• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50 year old M52 getting it ready to drive home

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am hoping to make this truck my first real total restoration as my duece is almost exactly as I got it four years ago except for the bells and whistles I put on it. Since this one is kinda kin being a 50's baby I am taking it to heart. The funny thing about our farm is that when I got to go roam free on a TDY trip in Germany I ventured into the newly open East Germany and found my ancestors home stomping grounds. The earth was black the trees were oak and a crick was not far away. I got the distinct feeling my relatives kept moving until they found that place that looked like home. I would trade every material thing I own to get that farm back but it most likely is gone forever, yeah it is a rotton deal for the working family that has tax base rise above their means only to have the whole thing due at the death. It was tough enough loosing my Grandpa let alone having to sell the farm and all the machinery to pay the tax bill.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
never heard of civilian home built aircraft be acquired by the govt' for pilot training during WWII. That is very interesting. I always thought that only standard WWII trainers were used such as the Stearman, Texan,Vibrator ( insert joke) and the little fairchilds. I would love to hear/find out more about that.

Nice truck too.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is off of the web but the thing did happen the government came and took the aircraft for training pilots. My Grandfather never flew again although my Dad did get his pilots licence and had a Cessna 172 to fly around after he retired.

The system was not actually applied to all airplanes operated by the Navy. Sometimes, civilian aircraft taken into service by the Navy during World War II were operated under their civilian model numbers and were not given special Navy designations. Sometimes, aircraft acquired from the Army were assigned separate Navy designations, but on other occasions their original Army designations were kept. There were some postwar examples in which the Navy acquired aircraft in quantity and kept their original designations-e.g. the North American T-28 and the Beech T-34, with the changes made for naval use being reflected only in using a different suffix letter-e.g. T-28B and C and T-34B.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty schweet. I think this is going to be a good year for a lot of us getting rigs restored. Ken, still looking forward to coming by sometime and getting some drive-seat time in the M-60. :grd:

houdel

OSO said:
What is that stuff you are painting on those wheel studs? Not a light film of neversieze! The manual says dry torque on lug nuts ,I myself aways a little dab of grease, neversieze, or a couple drops of oil > Ia'm getting older and don't like to fight lug nuts. aua
I wrenched for many years at the "Shade Tree Garage", helped to earn my way through college and earned me extra pocket money for a long time thereafter. Got my "basic training" by helping out at the local garage and "on the job training" as I went along.

I ALWAYS put a coat of chassis lube or oil on wheel studs before driving on the lug nuts. I've had several dry studs gall up and ruin the stud when removing a lug nut, but never had a problem with a lubed stud.

One trick I recently picked up at a truck shop when I was having my Deuce's tires balanced. The mechanic there used ATF to lube the studs when reinstalling my wheels. He claims the additives in ATF make it work better than regular oil.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ken That truck looks to have a lot less rust than mine but back in the 50's and 60's sheet metal was so thick that welding it is not a problem and I was surprised to find so many areas that still had the original OD green intact, ( photos to follow soon) I hope to have my garage ready to do a good job on it but I will have to take the cab top off to get it in there. That is a beautiful shop you have there.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I forgot to ask the Site abot this, the axles on the M 52 are not Rockwell they have a tag that says they are DTA small D big T small A, Model 240 HX2# 6.44 ratio Can anyone tell me if these are Rockwell knock off's or a totally different animal since I have to fix a brake cylinder on one of the rears.

Also the truck has a Depot Rebuild tag on it stating it was Depot Rebuilt at RRAD in 1971 with the odometer at 10,534 so the truck now has 18,000 on it does that generally mean the engine was overhauled?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless it's a limited overhaul, then yes the engine was gone through or replaced. Axles are the same as the Rockwells. Deuces have a similar thing with Rockwell and Timken.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with Ted Hils. He shoudl have them at about the best price and they are USA stuff.

TacticalTruck

Catching up...I've got a wheel cyl for you Dave. You can also get the air filter off the other truck but please put your old one on mine. I want to leave the truck operational for now. You guys commented on CARC paint on a gasser. Dave's truck came out of Ft Belvior. I was amazed at how many old gassers came out of Virginia, especially Richmond, well into the '90s, that had been recently rebuilt with CARC paint, new style steering and more. My first wrecker was a 1955 International M62 gasser that got a depot level rebuild around 1990. Everything was rebuilt, including the motor. The sad end to that truck was I sold it to a commerical tower that promptly destroyed it.
Jeff

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jeff you are the man, I am making headway on the M 52 in hopes of driving it home soon after the title comes in. I just saw a ton of M818's in Haver de Grace that just came out of full depot rebuild I wonder how long till they show up. I am glad to know the history of the truck especially coming from Fort Belvoir since my Dad went to Engineer OBC there during the initial stages of WW II. That makes it more reason to make it cherry. Thanks so much and I am very excited about meeting all of the Steel Soldiers at Aberdeen it should be such a blast.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here are some more pictures from the day I worked on the truck. The more I work on it the better I feel about it not being an M 818 or an A1 or A2. The Red River Army Depot Rebuild is from 1971 and I am trying to find out if it included the engine.

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good looking truck you got. I love the 52s. We are going to have to get together for a little drag race! If you can post some pics when you get it under the M127.

m139h2otruck

Looks like your muffler is the spark arrester type, as it has a plugged hole in the bottom. How loud is this truck? Is the exhaust manifold OK? Interested, as our h2o truck has a cracked center section and I can't tell how loud it really is due to the slight leak.

I would check on the fuel pump, as the new gas is real bad on the diaphragms and valves. We had to buy a complete pump from Memphis, as they do not have kits any more. Also check gaskets on the top of the fuel tank(s) as the new gas caused the rubber gaskets to swell badly and leak vapors out and water in.

Is that a compressor setting on the back deck?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am running a new tank on it to get it home and currently rebuilding the first of two saddle tanks. I will be using right stuff gasket material. I am also planning on putting a Facet electronic fuel pump on it since diapham pumps always seem to disagree with me. I put an electric pump on the 1962 CJ for the same reason. Headed out today to brace up the fuel tank and make some final connections. As to how loud it is I have not heard it running and the tail pipe is disconnected from the muffler so I am sure it is quite loud. I will let you know when I get it running on the fuel tank I have installed.