• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v inline fuel pump

odnorth

Who has installed one of these. l'm thinking of making another fuel tank and relocating it in a different spot so l will not be using the factory pump, if someone can give me a make and model and how it worked out for you that would be great.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one I put on a truck a few months ago. It does not seem to be enough. This truck did not run well without the intank pump(to begin with).

I used an Airtex E8135. It does supply more fuel and pressure than the engine requires(can burn) but, it is still way under the flow rate of a stock in-tank pump.

The truck just hits a wall at 2000 rpm now.

Last edited:

Kasper31

cjtroutt
if you will mount your additional tank and use an external 24VDC electrical pump mounted near the bottem level of the tank you can TRANSFER the fuel to the main tank when it is needed. YES, it will most likely not keep up with the fuel pressure requirements for the engine however it will most likely transfer the fuel to keep the main tank nearly full. I have done this several times on my trucks.
PLEASE remember that you can overfill the main tank when doing this type of set up, I put a timer on my set up so that it would not overfill.
Kasper 31

Alredneck

Banned
Fuel pressure from the stock pump is a measly 7psi. GPH/GPM im not sure of.

I installed a 12V Carter universal pump on APOC back in the day and worked well. Carter also make a 24V pump. I got mine from the local Napa. They may have to order the 24V pump. ( I would of used it if it was in stock but didnt feel like waiting. )

Also there is a military 24V inline pump but not sure of the part number its looks like a box with to nipple fittings. Runs between 7-10psi.

As a side note, running extra pressure to the IP is a waste and may damage the IP itself. There is no added benefit. The IP does the work and the tank pump is just getting fuel up to the IP. The truck should run fairly well except at high rpm where it will lack power, may have a miss, and not get up to speed, as the IP is running out of the needed fuel to send to the injectors.

Tunring your fuel screw up doesnt increase the rate and pressure coming from the tank. You are just using more fuel overall. The best way to get more power from the IP is have it put on a flow table and have it recalibrated for what you want out of it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fwiw, Airtex manufactures almost all of the brand named pumps you will buy.(Except Facet)

The in-tank pump flows about 3 times the volume that the engine needs at full load.

As I said, this particular truck ran like poo without a functioning in-tank pump(a sign of something else weak). But, when the in-tank was working, it ran fantastic). As an experiment, I bought an in-line pump to try. It is not doing what I need. Your situation or experiences may differ.

Alredneck

Banned
You got a dealer for Airtex or a link or should we just google em.!

Im upgrading to dual civy big rig tanks on the M814 build and havent decided on which fuel pump to use yet.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I googled the company, then I called and spoke with an design engineer.

I ordered my pump through my local Carquest parts store.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cjtroutt
if you will mount your additional tank and use an external 24VDC electrical pump mounted near the bottem level of the tank you can TRANSFER the fuel to the main tank when it is needed. YES, it will most likely not keep up with the fuel pressure requirements for the engine however it will most likely transfer the fuel to keep the main tank nearly full. I have done this several times on my trucks.
PLEASE remember that you can overfill the main tank when doing this type of set up, I put a timer on my set up so that it would not overfill.
Kasper 31
Kasper if I added another tank I would do fuel line between them and they would stay at the same level the line would be 1 inch an fittings bungs weld in the bottom of the tank and shut off valve at each tank.
The sys is used on class 8 semi trucks for years.

Doghead let me know about the pump that you found out on any tech or data on it.
Thank you Keep up the info.

maxim

As for transfering fuel from one tank to another, I suppose any 24 volt would work. The stock in tank pump is a bit like a mini sump pump and seems to move alot of fuel. Here is a thread on this type of discussion on the electric pump for replacement of the regular in tank pump from a few years ago. The truck I mounted the 24 Carter pump on was driven in the winter once a mouth just keep it 'excersied'. It did not have any trouble starting. As to the flow rate and cooling, I am not an authority. However, with the truck running and pump working you can see and hear a what seems to be a normal amount of fuel coming out of the return tube back into the tank. I did not notice any loss of top end speed/rpms. If used for a transfer I suppose it depends on how fast you want to transfer fuel.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/11495-fuel-pump-question-2.html

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update, I found that my FDC was malfunctioning and it was restricting my fuel rate too much. I bypassed my fdc and my truck now runs 100% at full load and full RPMs.

The airtex pump seems to be performing fine now.

I still have concerns about the lower flow rate as the fuel flow does cool the HH(as per IP TM). Time will tell.

Kasper31

cjtrout, yes I agree with you on hooking up the tanks that way, however the reason I run the extra fuel tank hooked up my way is to get / keep the fuel lines higher so that the mud / deep snow etc can't pull them loose. I can run the line from the reserve tank using the 24vdc pump controlled by a timer, go thru a fuel filter then run the line attached to a crossmember to the stock tank for protection. The original truck tank has the required pump for the engine and the return lines ( as used on most diesels ) and the fuel gage. No selector valve needed. Just one fuel line either 3/8" ( -6 fuel hose ) or 1/2" ( -8 fuel hose ) no check valves either. I forgot to mention that I use a top mounted fuel pickup for a sucker tube with the fuel pump mounted to the inside of the truck frame.:p

Last edited:

Farmun

Looking for options to get my truck running again. Trouble starting it last few weeks, yesterday she wouldn't start at all. Trouble shooting began at the primary filter, no flow out the drain, so I replaced it and the secondary filters while I was at it. Turn on the switch, nice little hum from the tank, so I think the pump is doing it's thing. But, no flow at the secondary filter bleeders, and no flow at the primary bleeder. Arghhhhh! Now I have new filters, and dry lines. Going to pull the pump later this week, and see what's going on.

Does the leaf blower trick work?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You guys talked about a second tank and TRANSFERING, useing a transfer pump, to the feed tank, this is what was done on the 39 series 5Ts-- the m51a2, the m52a2, I think also the 543a2 and the 246a2, looks like ALL the multifuel twin tanks had the transfer pump set up. the transfer pump looked like the one used to pump fuel to the 109 box heater

Last edited:

renovate7

Farmun there have been several threads and pictures posted of the housing coming off the bottom of the pump. The pump still runs and makes noise but doesn't move any fuel. It only takes 10 minutes to pull the pump and look at it, I'd start there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks