• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2016 SoCal Spring Rally

bogshotrods

OHHHH YEA, and how easy was that to do and did you also get it registered as NON commercial. I'm going to try to do that with the '91 M923A2 real soon now that it's 25 years old, like in the next couple of weeks. This $700.00 a year for registration BS is a make or break on if I keep the truck !!!

bogshotrods

I just printed out all of the forms needed to register the truck as Historical and made an appointment at the Barstow DMV for this Friday so wish me well. Did you have to take the truck to the DMV ???? I plan on showing pictures of it dressed up with American Flags when I put it in the 4th of July parade last year o show it's a parade vehicle :whistle: and not used commercially , dazzel em with briliance or baffel em with BS is what I say , and I hate hate the DMV !!!!

bogshotrods

OH Cool, thanks for the info I'll go to AAA in Victorville, closest to Big Bear on Thursday and if they can't do it I'll go ahead and go to the DMV in Barstool. So you didn't have to take the truck with you ? I would but that's a 90 mile round trip and with diesel at $2.69 in Big Bear and 8 MPG it adds up quick

Gripy

I did not need the truck there. But make sure they take the $25 fee. Mine didn't at first so all of my paper work got kicked back to me the first go around.

bogshotrods

Thanks for the heads up on the 25 buck fee, I have the truck on "Non Op" right now, the renewel was just last month in February so I'm hoping to get out of the $700.00 registration fees, so we'll see how that plays out. Been in Ca all my 68 years and love it here in Big Bear but the registration fees suck !!! What really pisses me off is I have 3 vehicles with Veterans plates with my Combat Infantry Medal sticker on em and they charge me 40 bucks a year to show my pride in being an Army Combat Veteran , while most other states don't charge anything

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha...well I can't say that I fixed it cause now it is working as it should. I went out to work on it and it fired right up. Maybe the electrical short fairy took care of it for me.

bogshotrods

Hey Gripy, this is a bit off topic , after reading that you did your historical plates at AAA I went down to Victorville Thursday and tried to do just that but only to find out the DMV won't let AAA do anything over 10,000 pounds and since my truck is 21,000 pounds empty I was advised I need to take it to the DMV , so Friday I drive 60 miles to Barstow ( closest to Big Bear) and things seemed to be going ok until the lady helping couldn't get it to enter into her computer, so now steps in the office manager and she looks at the paper work and tells me there's not enough didgets in the trucks VIN and how did I get it registered in the first place, so I told her I did the original registration at the Barstow office 3 years ago with no issues then she cops an attitude about " you guys think you can go out and buy surplus military vehicles and just play with your toys on public highways", than tells me that the Barstow office made a mistake 3 years ago and should have never allowed the registration to go thru due to the 8 didget VIN. She told me that the feds have required a 17 didget VIN since '84 and revoked my registration !!!!!!! Until the Sacramento office can review this issue and can make a determination on what to do about the VIN, I did a VIN verification at the Arrowhead CHP office with no problems and actually the CHP officer was way cool and wanted to know how he could get 1. The office manager told me the CHP also made a mistake and should have never completed the VIN verification. She also told me that with historical plates the vehicle WASN'T allowed on ANY streets and has to be trailered to events and that's BS. It states in the CVC that the vehicles CAN be driven to parades/club events etc, but I was so pissed at that point that I didn't want to argue about it. So now my truck is in limbo for at least 2 weeks until the DMV can review this issue, no wonder I hate the Ca DMV :evil:

True Knight

And that right there is why people hate the dmv. It only takes a few bad apples to ruin the reputation of a whole bunch of people.

By the way bogs, if you get it sorted out will you be able to make it to the rally?

NovacaineFix

Once you get your truck out of limbo, you need to take your truck and go to a registration service to sort of the paperwork and get your truck legally tagged and registered.
By your sig line, I assume it is your 923?

Not sure about the 10,000 pound rule with AAA, sounds like BS to me, but if it is true then it may be something to do with commercial type vehicles. I would look into that just to be safe, at least for your own well being anyway.

As for the use of your truck with Historical Plates, that is BS. If it had to be trailered to an event, even for a parade use, then why would you even need plates to begin with?

Let's entertain the vehicle code so you can school that lady at the DMV:

California Vehicle Code: Division 3: Chapter 1, Article 8, section 5004

Here is the link(http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=5004.) it's too long to paste on here.

It does state, that any vehicle, which it describes [mostly vehicles that are 25 years or older], moved or operated on the highway for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose....blah blah blah, tagged with historical plates.

What is historical exhibition? Well the dictionary states that exhibition is the display of works of art or other items of interest. So, this being a historical vehicle, showing it off by driving down the road qualifies under the description of exhibition. It would be the same as if you drove in down Main Street in a parade, just faster.
There is no definitive meaning of similar purposes in the vehicle code, so that part is left to interpretation, I guess.

As long as you are not using it for commercial purposes or have any mileage limitations of any sort, it is really hard to state and enforce what is exhibition and what isn't.

I know that sounds like being ultra technical, but these people wrote the code, it's not our fault that written in a clear descriptive or definitive way.

Good Luck man!
[h=4][/h]​

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back on topic, big thanks to saltydeuce for providing use with a few sticks for the camp fire. I went to his house this weekend and loaded up the truck. Do you guy's think this will be enough?
Brutusfullofwood.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks