• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V Digital Pyrometer

Billy Bobbed

Has anyone else installed a 24 volt digital pyrometer.Are you getting the right readings off of it.I installed mine yesterday and was trying it out today.When I first start the truck im getting a 0 to 30 reading,but when im driving the truck it goes up fast.With the engine temp at about 165 going about 50 to 55 MPH outside temp is 65 its doing about 240 pyro temp on level ground.I climbed a hill it got up to 400.I was wondering are these cheap digital pyrometers accurate.What is a good and bad pyro temp.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those readings are way off. It should idle around 300deg or so and going down the road under light load it should be running around 600deg or so. The engine temp will have no affect on the pyro reading. It should come up fast when you "gas on it" and fall off just as quick when you let out of it.

Where do you have your probe installed? Did you get the probe and gauge for $30? I would never trust a $30 pyro personally.

Billy Bobbed

Those readings are way off. It should idle around 300deg or so and going down the road under light load it should be running around 600deg or so. The engine temp will have no affect on the pyro reading. It should come up fast when you "gas on it" and fall off just as quick when you let out of it.

Where do you have your probe installed? Did you get the probe and gauge for $30? I would never trust a $30 pyro personally.
It came with the probe.I installed it right above the turbo on the exhaust.Its a short probe.I guess you get what you pay for.I figured I would try it to see if it works.Later I will get a better one.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd just save my money and get a name brand setup when you can. You might want to go ahead and pull the probe. There have been reports of cheap probes breaking off and getting eaten by the turbo.

MO MV man

Has anyone else installed a 24 volt digital pyrometer.Are you getting the right readings off of it.I installed mine yesterday and was trying it out today.When I first start the truck im getting a 0 to 30 reading,but when im driving the truck it goes up fast.With the engine temp at about 165 going about 50 to 55 MPH outside temp is 65 its doing about 240 pyro temp on level ground.I climbed a hill it got up to 400.I was wondering are these cheap digital pyrometers accurate.What is a good and bad pyro temp.
Are you 100% sure that pyrometer is on Farenheit and not Celsius?

Why I ask is.......
You mention 240 at 50-55MPH.
If that 240 is C, that would be 464 Farenheit.

Climbing a hill, you mention 400.
If that 400 is C, that would be 752 Farenheit.

Both of those Farenheit numbers are very possible.

Billy Bobbed

+1. I have the same one from Auber. Worked great! Paid $90 IIRC.
Mine was a Auber 1812.After 2 days it shorted out and died,and started to smoke.I looked on Ebay again,there are cheaper ones and $90.00 ones.I didnt think there was a differance but the price,and the probe was shorter on mine.My probe was a 1/4 fine thread.The $90.00 ones use a 1/4 pipe thread.I should have known by the price,it was not going to last.I like the digital meter,but I dont know if its better than the manual meter.How long have you guys had your digital meter.

Billy Bobbed

I made a mistake on the number,its a N2006P no brand name.After looking at my probe and all the other probes for pyrometers I think I got the wrong one.It is a 24 volt meter.It looks just like the Auber 1812.When I got the meter it said 12V,so I Emailed the person they said it would work with 24V.Guess not.aua.Research be for you buy one.My2cents.

Billy Bobbed

After a couple of you guys said you had a digital one and they worked great I bought another one yesterday.But I paid $100 for one this time instead of $30.This one is a Auber 1812 it has the better probe 1/8 NPT.:beer: I hope its worth the money.Thanks guys for the info.

fireman9

auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

Auber Instruments... they work great and shipping was fast when I ordered mine.
Look at their web site, they do offer the gauge in 24volt red led display or green and blue display as well.

24 volt unit red $48.50

Automobile Multimeter for EGT, Boost, 24VDC [SYL-1813-24] - $48.50 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

As far as mounting look at item number Model: B1085B $15.50

Box for 1512,and 1812, and 1813. Black color [B1085B] - $15.50 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

And for those who want to add a warning buzzer it will run a relay that you could wire into the low air buzzer or just buy a 24 volt warning beeper like I did. It's plenty loud and can be easily heard over the road noise and can run directly off the unit because of the low current draw.

Item number 56965T14 $9.61
from McMacter-Carr
McMaster-Carr

The unit I ordered had the temp warning set for 900 degrees, I changed it to 1200 degrees and installed the thermocouple before the turbo and it works wonderful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks