• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50 year old M52 getting it ready to drive home

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds right Chris. I believe David Doyle commented that he used to get about 2 MPG with his M62. With all that weight, I can't imagine you would gain a lot of mileage with porting. A nice "light-weight" tractor should do a little better running bob-tail. Maybe 4 MPG like Mike said.

TacticalTruck

I used to get 3mpg with my M62. I put 30 gallons in it to bring it home from Richmond, about 90 miles. I looked in the tank when I got home and realized I was lucky to make it up the driveway on fumes. I asked my friend who was following me why he hung back a mile or so and he said because his eyes were burning from the super rich exhaust. I've never had much luck leaning out military holleys. anybody?
Jeff

m139h2otruck

Can the Holley and get a Zenith from Saturn. Truck will idle much cleaner and run down the road great. Put one on the water truck first thing after trying to rebuild the Holley, and could not believe the difference. Son followed me up the highway to the job site on Tuesday, and the only comment was that there was a massive ball of heat coming out under the truck where the muffler points down behind the gas tank (modified exhaust) in front of the tandems. Hit 55 mph (measured) in the straight with plenty left. Scared of the 1400x20 40 year old tires!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I will have to see what kind of milage I get when I get this on the road it starts well and runs nicely and that indicates proper fuel air ratio. I am hoping to keep it just above 45 on the way home and will let you all know what it gets. I changed out the rear brake cylnider last night and will be out there tonight to blead the brakes once that is done all I need is the title to bring it home... oh yeah and a gas card.

m139h2otruck

Last time I checked, the carbs were $125 @ Saturn.

No, I don't think the 5 ton carb will fit on the M108. 5 ton carbs have 6 bolts/studs holding them to the manifold. Not sure what the M35/M108 has. Appox. cfm of the 5 ton is around 400 cfm, its big!

rizzo

m139h2otruck said:
Last time I checked, the carbs were $125 @ Saturn.

No, I don't think the 5 ton carb will fit on the M108. 5 ton carbs have 6 bolts/studs holding them to the manifold. Not sure what the M35/M108 has. Appox. cfm of the 5 ton is around 400 cfm, its big!
the M108 has 4 studs for the carb. thanks

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wheel Cylinder change

I had a leaking rear wheel Cylinder and Jeff was very kind to provide one for me so here are the pictures of the changing. I spent about four hours there today and three of them were with the needle gun hitting rust and flaking CARC then painting with rusty metal paint All in all a good day along with getting a Solarizer on to keep the batteries up

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Needle Gun efforts

Took about three hours of needle gunning on the truck and then painted the cleaned area with Rusty Metal Primer since I am out of Rustbullet. I took mudflaps down to attach them but the rear of the tires stick out about three inches beyond the rear of the frame so I am going to weld up some custom brackets to hold them away from the tires.

Still no title so I don't think I will have it for Aberdeen but I am hoping to get it before I leave for Korea in June

Attachments

CGarbee

RE: Needle Gun efforts

Looking good, and stout there David. I'm drooling...
Hate to hear that you won't be getting her to Aberdeen, but maybee that will be a good excuse to get together later on (before you head to Korea...)...

Best wishes.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
PTO with Shaft and controls from TNJ Murrays in Delaware

I headed up to Murrays after talking to the 2nd generation owner at Aberdeen and he told me there were gasser 5 tons that were getting ready for the cutting torch so I should head up soon. The 200 mile round trip was worth it because I got the PTO with controls and shaft as well as a canister style fender mount air cleaner for the truck. I was hoping to pick it up today but will most likely have to make it a pick up on Saturday since I have my WW II vet Father in law visiting for my Daughters graduation from College this week. BS RN at age 21 not too bad I am really proud of her.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: PTO with Shaft and controls from TNJ Murrays in Delaware

Nice score and congratulations for your Daughter's accomplishments :beer:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Good deal! That looks like a deuce dump in the last pic.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

my m52 gasser ran super and did real good on gas, my wife figured i got close to 8 freeway running on the 400 mile round trip to 99 mvpa convention in san jose, ca. around town it got about 5

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is now home and I did not get any pictures of it coming home since we picked it up Friday night about 2100 and drove it through the night with my son and his girlfriend trailing in the chase vehicle. It drove very well at 55 MPH and aside from the same toxic fumes that Tactical Truck mentioned that choked my son when he was close behind me the trip was uneventful. The guy at the Baltimore tunnel toll booth said he had not seen one in a long time. I will be working on getting the air cleaner upgraded and the PTO on and will photo document them here when I get them done. Thanks for all your encouragement I look forward to towing the M127 on Thursday to see how it tows with the truck. Picts of that will follow too.

CGarbee

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
It is now home ...
GREAT NEWS!!

It's always good to hear that the new addition is in the yard where you can walk over and work on it when the mood strikes you... :)

Looking forward to hearing how it performs with the trailer attached.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks