• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v charging thru slave port

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just ordered the light duty slave plug, shipping to North Georgia was $3! gotta love a company that does business like that. have a several 12v battery tenders and one 24v model and sometimes the wife or one of my buddies like to "help me out" or borrow my stuff so i plan to permanently attach the plug to the charger so it shouldn't be wrongly used.

Triple Jim

I know you're all set now with a nice way to charge, but here's an alternative I did a couple years ago. Since the charge current is low, I connected to +24v and ground inside the control cabinet of my 003A, putting a fuse in the + wire.

mep_charging_connector.jpgmep_charging_connector_inside.jpg

csheath

Howdy,
If you are looking for a solar panel kit which the military uses on equipment.

You can find the smaller Solargizer IS24L online out there.
View attachment 630336

/OR The larger PulseTech 24VPSC 735x640. (NSN 6130-1-487-0035) The solar panel is listed as 6.3 watts and is 9" x 11"
View attachment 630337
OH, the best way to use a solar panel = charge your batteries to there fullest using a charger, then use the solar charger to maintain and desulfate. Yes, the unit itself is a charger. But, to care for your batteries, have them in there best shape, and they will be maintained better. :)
My 803 came with the 24VPSC 735x640 installed. Most of the units on the lot had them. Mine will see very little direct sun because I placed it under a shed but the sun will peak in at certain times of the day.

solar-charger.jpg

I have solar panels connected to almost everything I have that may sit a while and has a battery. Just stuck one on the hood of my backhoe last week. Most of the dealers are now saying a 10w or smaller panel is safe to use without a controller so I am trying that theory on two of my 10w units.

Last edited:

Triple Jim

Thanks Guy. It just seemed like a bit of overkill to use the enormous slave connector to connect my 4 amp charger. I think the connector might be bigger than my charger. :D

No insult to anyone who does use the slave connector. It's certainly high quality.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Whichever way works for you.
I use the slave port since I am able to move the charger around between units.

Anything with a NATO slave port. Truck, HMMWV. Generator etc...

tburk49760

Just ordered the light duty slave plug, shipping to North Georgia was $3! gotta love a company that does business like that. have a several 12v battery tenders and one 24v model and sometimes the wife or one of my buddies like to "help me out" or borrow my stuff so i plan to permanently attach the plug to the charger so it shouldn't be wrongly used.
Please tell me where you found this? I need several...

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please tell me where you found this? I need several...
Howdy,
Read the thread. You can call the company and order the slave cable end. They sell different amperage pieces. The very light duty is what I am using. They also sell slave ends for using as jumpers, and they also sell complete nato jumpers. Saw a nice pallet with 6 Graywacke 500 amp jumper sets on GL about 6 months ago. New in the box. Did not need them, but that was a sweet pallet.

Graywacke Engineering Products

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
received slave plug today (3 days for 3 bucks can't beat that!) looks to be a high quality item, will test fit tomorrow and report back.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Now after collecting a few green things, I really like having a charger which I can move around. I simply throw it on the slave port and walk away. Since it's a smart charger, I can leave it there a week or month or whatever.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

The NOCO genius line of chargers are smart chargers.

The G7200 and larger have the ability for 12 volts/24 volts charging

FloridaAKM

I just hook a Genius G7200 charger up to the port with one clip hooked to ground(-) & the other to a empty .50 cal shell in the positive(+) port & leave it till the green ball stays solid. One day I will the correct plug. The Deuce won't work this way since it has a dual port plug. A bolt takes place of the .50 cal shell in the positive(+) pin port. Never a problem.

gatorbob

The slave port is a direct connection to the batteries.
I have a MEP-803A that was wired as a Tobyhanna tower unit. Will that slave port still give me a direct connection to the batteries? Honestly, I don't fully understand the Tobyhanna modification in the first place and it was undone by someone else.

thanks

smokem joe

I have a MEP-803A that was wired as a Tobyhanna tower unit. Will that slave port still give me a direct connection to the batteries? Honestly, I don't fully understand the Tobyhanna modification in the first place and it was undone by someone else.

thanks
I've removed this modification off of about half a dozen sets. It had nothing to do with the slave port. The slave port will get you 24v to the batteries

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
That is also why in the manuals it says to remember that the 24v slave receptacle is always hot. The only time it is not hot is when you disconnect the batteries.

NOCO G7200 hooked up here. Every now and then I hook it directly to the batteries individually to make sure they are equal. 24 volt charging is nice, but you also need to check them to make sure each is up.

Charge 1 battery 12 volt agm style, then move it over to the other battery.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks