• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v charging thru slave port

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I did not come up with this method, but I have used it, and it's working good.

The slave port is a direct connection to the batteries. For a jump start you will need some decent gauge wires. But, for charging, its not a large requirement.

I went with a NOCO Genius G7200 24v charger.
I went with a Graywacke GEISLV-SR. This company also has other 24v slave connector items.

I took the one extension which has the eyelets and cut off the ends. I crimped and soldered on female blades. The red line is the plus connected to the + on the unit. I added some girth to the wires through wrapping a few times with some electrical tape. I now have a nice watertight seal on the 24v slave adaptor.

I now have a clean method of charging the Optima red top batteries. It takes care of the AGM batteries. Plug on the slave port and walk away.
24v slave port.jpg24v slave port 1.jpg24v slave port 2.jpgNOCO G7200.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've got an interacter ps series charger that I've been using like that for a couple years, its quite handy.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy just brought a slave cable end up with pig tails and I hook my Schumacher to it.

jimbo913

Nice setup but since I only have one unit it is overkill for me. I am just going with the Battery Tender waterproof model and save 25 bucks. I will mount it inside and be done with it.

Down the road I still might buy one of these chargers though for general maintenance of all the 12v batteries I have sitting around. Might try to bring back to life a few ATV batteries that died over winter.

rustystud

Nice setup but since I only have one unit it is overkill for me. I am just going with the Battery Tender waterproof model and save 25 bucks. I will mount it inside and be done with it.

Down the road I still might buy one of these chargers though for general maintenance of all the 12v batteries I have sitting around. Might try to bring back to life a few ATV batteries that died over winter.
I have the Battery Tender (24 volt) mounted to the inner fender of my Deuce and hardwired to the batteries. Also my MEP-002 and MEP-003 both have Battery Tenders on them. All have worked great for years now.

TaylorTradingCo

I had a situation come up recently and figured out a pretty cool way to charge through a slave port, only a bit more complicated as I don't have a 24v charger. I bought some Fermont 3KW generators that still had the onboard 24v batteries in them, but they were too weak to turn them over. They still had some life in them, because the gauges would light up and the fuel pump would run, but just not enough umph to spin the motor. I don't have a 24v battery charger, so I took two 12v batteries, hooked them together and to my spare slave cable. I plugged the cable into the jump port on the generator, then I put my 12v battery charge on one of the batteries. The next day when I came in it fired right up. I did all three of them that way and they all work great now. I would swap out the battery the charger was on every other day, but it really didn't take long to do all of them.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
What's neat about this method is... I have a smart battery charger which I can use for other batteries. 12v lead acid, 12v agm, 24v lead acid, and 24v agm.

I have used the Genius G7200 and a battery minder to bring back 2 Optima redtop agm individually. I then put them both back into the MEP-803A and can keep them maintained thru the 24v slave port. I have also used it and the battery minder to bring back 2 Excide 2HN lead acid batteries. I then put them both back into the MEP-802A and can keep them maintained thru the 24v slave port. So, since the unit handles all the 12v types of batteries, and 24v types of batteries, is smart, has other features too, and even if the power blinks, it goes back to the mode it was in.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Graywacke Engineering makes a bunch of slave port connectors. Here is a link to the slave port product PDF

I used the mini-nato connector.

I am sure you could use any 24v charger/maintainer and attach this end.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I went to their website and ordered it. The light duty slave connector was $39

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I have found a issue with Optima batteries in good shape. After coming back to charge the batteries, the NOCO G7200 freaks out because the voltage is above 24 volts. I have found if I run the priming pump some, it will take the voltage peak down. The G7200 unit will then go through the process and charge.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy.
The MEP-803A really did not need charging. I thought I would just hook up the Noco G7200 charger and let it sit and do its thing. After I hooked it up, the orange error light was blinking. (2 Optima REDTOP batteries) I found the batteries were sitting very nicely at 26.36 volts. So, NO, they did not need any charging. I did turn on prime and run for a minute to take the peak off, and then connected the charger. Yes, it quickly went through all its steps and gave a green light saying all was good. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks