• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton wrecker bed

tobyS

You can get a general idea from measuring the components which I did this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caution if you changed directions. Some pumps have the shaft seal open to the return and changing the in and out does not change that...it will blow out the seal. I'll assume you are right about the displacement but a part # and make would confirm that.

edit...not return port...intake.

Last edited:

red

On a m936 the Tcase PTO, which powers that pump, spins at 1:1.

Why not just install the transmission PTO and run a shaft from it to that pump? With the transmission PTO turning at 1.5:1 then the truck doesn't need to run at anymore than 800rpm for absolute max.

On my m816 I run the crane hydraulics at idle and 4th gear (1:1), 5th gear (.78:1) if I want the crane moving faster but always at idle.

Last edited:

Heavywrecker

I have to find out exactly how fast that pump turned in operation, I know it's said to be 1-1 but is that confirmed or suspicion?

tobyS

Confirmed 1:1 on the tcase PTO speed. Pressure is 2500psi
There is the reason this is not done with a transmission PTO. With pressure 2500 at 100 gpm, that's 146 hp. Granted you may never reach that amount of force and speed at the same time, but I don't have one of the wreckers to have operational experience on it to know how often the machine is taken to it's limits. HD does not necessarily mean fast. Slow can be handled... wimpy pressure ???...nah!

Myself, I'd go a smaller pump. What the heck needs that much speed (flow)?

red

There is the reason this is not done with a transmission PTO. With pressure 2500 at 100 gpm, that's 146 hp. Granted you may never reach that amount of force and speed at the same time, but I don't have one of the wreckers to have operational experience on it to know how often the machine is taken to it's limits. HD does not necessarily mean fast. Slow can be handled... wimpy pressure ???...nah!

Myself, I'd go a smaller pump. What the heck needs that much speed (flow)?
Remember these are from the early days of hydraulics. They couldn't get the high pressure so they went with high volume to compensate.

Haven't measured it but pretty sure it's less than 100gpm. When engaged my engine doesn't even notice the load.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tobyS

Yea, farm style hydraulics. There is a big miss-match if he would try to run this pump off of a tranny PTO. If he's limited to a tranny PTO, he needs to work from that. I'm not sure about the pressure myself on this but I take your word that RV would be at about 2500. That means he has to have that much pressure or the machine will wimp out. On my crane, (not a wrecker) I spend about 95% of the time at very low speed of any function...except maybe the winch (I'm power in and out).

Heavywrecker

Got it set onto the chassis today, need to modify a few things add a wheel lift and side puller and probably rear stiff legs, anyone have any pictures showing how these were originally mounted to the frame?

Heavywrecker

Coming along nicely have to get the pusher mounted tomorrow and change out the transmission! Had custom 1" hardened u bolts made for the body to mount it. Going to add a few heavy angle supports and a mount for the rear end and drag winch motor! Thing should be fun when it's done!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks