• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50 year old M52 getting it ready to drive home

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
New Pictures of work in progress

Here are some more photos of the tank bracing and the fuel pump as well as the engine rebuild tag from 1976 at Letterkenny Army Depot. The truck was rebuilt at Red River Army Depot in 1971 with 10,000+ miles any guess as to how many got put on it before the engine rebuild as the truck now has 18,000+ on it

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: New Pictures of work in progress

Just asking, David , but why did you not mount the fuel tank where the original ones were? Just curious...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: New Pictures of work in progress

The tank that I am working on is shorter by about 10 inches and both tanks were really badly gunked up and rusted so Jeff let me use the newer deuce tank and that seemed like a logial place to put it with the need to still move a trailer

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Got Truck running and a 5 ton 20K winch on the truck

I purchaced the winch from Tactical Truck and made the switch from his truck to mine with the aid of the forklift and Mark from Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles where the trucks are siting. Contrary to what a recent post on winch removal said about having to remove the bumper take a look at these shots and see how easy it is.

The truck started well with 20 gallons of fresh gasoline and the engine sounded very quiet and smooth. The truck drover very nicely and I am looking forward to getting it home once the title clears.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Got Truck running and a 5 ton 20K winch on the truck

Tractors with winches are cool. David, look for a PM

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

My Duece has a winch and the tractor would feel stiffed if I brought it home without one I really like the look of the tractor with a winch too I'm very grateful to Jeff for selling it to me.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I have the bumper will be putting it on for you tomorrow evening. Sorry that it did not get done right away I had to finish up it was late.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Lookin' really good, David. Do you have wire rope for the winch or do you need to buy some?

TacticalTruck

Not a big deal David. I didn't know if you remembered I wanted to keep the bumper. You don't need to mount it on my truck. It's going on my tractor.
Thanks
Jeff

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got an idea for a repaint, unless you want camo, David - paint it 24087, with a yellow nose leading edge, like the guntrucks did in Vietnam. Granted, you're isn't a guntruck, but it's the same family, plus it looks COOL!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Man, I wish I had a forklift. My legs and back would be much happier when working on the 923. Heck, I'd settle for a second set of hands sometime ;) Looking great David!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I will be headed down to the museum tomorrow with my needle gun and some primer if the rain stays away to get at some of the gangly rust but the truck is so solid being 50 years old the steel is only rusted through in very few places that will be easy to weld in new stock. I may take it out on the road to see how it runs through all the gears since I have not had it out of 3rd yet on the museum roads. It runs very smoothly and it is so much quieter than my duece I think I will enjoy driving this truck more than the duece. Of course that could be the power steering talking to me too. No title as of yet so it might not make it to Aberdeen.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gas mileage is about 1 gallon per every 500 feet or so, loaded. :) No seriously, maybe 4 miles a gallon, it's not thrifty....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While looking through some manuals for my 5T wrecker, I saw posted that the gasser is rated at 2-3 mpg. Someone else here said the power and mpg went up with some stream-lining of intake and exhaust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks