• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$4 a gallon!

Hummer Guy

$4.60 today in Orrville Ohio

I started making/mixing my own fuel a few weeks ago.

60% waste oil
30% diesel fuel
10% unleaded gas

Mix and then filter to 1 micron. Then straight into the fuel tank!

So to make a total of 5gals, it would be 3gal of waste oil, 1.5gal of diesel fuel, and 0.5gal of gas. It costs me roughly $1.749/gal when done at TODAYS prices.
I wonder would the truck prefer this type of fuel over diesel. I would like to start running waste vegetable oil but I'm not really sure what to mix it with so it can be somewhat equally good as diesel

ToddJK

I wonder would the truck prefer this type of fuel over diesel. I would like to start running waste vegetable oil but I'm not really sure what to mix it with so it can be somewhat equally good as diesel
Best thing to do is mix it with fuel like diesel or gas. I've ran wvo before and here's my biggest problem with it, it made me hungry all the time as it smelled like a deep fryer and I could tell if they cooked fries, fish, or chicken in it.
Tactical Repair has warned about mixing wvo with wmo and doing so could cause gelling, so I would stick with mixing wvo with a standard fuel.
Whenever running alternative fuels, it's just never going to be as good or powerful as diesel or jet fuel but it will run and get you from point A to point B.

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To prevent WVO from gelling up when it cools off, you most likely have to have it plumbed in parallel to your existing fuel system; start on diesel until warm, switch to WVO, then when done running switch back to diesel and let it run an additional 10-15 minutes or so until purged. The WVO should be stored in a heated tank to prevent it from gelling up. Plus there’s the whole de-watering process to go through first before using it as a fuel.

Not to say it can’t be done, it’s just quite an involved process to prepare as a useable fuel.

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of solar panels, I get questions from folks all the time about them…it’s amazing how little most people really know about so-called “renewable energy,” and they are extremely confused when I tell them how petroleum oil is the one TRUE renewable energy source we are already harnessing.

I live with an off-grid system for my property; solar, batteries, propane generator for backup/cloudy days…. It requires regular maintenance. The lead-acid batteries (3 dedicated solar batteries, each one weighs over 1500-lbs) require “equalizing” every 45 days or so, where you increase the charge amperage to burn off sulfates and help keep the plates inside clean; when done, top off each cell with distilled water. And these batteries MUST be vented to outside air. The electronics (to convert the DC charge of batteries to useable household AC) are expensive and can fail at any point after 5-7 years; most reliable brands have a current backlog of weeks to months to deliver. We have a CRAPLOAD of heavy gauge wiring run between everything, and the solar panels are mounted to a heavy steel pole set in a LOT of concrete in the ground…the panels are NOT self-tracking, as our winds destroy those mechanisms in a matter of minutes as some neighbors have learned the hard way. So, twice a year the panels must be manually repositioned to catch the max sun charging potential (horizontal in summer time, about 45-degrees in winter time).

Batteries are a whole additional concern. Lead-acid batteries have a very finite lifespan, usually indicated by reduced ability to hold a charge. If one battery fails, it usually takes out all the other batteries. We’re going on 8 years with these lead-acid batteries now, and two of the three show degraded storage capacity. We have them stored in an insulated conex box, so when I get my wrecker we’ll need to remove them and replace with a lithium battery unit. The lead-acid batteries can’t be discharged like lithium units…typically you can only use the top 15% of the lead-acid charge or else you will permanently damage them. So at night you completely turn off EVERYTHING except those items you are currently using; you cannot have any parasitic drains (nightlights, electronics that still have a power light on, etc..) and you have to live by your Remaining Charge Meter installed in your house. If remaining charge drops below safe level, our propane generator (18kW Kohler with Honda V-twin engine) automatically kicks on to charge the batteries….but who wants to hear this kick on at 3am when you’re sleeping with your windows open because air conditioning draws too much amperage to run?

Lithium batteries are GREAT! No venting required, no equalizing every 45 days, excellent life span, you can discharge them considerably with no ill effects, they don’t take up much space, you can connect them directly to your smartphone via BT and whatnot…. But they are expensive and the mining/manufacturing of them requires a whole lot more OIL than what it’s potential output can replace. There’s not enough lithium in the Earth to supply the necessary batteries to fully replace oil & coal for power plants….not to mention the oil necessary for the equipment mining it & the making of the battery cases, etc…. Look up sometime about what all goes into making a lithium battery, it’s eye-opening. But for now, if you can afford one, it’s the way to go. Our neighbors recently upgraded their off-grid system by trading in worn-out lead acid batteries for a new lithium unit (equivalent output of a 17kW generator). It was just over $14k delivered & installed, which is a heck of a good bargain. It’s worth every penny. JUST DO NOT LET IT GET WET!!! You’ll have a nasty fire that you won’t be able to put out. And they were required to inform the local fire department that they had it installed.

Don’t get me started on what a boondoggle wind power is…what a crock. You’ll NEVER get any return on investment from it. The only beneficial wind powered item I’ve ever run across is a windmill for a mechanical water pump (such as AERMotor)….I’m considering switching to one of these for our well pump since we have so much wind, along with an electric back-up. It doesn’t supply water pressure, it just keeps your water storage cisterns topped off, which then use electric pumps to maintain water delivery & pressure.

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I don’t know how the current world population could be immediately transitioned off of petroleum, coal, and/or nuclear power in a short amount of time that is currently envisioned…it’s just not feasible unless totalitarian force is used and/or a mass reduction in the world’s population is realized.

Petroleum is a true “renewable” fuel as it is a naturally-produced substance from the earth. What’s wrong with the current trend to increase efficiency in internal combustion engines? (Purely rhetorical, I already know the answer)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Speaking of solar panels, I get questions from folks all the time about them…it’s amazing how little most people really know about so-called “renewable energy,” and they are extremely confused when I tell them how petroleum oil is the one TRUE renewable energy source we are already harnessing.

I live with an off-grid system for my property; solar, batteries, propane generator for backup/cloudy days…. It requires regular maintenance. The lead-acid batteries (3 dedicated solar batteries, each one weighs over 1500-lbs) require “equalizing” every 45 days or so, where you increase the charge amperage to burn off sulfates and help keep the plates inside clean; when done, top off each cell with distilled water. And these batteries MUST be vented to outside air. The electronics (to convert the DC charge of batteries to useable household AC) are expensive and can fail at any point after 5-7 years; most reliable brands have a current backlog of weeks to months to deliver. We have a CRAPLOAD of heavy gauge wiring run between everything, and the solar panels are mounted to a heavy steel pole set in a LOT of concrete in the ground…the panels are NOT self-tracking, as our winds destroy those mechanisms in a matter of minutes as some neighbors have learned the hard way. So, twice a year the panels must be manually repositioned to catch the max sun charging potential (horizontal in summer time, about 45-degrees in winter time).

Batteries are a whole additional concern. Lead-acid batteries have a very finite lifespan, usually indicated by reduced ability to hold a charge. If one battery fails, it usually takes out all the other batteries. We’re going on 8 years with these lead-acid batteries now, and two of the three show degraded storage capacity. We have them stored in an insulated conex box, so when I get my wrecker we’ll need to remove them and replace with a lithium battery unit. The lead-acid batteries can’t be discharged like lithium units…typically you can only use the top 15% of the lead-acid charge or else you will permanently damage them. So at night you completely turn off EVERYTHING except those items you are currently using; you cannot have any parasitic drains (nightlights, electronics that still have a power light on, etc..) and you have to live by your Remaining Charge Meter installed in your house. If remaining charge drops below safe level, our propane generator (18kW Kohler with Honda V-twin engine) automatically kicks on to charge the batteries….but who wants to hear this kick on at 3am when you’re sleeping with your windows open because air conditioning draws too much amperage to run?

Lithium batteries are GREAT! No venting required, no equalizing every 45 days, excellent life span, you can discharge them considerably with no ill effects, they don’t take up much space, you can connect them directly to your smartphone via BT and whatnot…. But they are expensive and the mining/manufacturing of them requires a whole lot more OIL than what it’s potential output can replace. There’s not enough lithium in the Earth to supply the necessary batteries to fully replace oil & coal for power plants….not to mention the oil necessary for the equipment mining it & the making of the battery cases, etc…. Look up sometime about what all goes into making a lithium battery, it’s eye-opening. But for now, if you can afford one, it’s the way to go. Our neighbors recently upgraded their off-grid system by trading in worn-out lead acid batteries for a new lithium unit (equivalent output of a 17kW generator). It was just over $14k delivered & installed, which is a heck of a good bargain. It’s worth every penny. JUST DO NOT LET IT GET WET!!! You’ll have a nasty fire that you won’t be able to put out. And they were required to inform the local fire department that they had it installed.

Don’t get me started on what a boondoggle wind power is…what a crock. You’ll NEVER get any return on investment from it. The only beneficial wind powered item I’ve ever run across is a windmill for a mechanical water pump (such as AERMotor)….I’m considering switching to one of these for our well pump since we have so much wind, along with an electric back-up. It doesn’t supply water pressure, it just keeps your water storage cisterns topped off, which then use electric pumps to maintain water delivery & pressure.
@silverstate55 , The only thing wrong with all the useful information you offered is that OUR GOVERNMENT isn't smart enough to use it. I would be willing to bet you that there isn't a single congressman or senator that lives "off grid" and actually knows what it would take to live that way.

I have read quite a bit about the wind farms and their efficiency is somewhere between 30 and 42 percent. It isn't even a break-even proposition for the cost of the wind power machine and the electricity it generates. The worst part is that the blades on these windmills are the scrap blades. NPR had an article claiming 720 thousand tons of scrap blades. Length of between 100ft and 300ft. They are cut into sections then buried in a landfill. Wonder how the greenies manage to bury that?

1656256854039.png

Scrap it Clyde!

1656256900017.png

Source: NPR

ToddJK

To prevent WVO from gelling up when it cools off, you most likely have to have it plumbed in parallel to your existing fuel system; start on diesel until warm, switch to WVO, then when done running switch back to diesel and let it run an additional 10-15 minutes or so until purged. The WVO should be stored in a heated tank to prevent it from gelling up. Plus there’s the whole de-watering process to go through first before using it as a fuel.

Not to say it can’t be done, it’s just quite an involved process to prepare as a useable fuel.
If it's high in fat, it'll gel, especially when cold but usually when it's collected, the gelled substance can be filtered out, though it clogs filters up quick. I've used it in cooler temps before, not quite freezing, but cool enough for the fat to gel up, and when mixed with gas or diesel, I didn't experience that, but everyone's milage may vary. I'm personally just not a huge fan of it due to how dirty it always is but it sure does smell good, lol.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's high in fat, it'll gel, especially when cold but usually when it's collected, the gelled substance can be filtered out, though it clogs filters up quick. I've used it in cooler temps before, not quite freezing, but cool enough for the fat to gel up, and when mixed with gas or diesel, I didn't experience that, but everyone's milage may vary. I'm personally just not a huge fan of it due to how dirty it always is but it sure does smell good, lol.
We tried it at request on a few tours and the very first tank or 2 we had to change fuel filters because it cleans all the varnish out of the tank and fuel lines then you were ready to go and like you said it smells like french fries !

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@silverstate55 , The only thing wrong with all the useful information you offered is that OUR GOVERNMENT isn't smart enough to use it. I would be willing to bet you that there isn't a single congressman or senator that lives "off grid" and actually knows what it would take to live that way.

I have read quite a bit about the wind farms and their efficiency is somewhere between 30 and 42 percent. It isn't even a break-even proposition for the cost of the wind power machine and the electricity it generates. The worst part is that the blades on these windmills are the scrap blades. NPR had an article claiming 720 thousand tons of scrap blades. Length of between 100ft and 300ft. They are cut into sections then buried in a landfill. Wonder how the greenies manage to bury that?

Scrap it Clyde!

Source: NPR
Yes sir, you NAILED IT! That’s why I didn’t even get into the waste of money wind power really is; not one wind farm has turned a profit WITHOUT HEAVY TAX SUBSIDIES/BREAKS! Without taxpayer assistance, wind power offers NO return on investment.

One of my neighbors has Kestrel wind turbine to supplement his solar panels…the shipping from South Africa cost more than the entire assembly. It requires constant maintenance and has been nothing but a financial drain.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This question is not intended to insite political discussion but can anyone explain why the current administration chose to shut down the pipe lines and hog tie the american produced oil/fuel production ? Im positive im way under educated to speculate the reason but im sure its the sole reason for the highest fuel cost in history with prices more than double that of 2020 , So if anyone could help to try to enlighten me on why we have these prices i would be most appreciative !

ToddJK

This question is not intended to insite political discussion but can anyone explain why the current administration chose to shut down the pipe lines and hog tie the american produced oil/fuel production ? Im positive im way under educated to speculate the reason but im sure its the sole reason for the highest fuel cost in history with prices more than double that of 2020 , So if anyone could help to try to enlighten me on why we have these prices i would be most appreciative !
I've heard too many reasons to believe one is truly valid over the other.

However, it is of my opinion that our government has recovered UFO's with gravity manipulation properties, take Roswell for example. I figured we would've already had flying vehicles like the Jetsons, but I guess too many politicians had investments in the oil industry so they're keeping the money flowing while it's good.

You be the judge...🤷

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OMG Thats a whole other thread all by itself !!!!! I watch all the stuff they're putting on amazon prime that will make the hair on your neck stand up ! Then there is a fellow you should start watching with a whole lot of anwsers on youtube his name Denish D'souza will really change your world with FACTS !

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So where are all the “kits” to replace internal combustion engines (ICE)? Ford announced a battery conversion kit for a late 60s F-100 pickup to completely replace its existing ICE, but I haven’t really seen anything else viable that would convert existing ICE vehicles with electric/battery/other propulsion. I don’t need a complete new vehicle built around a battery pack, how about kits to convert existing ICE vehicles to “alternative” power?

Such a viable lack of availability tells me that there’s truly an effort to rid us of any sort of self-propelled vehicles entirely, most likely so that we can be forced onto mass-transit systems that we have no control over nor any financial stake in…

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So where are all the “kits” to replace internal combustion engines (ICE)? Ford announced a battery conversion kit for a late 60s F-100 pickup to completely replace its existing ICE, but I haven’t really seen anything else viable that would convert existing ICE vehicles with electric/battery/other propulsion. I don’t need a complete new vehicle built around a battery pack, how about kits to convert existing ICE vehicles to “alternative” power?

Such a viable lack of availability tells me that there’s truly an effort to rid us of any sort of self-propelled vehicles entirely, most likely so that we can be forced onto mass-transit systems that we have no control over nor any financial stake in…
I was thinking about a big ole' propeller mounted in the back of the truck. Drive till the battery runs down, then use the wind powered generator - and presto - in about two or three days I will have enough battery power to drive another hundred miles.

:cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks