• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1987 deuce recovery

OkieM1008morrison

went south to OKC last weekend and picked up a nice m35a2 bed, its not a cargo dropside bed, but paying less than scrap price I was more than happy to drag it home. not to mention he loaded it with a forklift. :-D I also dove into my fuel tank, cleaned it with mean green degreaser and after days of scrubbing and washing out. finally hit it with muratic acid.....fizzed and hissed and smoked for a good 15 min. finally washed the tank out and was seeing good results. here are a few of the photos of the 1/4 inch layer of UMO sludge that had settled over the years, I'm almost shure that the previous owner drained the oil from every vehicle and lawnmower he owned and dumped it directly in the tank......:mad: the tank actually isn't as rusty as I thought it would be, like everything so far its been neglected, so I'm using a lot of elbow grease, reading of fellow brothers posts, and as few greenbacks as this firefighter wants to spend. working on a lead for some unwanted parts for the deuce that are currently sitting idle beside a rural fire dept. west of town, fingers crossed for a homerun deal!:mrgreen:new bed.jpgtank clean.jpgtank cleaner.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One way to cleanout rust is to make a sheetmetal cover for the lift pump hole and gauge sending unit hole and then dump a bunch of P rock in there and roll it down a hill.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If he used muratic acid in it, theres nothing left to clean. It should be good to go. MAke sure the acid is neutralized and your ready to re-install.

rustystud

If he used muratic acid in it, theres nothing left to clean. It should be good to go. MAke sure the acid is neutralized and your ready to re-install.
Can you still get "Muratic" acid anymore ? I was looking for some awhile back and was told due to EPA regulations the acid could only be sold to a licensed dealer. That was at the local Home Depot . They also stopped carrying "Phosphoric" acid. They only sell this watered down "Phosfo" junk.

FloridaAKM

Try Zep purple degreaser next time. The active ingrediant is sodium hydroxide, which is a caustic, not an acid, so don't use it on aluminum. It will clean on an industrial level better than anything else available now & it is not diluted down out of the container. The company I work for uses it to clean heat exchangers, concrete & anything else that needs heavy cleaning. Its avaliable @ the Home Depot for those who need to clean out or clean off something. I bought 70 gallons for the last big cleanup & there is still some left.

OkieM1008morrison

I have heard you can also use brass BB's in the tank roll it down a hill, the brass isn't as harsh. haven't tried that yet. I bought muratic acid at my local lowe's, came in a gallon jug and they still sell it no questions asked. after I bought this mean green degreaser, I found the zep purple and bought a gallon of it also, im going to use it last to clean it , wash it out, and call that good. its no longer smelling like diesel in the tank...it smells like pine! im still temped to coat the inside with a product ive found made by KBS coatings its guaranteed for life and they make a kit for a 50 gallon tank....I don't want to clean this tank again. not to mention it was full of diesel when I started...

mbehne

Pretty sure you can still get muratic acid, but prepaired to sign a few times to get it. We used it to clean the real nasty boat hulls/etch aluminum until the meth heads made getting ahold of large quantities a huge hassle.

mike

bonedoc

Nice truck!! The pics of your gauges look nice. Looks like then had been replaced/upgraded.
I did the por-15 tank sealing on my fuel tank. The kit came with cleaner, etcher, and sealer. The Kbs comes the same way. It is a long tedious process but the results I got were really nice. The cleaner had the inside of my tank looking like new. It is a long process that gets repeated but works. I found that flipping the tank quickly from end to end would bathe the baffles really well and cleaned them up nice.

OkieM1008morrison

Yes the previous owner put in some aftermarket gauges from oreilly's the temp gauge was nice, the truck never ran over 180 on the way home. I've heard good things about Por-15, I just want to make shure I do a good Job and make 100% shure I will have a clean tank from now on.

OkieM1008morrison

got to work on a few things.....:p went on a short trip to southern Oklahoma and found a great deal on a fender, hood, window glass, door handles fuel gauge, kill pull switch...and a few other things to start bringing my deuce back up to par, the previous owner let a 300+ pound girl on the hood, so it was toast. he also hit a tree with the passenger fender... a little liquid courage goes a long way, he didn't have a story for the broken glass in the door, or the windshield...so they had to be replaced. I also received my 4 gallons of paint, plus 6 rattle cans from rapco paint!!!! im super excited I can begin the paint prep. I also managed to get my tank back on, cleaned the **** out of the tank literally! it had 2 gallons of sediment from used motor oil, no wonder the filters were clogging up every 10 miles....ive learned so much about this truck in a short period of time, I learn even quicker on the side of I-35 north at 3am :shock: I haft to say thanks to my 2 best friends paul and ryan thev've helped me the whole time and been great to bounce ideas off of for things that would go wrong. spent all day today putting all the new goodies on the truck, and then spent the evening driving the truck around town....:) I AM IN LOVE!!!!! no better feeling than hearing the turbo spool up and shifting those gears, on my way to southern Oklahoma I passed 2 uparmored Humvee's on a transport trailer...makes me want one! so ive got two questions for a newbie deuce owner... my data plate says 87k1774 1041-10008 my motor is an 87 model, but I know my truck cant be an 87... whats my year? how do I tell? 2nd question... a little advice on putting in a door glass for the passenger door? I know theres an access panel, tricks tips? thank you,

old fender.jpgold glass.jpgparts.jpgnew fender.jpgnew glass.jpgnew sheet metal.jpguparmored.jpgbattery box.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck is a 1987 USAF truck. The Unit number 87K1774 and the Serial number 1041-10008 are correct for a 1987. Very few USAF trucks came with winches. Yours is one of the few.

Does your truck have the data plates on the dash? Is there a blue warranty plate also? Post a picture of the area and the plates.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Data plates are correct for a 1987 w/w. Congrats

At this point we know of three USAF Deuces with winches

Three cargo trucks, serial numbers 1041-10007, 1041-10008 and 1041-10009. The unit numbers are 87K1773, 87K1774 and 87K1775

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An USAF deuce with a complete data plate is a find also. That one must of got overlooked. Most data plates were cut or removed when the AF dispositioned to DMRO. I just got a NOS replacement data plate (W/W) for mine. Soon to be a winch truck.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Air Force issued a contract for new Deuce for 1987, 1988 and 1989. The other branches got a few of them.

The three trucks w/w are just the ones that members have listed. I am sure there are more but we have no way of finding out. That is why we started the USAF thread.

CARNAC can look up the last entry for Army trucks but not the other branches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks