• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1974 M35A2 Mulit 5th gear "knocking" issue

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, I turned it over with the fuel shut off to see if it would go "THUNK"(hydrolock) it did not. I turned the fuel on, hit the starter, and drove back to camp!

:gimp2::gimp::gimp2:

DeucesWild11

Well I found out where the banging was coming from, the whole rear spring mounting came loose and was hanging off. Well it's not really the spring mounting but don't know the name for it. You'll know what I mean by the pics. It must have been loose for a little while and just recently came completely off in the driveway. They left this on when it was bobbed, told me it was stronger that way. I suppose it would be if he had more than 3 bolts in total holding it on!. I had to drill out 3 new mounting holes on each side as there were none. Got some high strength bolts so I should be all set now..

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Its hard to see from your pics, was the spring hanger not bolted in? If it was, did they leave a gap between the frame and spring mount?!!!

DeucesWild11

The spring mount just has the two bolts on the top and the bottom was "cut to fit" around the other piece. This seems like a flimsy set up for the spring hanger. It just sort of fits around the other metal piece that came loose. The other side has the normal mounting holes underneath the spring hanger.

I got to figure out a better way to mount it. They did a real monkey job of putting this thing back together.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The spring mount just has the two bolts on the top and the bottom was "cut to fit" around the other piece. This seems like a flimsy set up for the spring hanger. It just sort of fits around the other metal piece that came loose. The other side has the normal mounting holes underneath the spring hanger.

I got to figure out a better way to mount it. They did a real monkey job of putting this thing back together.
If this is the type of WORKMENSHIP that went into this bob build, I would If I was you, look at the rest of the build VERY CLOSELY

DeucesWild11

Yeah I have, found allot of missing bolts when I had to replace the rear end. Stuff was just plain missing when I got it, like the parking brake!

She's in a much better place now..

gimpyrobb

Is that a trailer spring pack? I would think someone on here would have one of those available. I would replace it and attach it so it was up against the frame tight and with all the bolt holes used.

I know you know this, just posting in case someone is looking for right/wrong ways of doing things.