• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2010 Spring Uwharrie Rally

How many are coming?

• Just Me

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Me + one other

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Me + two

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Me + three

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Me + four

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Me + I'm dragging five!

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2010 Spring Uwharrie Rally Apr 16-18

Ok everybody,
Neil Hendrix has successfully passed the buck to me on starting a rally thread, and working out the cooking details.

Here we go:

When: DATES HAVE CHANGED!!!!! April 16-18, 2010

Where: Baden Lake Group Camp (rally site) Large field, woods, running water, pit toilets and nice shower house (w/hot water!)
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...group_camp.htm

Uwharrie National Forest (place where we are doing the trail rides, Baden Lake is part of this complex)
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...ie/welcome.htm

What: Trail rides, get together, good times.
Info on the trails:
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...harrie_off.htm
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...forest_off.htm

The trails are only big enough for pickup or smaller trucks/jeeps. Some areas will be tight for even jeeps, so it's up to you if you don't mind a little fender bending and paint swapping!

There are several other things to do if you don't feel like trail riding, and I personally plan to try to go to Delk's surplus while there. I'm a rail enthusiast as well, so a visit to the transportation museum might happen too.

NC Aviation Museum
www.ncairmuseum.org

Pisgah Covered Bridge
http://www.visitrandolphcounty.com/a...ions.php?id=11

Other things in the area (for folks who need a break):
Town Creek Indian Mound, North Carolina Zoological Park, Reeds Gold Mine, NC Pottery Center and lots of local potteries, ABLinn MV parts, M Series Rebuild), NC Transportation Museum.

It was a blast last year, with several wives, girlfriends, (not at the same time!) and children present.

Here is a link to photos from last year:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/37009-uwharie-meet-great-time.html

Cost: Last year we pretty much just asked for a general donations for the site, I'll let Neil handle that as he is reserving/paying for it. Food cost is TBD.

Food: As of right now, I have (been) volunteered to set up a couple of the m59 field ranges and a griddle I just acquired in a GP small tent to serve as the kitchen. If I can work out borrowing Sevo's MKT or if Cabell comes and wants to bring his, we will use that. I'd also like a hand in the kitchen, and contributions to the menu (good hunting season) would be appreciated!

I'm trying to plan out a menu, starting with a Friday dinner, and ending with Sunday breakfast/brunch. Once I get one done, I will start a food thread so those of you who wish to eat prepared meals can let me know so I can plan purchases and how much per person. You don't have to participate in the meals if you don't want too! my feelings will remain intact, I promise. :beer:

I never learn! NAVY= Never Again Volunteer Yourself!!!!:jumpin:

Last edited:

CGarbee

I'll have to check the dates. If I can come, I can cook (and will bring my MKT since I am used to it...). I'll also bring something "small" to drive on the trails since my five tons are way too big (dueces are too, but their are plenty of good forest roads/state roads in the area for local convoys...

MDSA

I am probably in, but with the change of dates it may not be easy to get off work Friday, so I may be late.

Thanx for organizing this.

stampy

Hey! I'll be there! Let me know how I can Help Ferro! Thanks Neil for the Pm, I don't know how I missed the thread. I hope to bring my M109 to sleep in and the 1009 for the trails!!! Does anyone know if Sevo is still around or did he move? I never see him posting here anymore...Chris and Steph sure helped to make the party last year! Now all we need is Gohot to bring the grill...(Hint, Hint)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sevo has been in New Mexico since the first of the year, probably up to his eyeballs at work! Cabell and I have both volunteered to bring our MKT's, so no-one should starve, but we might all get pangs for banana bread before the weekend is over!:cry:

ctmustang

Yeah put me down again. It's only about 15 miles from the farm so I'll be there again. Had a nice time last year and hope for a bigger turnout this time.
CT

stampy

Yes the banana bread was awesome. I PM'd Gohot even though I saw that he had sold /traded his deuce. I still hope he comes (even if it's in the van like last year...heck even if not in the van he can sleep in my 109)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stef is still here in Columbia, I might get her to come with me and Angie, or at least give me the recipe!

So far I have this lined up for the meals, suggestions welcome!

Friday Lunch- For the few that will be there, we are thinking hot dogs and hamburgers
Friday Night- spaghetti, salad, and garlic bread
Sat morning- Eggs, bacon, grits, biscuts
Sat lunch- thinking cold cuts, something fast so those going out to trailride or visit places can eat and run
Sat Night- Looking to do a big batch of chilli, or REAL sloppy joes with home cut fries.
Sun morning- pancakes, sausage, and more eggs.
Sun lunch- whatever is left over for those who are staying that late. It will depend on who brings the MKT and when they leave. I could always bring my griddle and a burner or two and cook the rest of the burgers and dogs.

Looking at probably $30 per person to cover the 5 major meals, maybe chip in a bit more if you are going to be there for Friday or Sun lunch.

Let me know what you guys think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks