• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

65 Kaiser M35A2 project starts

Gunfreak25

The bad news continues! Was getting ready to do coolant hoses and belts when I noticed how low the motor was sitting. The top hose should be straight! The problem is a combination of trashed motor mounts, and the motor mount brackets being completely LOOSE Allowing the holes to get egged out. Add up all the tolerance stacking and that puts the motor a full inch lower than it should be. The frame mount is also cracked, so it’ll come out for repair.

I have new motor mounts and hoses on the way, I might need new motor mount timing cover brackets and if the holes are wollered in the timing cover too I’ll need a new timing cover. If anybody has spare parts please!

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does anyone have a spare spindle? Someone torched bearings off at some point in time, the seal just fell off the spindle when I disassembled it 🤷🏻‍♂️
Looks like somebody had a problem sometime ago. It appears that they might have gotten a seal with a "wear ring" (rub ring?). Then it looks like it was welded to the axle? Just two spots is what I think I see? They should drive on and "stay put". No welding for sure!

If you can get that off and give it a look, it may be repairable. I suggest taking your time and hand sand where the seal runs. When that thin metal comes off (I am only assuming... Picture is not real clear) you should find a worn in grove on the factory part. There are seal kits with wear rings. Hopefully you can find one and dress everything up and get it back together.

Gunfreak25

I got with Will Wagner (always saving my bacon it seems) and he might have some stuff. NDT I’ll let you know on the frame bracket. Chances are the bolt holes wouldn’t line up on one from another truck, my Miller thunderbolt 240 machine will have this one fixed right quick. Gonna be fun pounding them rivets out!! 😂

This truck has been a test of wills but I am 100% determined to get it totally cross country reliable and road worthy which is what I expect out of all the stuff I own

DavidWymore

I got with Will Wagner (always saving my bacon it seems) and he might have some stuff. NDT I’ll let you know on the frame bracket. Chances are the bolt holes wouldn’t line up on one from another truck, my Miller thunderbolt 240 machine will have this one fixed right quick. Gonna be fun pounding them rivets out!! 😂

This truck has been a test of wills but I am 100% determined to get it totally cross country reliable and road worthy which is what I expect out of all the stuff I own
I had a lot of motivation when I started too...but not enough to work on it in the heat like you. Will be cool to go deucin' when it cools off.

Gunfreak25

So I ended up getting a used chunk and good spindle from a closer member who gave me a good deal on them. Thanks again for the parts David, I wanted to get them pronto to keep it moving forward! My last 2 deuces sat due to lack of time or money so I really wanted to hit this truck hard and fix what needs fixing. I still have to inspect this chunk but if the spiders are indeed bad I want to weld them up for a cheap front locker. The locking hubs mean nothings turning anyway for road use.

I had a tire deflate on my yesterday just sitting in the 118 degree heat so I’m just going to put new tubes in the front and new tubes for whenever I get a flat somewhere.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"""""""HO LEE CRAP. That is one thorough restoration. I think the GMC's are making a come back. More and more people are joining here with new GMC toys. Super job....."""""""

I just copied your reply from the G749 thread from Oct, 2011. Time flies hey. Finding your post and copying it was a lot easier then jawing about how pumped I am to see this puppy role down the road. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Feel free to change the GMC in your previous post. Nice work!

Gunfreak25

Indeed it does Dave O, that old GMC is still parked about 16 miles east of Yuma. Some kid was throwing a big Detroit 2 stroker V8 in it last I heard. Amazingly after 10 years the Behr paint still looked better than any enamel job that I could’ve used.

And now ye shall watch my other favorite Canadian, know em by chance?

Gunfreak25

Progress!! New mounts came in. Compared to old ones it’s pretty crazy. The front mounts had lowers being used which is why the motor is sitting so low. The mounting brackets look okay as does timing cover holes. Left side looks a little wallowed so I’m going to drill all out to 1/2 bolts to take up any slack. Should be just fine……

Grinded, drilled, chiseled, sledged, cussed and finally got rivets free, crossmember bracket heated, welded, peened and slow cooled. Now I’m no expert but I knew it would be dirty welding cast steel. Not as bad as cast iron. Tried to let the puddle float as much junk away from the weld as I could. I think it’ll do……I LOVE my old Miller machine I did a restoration on. It has served me well and will be welding up front spider gears to make a DIY spool soon.

The radiator mount was also cracked, this truck must’ve had a run in with something in its past. But the frame is certainly okay.

Tomorrow is belts, hoses and hopefully some reassembly. Should be ready to fill brakes with DOT 4 bleed and hit the road by end of this month. My back hurts. 🥵

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Progress!! New mounts came in. Compared to old ones it’s pretty crazy. The front mounts had lowers being used which is why the motor is sitting so low. The mounting brackets look okay as does timing cover holes. Left side looks a little wallowed so I’m going to drill all out to 1/2 bolts to take up any slack. Should be just fine……

Grinded, drilled, chiseled, sledged, cussed and finally got rivets free, crossmember bracket heated, welded, peened and slow cooled. Now I’m no expert but I knew it would be dirty welding cast steel. Not as bad as cast iron. Tried to let the puddle float as much junk away from the weld as I could. I think it’ll do……I LOVE my old Miller machine I did a restoration on. It has served me well and will be welding up front spider gears to make a DIY spool soon.

The radiator mount was also cracked, this truck must’ve had a run in with something in its past. But the frame is certainly okay.

Tomorrow is belts, hoses and hopefully some reassembly. Should be ready to fill brakes with DOT 4 bleed and hit the road by end of this month. My back hurts. 🥵
I like that Miller. Mine is a blue one about that same size and it has done many a job!

That truck will ride like a new one by the time you get the rest of the rubber biscuits replaced. :)

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

I like that Miller. Mine is a blue one about that same size and it has done many a job!

That truck will ride like a new one by the time you get the rest of the rubber biscuits replaced. :)
Thanks for the reminder! Gotta order some shocks for it next! Tomorrow I want to find a block drain plug and flush the water jackets out before I fill it back up with good coolant.

Gunfreak25

New motor mounts, bled brakes, adjusted clutch down (wasn’t releasing throwout bearing fully), clutch and brake rubber bumpers replaced, mounted new front tires and spare.

All that’s left is install radiator, fill with coolant and hit the road this weekend.

I drained the oil 1 more time since it had some dilution again before I knew it was that leaky booster pump seal. While the drain bolt was out I took a moment to see if the engine has the updated 12 point rod bolts and it does. It’s also a thick deck block but has the old style head gasket. So I’ll update that when it eventually starts leaking. 😂

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew a little broken metal, rubber, electrical or a loose trigger wouldn't keep you from fixing things and rolling on. I expected you to go full blown mechanic on it. It's rough seeing all the work you had to do, but now you know what's good and what's left. With all the family, baby, dooty stuff you got going on I didn't expect it'd be for another decade. Amazing work buddy.

Is that a lock-out hub on the front wheel? Does someone still work at a golf course? It'd be real cool seeing that parked beside the BMW's at the clubhouse.

Gunfreak25

Tomorrow should be her maiden voyage! Planning first short trip across town to see the grandparents. Then it’s off to see the YPG tanks to really stretch her legs for a good 40 minutes. Ordered a geared torque multiplier nut remover for my roadside tire kit.

Spent 3 hours power washing under, over, in and out. It’s still dirty but Ill wait for concrete beneath me to finish. Interior cleaned up and serviced both door regulators and locks for smooth operation. Does anyone have a spare door hinge? 😁

Attachments

Gunfreak25

She rolls!! Victory was bittersweet, brakes are excellent. But it died several times after it warmed up. Lots of surging and trouble going over 40mph. I’ve narrowed the possibilities down to a worn hydraulic head or something wrong with the governor/advance assembly in the injection pump. Exhaust was sometimes “fluttery “ so I want to check valves too.

Fits perfect in the front yard!

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
She rolls!! Victory was bittersweet, brakes are excellent. But it died several times after it warmed up. Lots of surging and trouble going over 40mph. I’ve narrowed the possibilities down to a worn hydraulic head or something wrong with the governor/advance assembly in the injection pump. Exhaust was sometimes “fluttery “ so I want to check valves too.

Fits perfect in the front yard!

Well that looks like it was a fun run! Happy that you made it home safe and sound.
Both of the little people have their smiles on, so it is a really good day!

You might look down in the fuel tank for indications of the creeping diesel crud.
Might be that some SeaFoam would limber it up the motor a bit...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks