• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

68 Unimog 404 Restomod

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just drove about 30 miles, through Albany and out into the Berkshires with 40psi. Road hum about the same as the Continentals. I didn't go faster than 40 mph, and at that speed it feels smooth but swimmy. It's too soon to tell but I think these tires will do ok for me. I rarely go faster than 45, and have only been at 55 once for a short burst down a hill. I didn't try to push it that fast with these tires yet.

First impression is positive, but time will tell. Maybe I will hate em. They feel heavier somehow, not sure what gives that impression. I did find myself grabbing gears going up hills where before I could make it up in a higher gear.

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few things about changing these tires: tubes in 404 tires is common, even with tires labeled "tubeless" and when I took the first bead off the first tire I discovered mine came with tubes. The Maddox tool I bought for changing truck tires isn't meant for tubes. It can easily damage them when popping the first bead. I took pains not to and succeeded three out of four times.

You can change these tires with 36" spoons. I made do with the Maddox roller spoon I broke and a pry bar with the edges ground smooth. The local tractor supply has nice ones but pricey. I'm looking for a pair.

Windex works great as tire lube, but the real deal has to be better. My local auto parts place didn't have any, so looking for that too.

The tube I patched didn't hold so I ordered one. But I'm out on assignment so I have to keep rolling. Trying fix a flat before trying to patch it again. I'm currently going from 40 to 20 psi in a half hour of driving. Hoping to extend the time between air ups.

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fix a flat did not work. But no matter, I have a spare tire and in it a spare tube. So when I get my hands on truck tire irons, I will swap them out.

I should have thought of the spare before wasting my time with fix a flat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks