• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2015 TX MV Rally

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, just to clarify, there is no place to park at the museum overnight? I should plan to arrive Saturday and be there Saturday during the day only?

What time does it open on Saturday?

Thanks
The real re-enactor fanatics are probably getting set up today (Monday). You will have no problem setting up at the museum grounds Thursday, the museum rally will be in full swing. Vendors need to register, preferably in advance! They run a tight ship! If you have not registered as a vendor and show up randomly Sat, they will turn you away.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... Vendors need to register, preferably in advance! They run a tight ship! If you have not registered as a vendor and show up randomly Sat, they will turn you away.
This conflicts with posts #34 and 35 on page 4. So we can't just set up and sell out of the back of our MVs at the museum? Do we need to have a swap meet at the offroad park? Just confused since this is my first time to this rally.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This conflicts with posts #34 and 35 on page 4. So we can't just set up and sell out of the back of our MVs at the museum? Do we need to have a swap meet at the offroad park? Just confused since this is my first time to this rally.
Here is my take on this subject. If you have a few items and you want to sell them out of the back of your truck at the designated Steel Soldiers display area on Sat, I am sure nobody will stop you. But if you brought a huge amount of stuff and want maximum exposure to the collector crowds, and want a flea market space for your trailer, you BETTER pre-register on the AmericanGIMuseum.org website. Click on "events", then "living history weekend", then the menu pulls to the right, and select "registration".

Of course, at the off road park, you can do whatever you want sales wise, but it will not be a crowd of 1000's of crazed surplus buyers.

TAMU86

Firstly, want to give out a huge THANK YOU to FuzzyToaster for coming out and lifting the AAR Mobility Shelter to its new home on a Ft. Polk 5-ton trailer for the show exhibit. We learned a few new things about the M936A2 in the process.

Secondly, we could use a loaner of someone's Deuce cargo bows and cover (woodland camo) if possible for one of our exhibit trucks for the living history compound. Give me a PM if you or know someone else can give us hand to complete the truck setup.

And lastly on the subject of the Vendor/Swap subject... agree with NDT about options. If you have only a few items, would suggest you either swap at the offroad ranch or bring them on Saturday when you drive in on the police convey to get them on the property with out having to carry them from the designated public parking lot.

If you have a good amount of swap items, I would also encourage you to quickly register at the G.I. website. As a vendor you can stay overnight at the G.I. Museum if you want until Sunday morning. I saw several swap vendors simply camping out their MV trailers/trucks. PLEASE NOTE- you have to be there by Thursday or very early morning Friday... as the owners are restricting vehicle movement on Friday due to school kids and buses. Here is their email this morning "The Living History School Day is from 9AM to 3PM on Friday. For safety reasons we will strictly enforce a no-driving policy during the School Day and on Saturday. Because of this, we request that you plan to arrive on site with your MV prior to 9AM Friday or after 3PM on Friday, but before 10AM Saturday. If you show up at any other time, we will have to stage you in an alternate location until we can allow you to come in." There is a lot of foot traffic so a large crowd to move your wares and can hang out of the camp exhibit in the evening...
Question to NofearNohope: Have you secured parking spots with Leisha for Saturday for the SS convey group?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Folks I've run into another issue. I'll make a decision tomorrow if I'll be able to make it but it ain't looking good for the home team.

Confirmed, won't make it.

Last edited:

OL AG '89

O.K. here's the plan for Friday coming out of North Houston (Kingwood) I-59N, FM1314W, I-45N, SH105W, SH-6N to (stops at kids house) then ......... O.R.R.
I wont be going for a speed run, but rather "quality" of seat time..... if anybody is interested in joining up along the way PM me and we can setup meet and roll locations....
I may be towing the M1009 or driving it..... not sure at this point, depends on what "extras" I bring with me.

I also have 4 - HMMV 37X12.5X16.5 Wranglers for sale (4 - $350) if anyone is interested ( 85 - 90% tread) and 4 - 15X10, 6 on 5.5 - black rims (PRO COMP Steel Wheels - Series 51)(4 - $150)(fit CUCV with 33X12.5X15 tires) I may have a 5th if I can find a stock rim at the rally (5 - $175) .........PM if interested......................I'll only bring these if i have a 100% buyer.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
last week was a bad week at the home front.. the neighbors door came across the street and into my yard and mauled my wifes very small dog. bottom line its jaws are broken and on a feeding tube. wife told me to go anyway but hate to leave her doing all this work caring for the dog by herself. better luck next year

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not going to the event but would like to comment on the swap meet issue. One of the ways the museum supports itself is through vendor fees from the swap meet. This is their event that we're allowed to participate in. Personally I think having some items for sale at the offroad park is a great idea and hope everyone is able to sell or exchange everything they want. But I also think that unless you're actually paying for a vendor spot you should leave your items back at camp. Just my opinion and ymmv.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be passing through there with my duramax. If I can get my hands on a pintle hitch I'll tow it to the Rally
A pickup wont be able to tow this trailer, it's 11K lbs empty and designed to be pulled by a HEMTT. It will require at least a 5 ton as it stands a good chance of pushing around a deuce at highway speeds.

mp_tx

I have a new tube and flap for a m151 or anything 7.00 x 16 that is excess to my needs and taking up room in the garage. $40. I can bring it Saturday if anyone is interested.

m715mike

It's almost rally time!

Guys!!!!

It's almost rally time in Texas.

nofearnohope was so excited that he decided to stick his Deuce in the mud this afternoon just to get warmed-up for the rally!!! It took a couple tries and a little effort with the shovel, but we got him out this evening.

IMG_0882.jpgIMG_0883.jpgIMG_0881.jpgIMG_0879.jpg

I can't wait. Looks like the weather is going to be perfect and we are going to have an awesome weekend!

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't be able to make it this year. Every plan and arrangement I made basically fell apart this week.

Be be safe out on the road and will look forward to coming out next year.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of you who plan to return on the 290 Freeway through Houston, be aware of a total closure of eastbound lanes at loop 610 all weekend. The new 290 eastbound to I-10 connector will be open, but things will be plenty backed up.

Barrman

It seems we are all having "life" interfere with our plans for the weekend. It will just be Colton and I. His girlfriend has some family stuff she can't get out of. He has an academic UIL district competition in Brenham tomorrow. When ever that is over and he gets home, we will head to the ranch. We honestly have no clue on time.

The M35A2 is full camper ready with the carpet and cots all set up. Mini is loaded on the trailer behind the M715. Burgers are pre made and bagged. Cooler ice will get picked up today on the way home. We are ready to start blowing smoke in that direction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks