• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2002 HmMWV DEEEEP fording ? PICS

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a hitch you'll be best served buying the one from BlackDog, rather than one that bolts in place of the pintle hook.

The pintle is too high up for most civilian trailers, and the further away you get from the "bumper" that it goes on, the more leverage.

The "pinball" type that are a flat piece of steel and the 2" tube beneath it are complete junk, and not suitable to anything other tan holding decorative flags. They bend really fast when you try to tow a trailer that weighs a couple thousand pounds and are using a drop hitch.

I have the overpriced one from Federal, but the one from Black Dog is half the price and still more than enough to tow most trailers (but not sure if I'd attach a winch to it like with the Federal one)

sp00n

excellent, certainly glad you know where, when and how this accident will happen, but based on that response, this will only happen to someone who uses it as a daily driver? LOL….OK, carry on.
Putting an airlift bumper on a Humvee for rear end traffic accident protection is about as effective as wearing a parachute on a commercial airliner. It's not gunna work in the 0.00001% chance you even need it anyway. Enjoy your pretzeled frame and destroyed $1000 bumper to save yourself a repair bill. Nonsense

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Putting an airlift bumper on a Humvee for rear end traffic accident protection is about as effective as wearing a parachute on a commercial airliner. It's not gunna work in the 0.00001% chance you even need it anyway. Enjoy your pretzeled frame and destroyed $1000 bumper to save yourself a repair bill. Nonsense
ignorance Is bliss…you have clearly never seen what other vehicles look like after they have struck the back of bumper on an H1 or hmmwv, other than some paint missing on the hmmwv bumper, the cars are generally totalled.
but damn, what would I know,,,good luck bud,

sp00n

Absolutely nothing about the airlift bumper is designed to resist impact. It's for moving attachment points off the body enough for aerial slings, per the name. An airlift bumper would just be another expensive part you'd be replacing in these scenarios

You're a grumpy old bumper salesman. Cool story.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely nothing about the airlift bumper is designed to resist impact. It's for moving attachment points off the body enough for aerial slings, per the name. An airlift bumper would just be another expensive part you'd be replacing in these scenarios

You're a grumpy old bumper salesman. Cool story.
LOL, clearly you’ve never been in the military or ever sling loaded anything from a helicopter, just happened To be my old job….we sling loaded Hmmwv’s without a bumper noob, the term airlift bumper was something made up by some noob.
Army had rear bumpers, USMC did not…maybe you go read a TM.

sp00n

LOL, clearly you’ve never been in the military or ever sling loaded anything from a helicopter, just happened To be my old job….we sling loaded Hmmwv’s without a bumper noob, the term airlift bumper was something made up by some noob.
Army had rear bumpers, USMC did not…maybe you go read a TM.
I'm an army contractor that works with aviation and motorpool all day every day for a living. There's 40 some odd HMMWV right outside my office door and about half of them have airlift bumpers- exactly the nomenclature everyone uses for them on post. They are straight up not designed for impact resistance and are purpose built to move the sling loops away from the body, particularly for slide in shelters, noob. There is no triangulation on the bumper edges and it won't save the truck during a rear collision. Most civilian vehicles are lower than the bumper and will just get into the tire and control arms causing more problems before the bumper would come into play anyway. If you're being rear ended by an F250, that bumper has no chance.

Furthermore if you were actually concerned with crash resistance you'd park the truck permanently because if you get hit in the driver's door in an unarmored drmo truck you're just dead. Not to mention the low, zero neck support seats and the fact your dome is gunna bounce off the b pillar like a basketball, the non collapsing no airbag metal stake of a steering column and the fact AM General has declared these vehicles not road worthy opening you up to lawsuits. If traffic crashes are a serious concern surplus military vehicles for road use are not the hobby for you.

Moving on..

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I'm an army contractor that works with aviation and motorpool all day every day for a living. There's 40 some odd HMMWV right outside my office door and about half of them have airlift bumpers- exactly the nomenclature everyone uses for them on post. They are straight up not designed for impact resistance and are purpose built to move the sling loops away from the body, particularly for slide in shelters, noob. There is no triangulation on the bumper edges and it won't save the truck during a rear collision. Most civilian vehicles are lower than the bumper and will just get into the tire and control arms causing more problems before the bumper would come into play anyway. If you're being rear ended by an F250, that bumper has no chance.

Furthermore if you were actually concerned with crash resistance you'd park the truck permanently because if you get hit in the driver's door in an unarmored drmo truck you're just dead. Not to mention the low, zero neck support seats and the fact your dome is gunna bounce off the b pillar like a basketball, the non collapsing no airbag metal stake of a steering column and the fact AM General has declared these vehicles not road worthy opening you up to lawsuits. If traffic crashes are a serious concern surplus military vehicles for road use are not the hobby for you.

Moving on..

2002 HmMWV DEEEEP fording... Right to DEEEEP DOO DOO

Sure hope my DMV and insurance
agent is not reading this.

Taking a chance on a beer run, CAMO

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because people refer to something using certain terms doesn't make them official.

In the parts manual the "airlift bumper" is simply referred to as "bumper, vehicular"
No mention of airlift anything

it also shows braces going from the frame to the outer ends of the bumper.
These braces won't do anything to mitigate vertical load stress on the bumper, but how they are positioned will certainly provide strength in the case of force being applied from the rear.

On the other hand, doing a search in the parts manual for "airlift" does come up with mwo 2320-280-20-6, which is the Airlift Bumper Reinforcement modification, so there ARE technical documents that refer to it as the "airlift bumper"

bumper 1.png
bumper 2.png
bumper 3.png
bumper 4.png

I will argue that a 2x8" steel tube, with reinforcement brackets going to both ends, will take a heck of a lot more impact force than the aluminum body of the HMMWV will, and will greatly reduce the cost of repair compared to a vehicle without it.

sp00n

Just because people refer to something using certain terms doesn't make them official.

In the parts manual the "airlift bumper" is simply referred to as "bumper, vehicular"
No mention of airlift anything

it also shows braces going from the frame to the outer ends of the bumper.
These braces won't do anything to mitigate vertical load stress on the bumper, but how they are positioned will certainly provide strength in the case of force being applied from the rear.

On the other hand, doing a search in the parts manual for "airlift" does come up with mwo 2320-280-20-6, which is the Airlift Bumper Reinforcement modification, so there ARE technical documents that refer to it as the "airlift bumper"

View attachment 876545
View attachment 876546
View attachment 876547
View attachment 876548

I will argue that a 2x8" steel tube, with reinforcement brackets going to both ends, will take a heck of a lot more impact force than the aluminum body of the HMMWV will, and will greatly reduce the cost of repair compared to a vehicle without it.
Where I am the Army owned/outfitted, still in service HMMWV equipped with them literally have airlift spray painted on them in typical Army stencils with arrows pointing to hook points. Not a huge leap of logic there.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where I am the Army owned/outfitted, still in service HMMWV equipped with them literally have airlift spray painted on them in typical Army stencils with arrows pointing to hook points. Not a huge leap of logic there.
yes, they point to the shackles that are rated for the truck to be airlifted by.
I've also seem bumpers with "sling and tie down" stenciled on them, with no mention of airlift.

To steal a picture from elsewhere:
humvee-airlift-winch-rear-bumper_1_c9343d3fde252d2bf46a2e2a7fa6d4f2.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "airlift bumper" only hangs down 1" from the frame , so not sure what the ground clearance issue is
it's not ground clearance so much as the departure angle changes quite a bit compared to a truck without it.
Even worse angle if you add a 2" receiver than hangs below the bumper.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was rock crawling I would rather not have the bumper but if I were going out for a good rear end accident I would want one. I have one on my m1165 and it’s like old school bumper! So bump or not bump or have one of each. I think they hang down below the body 10 or 12 inches it seems like. I’m starting to dig the mud flaps and I can’t wait to mount a license plate to it. Some say it works and some say it doesn’t. Maybe I can back into someone with out a bumper and we can see real time results…
Edit I forgot my truck doesn’t run so someone will have to back into me. Hahahaha non runners you gotta love them

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks