• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Graves Mountain Virginia Rally - Labor Day Weekend

CGarbee

Well, it's that time again! We are putting together the 3rd Annual Graves Mountain rally here, looking for folks who want a nice family-oriented get-together, lots of outdoor activities at the Lodge, as well as trail rides, vending for anyone who wants to sell stuff, etc. We had a great time last year, maybe 30 people and 15 or so trucks, open to everyone from 1/4-ton trucks to 10-tons, there is something here for everyone!

As Mike has mentioned in a different thread, we have had a few work weekends this year and have managed to create a bunch of new trails ranging from really tough (rock garden up on top of the ridge, steep, use a built jeep and be fearless...) down to some mild ones on the side of a mountain and down in the valley by the river (great for the deuces and five ton trucks).

Also open to all trucks that are civilian in nature, 30 years old or older.

The website "should" be updated this week, but that seems to run behind... Nice thing is that the only thing that has really changed from last year are the dates and the addition of more trails... September 1-5, 2011 are the dates.

See www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com for info.

See the attached for this year's registration form.

Attachments

MyUncleRoy

Planning to attend. What's the event in Nelson?
I'll PM ya, as not to hijack this event's thread.

I checked out this event's website and it looks like a good time in a great spot. I did see a picture of Steve and Laura from Lost Jeepers on the site. Wonder where they will end up.....

Any chance of another run in later fall? Color change time?

CGarbee

We get real busy at the Lodge later on in the year with the Apple Harvest Festival the second, third, and fourth weekends in October... The place is crawling with folks so we can't do a trailride then... Plus, Clinto has his GA rally in October... :)

However, I am planning on getting back up to Graves in late July for yet another trail maintenance weekend... We've got a few more trails that we marked out the other week that we'd love to have open for this year's gathering.

Labor Day weekend is kind of a "dead" weekend at Graves, so it is a great time for us to gather...and I have permission from the folks to hold this rally on Labor Day weekend until "the end of time..." :) So you can mark your schedules for years to come...

Considering all the work that Steve, Laura, and the rest of their gang has put into improving the trails over the last three months, I'll be surprised if they are elsewhere...but you never know...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Plus, Clinto has his GA rally in October... :)
Thanks for the consideration, Cabel. :beer:

I love the pictures on the Graves website. This looks like a gorgeous rally.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't wait for this event, we've done this for a few years and it gets better every time. This is open to all vehicle types, jeeps to large MVs, there are some new trails this year that will allow the large trucks to offroad in the woods along with everyone else. This year, WATER permitting we're going to have a mud bog, also we'll set up a Slow Race on Saturday (put in lowest gear, slowest one wins). Just getting together for a offroad and camping rally in the nice country setting on Labor Day weekend is a perfect family summer-ender, bring the kids, the dog and the BBQ and enjoy the weekend and the vehicles. Here's the flyer, will be sending in my application this week.

Attachments

powerhouseduece

However, I am planning on getting back up to Graves in late July for yet another trail maintenance weekend... We've got a few more trails that we marked out the other week that we'd love to have open for this year's gathering..
I am a go for the 24th if you need help. I can load the chain saws, the old lady, my brother and myself in the camaro or the m1009 and head down. If I bring the car down, we can have a SS car and chain saw show :jumpin:

CGarbee

Great looking flyer Maddawg... Just remember folks, that the BBQ supper on Saturday night is included in the registration (as is use of the Jr. Olympic Pool for the entire weekend)...

Powerhouseduece: Since I'm driving up in the 944S2, I'll arrange for us to borrow some of the on-site 4x4's... Drive down in whatever is more comfortable for you... We'll meet up at the Lodge at 9:00 AM (just come in and ask for me at the office...). Bring your swim gear for an after work dip (either in the river or in the pool...).

CJ9/Granny

Our registration will be coming soon... we're looking forward to doing this again. CGarbee is probably the only one who knows so far, but old "Granny" is down for the count with a badly cracked and broken frame. I am presently building up a '95 Wrangler for my trail riding vehicle. Once it is done, and I am not totally burnt out, I am considering an M38 or old Willys as a milder project. But for now... still :deadhorse: !

CGarbee

Hated to get the news about Granny... I'm really glad that I got to take that ride during the Uwharrie gathering. She will be missed.

However, it's really good to hear that you will be up at Graves even without her... If you need to, you can hitch a ride in the XM708 with me...

Meanwhile, Mike from SC wins the prize for having the first registration in my hands...

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
twa,

It can get cold at night, arrive with a full tank of fuel, you can shop for food at the local general store, bring your own, or eat at the lodge. If you eat breakfast at the lodge and you are hungry before dark, it's your own fault! Explanation - its in the Blue Ridge mountains, the creek and pool water is cold , the temps drop at sundown, the closest gas stations are back in Monroe (12 to 15 miles), only the Sat. night meal is included in the fees (but, again, if you're hungry Sunday morning, it's your own fault). Bring a cheerful attitude, oh, and the field we setup in does have some dirt scattered amongst the rocks, so it can be interesting to pitch a tent and sleeping on the ground will not be comfortable.

CGarbee

Thought I would have to clean the latrin or bring the drinks etc... I plan to pull my M101 camper outfit for gear and sleep.
Thanks for the info
We have a local commercial company that pumps out the porta potties every day...

If you bring extra drinks, I'm sure that "somebody" will help you consume them...

Seriously, Mike has covered just about everything in his reply. Only thing that I'd point out is that the closest gas is in Madison (county seat), not "Monroe"... He's right about it being about 15 miles down the road from the Lodge.

Looking forward to seeing you

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew it was one of the presidents, haven't spent enough time going through it to accurately remember the name. Either that or I have a case of CRS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks