division between mud and solid clay. For better or for worse, I was already on the clay floor.

asgtoolman

Now I know why you were so worried about your keyed starter [your other current thread] You were worried about someone stealing your deuce last night from that bog!

Exactly! My ESPN told me that I was going to get stuck, and that a random industrial dump truck would happen upon my truck's exact position at the lake in darkness. Good thing I fooled him with the keyed ignition! (although he could just cut the wires and touch them together)

asgtoolman

Exactly! My ESPN told me that I was going to get stuck, and that a random industrial dump truck would happen upon my truck's exact position at the lake in darkness. Good thing I fooled him with the keyed ignition! (although he could just cut the wires and touch them together)

Glad you have ESPN too![ I guess we could go one further and say ESPN2] I use that "term" all the time and most peoplle never "catch" what I'm saying

KsM715

Did you leave the truck un-manned all night?

Theres a thread around here somewhere where someone did that and came back to it the next day to find it vadalized. Ive seen trucks left stuck in the mud at the local ORV completely destroyed by vandals when left overnight. One of my trucks get stuck like that, someone else is going for help and Im sleeping in the cab.

Did you leave the truck un-manned all night?
I did leave the truck over night; ****, I even left the windows down (not a cloud in the sky). I suppose I have too much faith in the populace of this earth. Everything was fine when I got there - it was far enough off the road, and away from most main mudding thoroughfares, that even a crazy nocturnal adrenaline junkie would probably have a hard time finding it. The comfort of my bed outweighed my concern for the truck. I think I even said "If they can get it out, they can have it."

cornrichard

When I get something really muddy like that I have a trick. I put two lawn sprinklers in the driveway about 5 feet apart. I pull the truck over them and turn on the hose. I move the truck a foot or two each hour. You still have to pressure wash, but a lot less. You can usually enjoy several celebration beverages while cleaning. That way you are working and drinking. Two jobs at the same time. Very efficient.

dogtags

I'm just glad that we have the Zombie Suppression Task Force back mobile. I would have hated to see a massive zombie attack and have no way for the task force to arrive in time. :)

When I get something really muddy like that I have a trick. I put two lawn sprinklers in the driveway about 5 feet apart. I pull the truck over them and turn on the hose. I move the truck a foot or two each hour. You still have to pressure wash, but a lot less. You can usually enjoy several celebration beverages while cleaning. That way you are working and drinking. Two jobs at the same time. Very efficient.
I don't have a driveway! =( This thing sits in a parking lot about 5 miles from my place. That is a good trick, though - and celebration beverages WHILE cleaning? Genius! Usually my kool-aid has to wait until the job's done.

I'm just glad that we have the Zombie Suppression Task Force back mobile. I would have hated to see a massive zombie attack and have no way for the task force to arrive in time. :smile:
When I sent the picture of the truck buried to the frame, the first thing my buddy said was "The zombies are coming...". Yeah, thanks for that. =P

Finally got some more pictures online. As you can see, the rears weren't too bad. I was going slow enough that the front just sunk in. If I was going a LOT faster, maybe I could have drove through the whole thing - but I doubt it. I would have taken some pictures during the recovery process, if my hands weren't completely covered in mud. The old lady decided to stay home this time; you know how they are =)

Attachments

Tell me about it! I'm looking in the classifieds here for some different tires - I'm within driving distance of San Antonio, Dallas, and possibly Houston. I need better tires!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After having read 6 pages of this thread, I notice that NO ONE suggested throwing some "SUPPRESSED ZOMBIES" under the tires..... I am SO disappointed :deadhorse:

I guess your little Zombie Suppression Enterprise hasn't been very successful so far. You're spending way too much time playing in the muddy clay instead of Zombie Suppressin' I guess.

BTW - Do we Texans need a Zombie Hunning Permit or is it just non-Texans that need to pay the Zombie Tag Tax???

Congrats on the successful recovery and the learning experience, too.

:jumpin::mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks