• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

73 mph M1008

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not out to prove anything. Which one should of these should I drive to show you the GPS? You left yourself open for that one. [thumbzup]:funny: You just said a picture of GPS showing spped. how would I prove beyond doubt what I am driving.

How about putting the GPS next to the speedo of the M1028 while you are attempting to blast past 55?

I guess you could pull the dash out of the CUCV and put it in the Corvette with the GPS cause my guess is that is the only way that dash will ever show that fast (for real).

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Stock M1008 doing 70+ mph, not going to happen, period. It runs out of gear plain and simple. Your speedo probably has an issue. I would verify with GPS or go old school with mile markers on the highway. My speedo will occasionally go 10mph faster on the highway. The needle sweeps back and forth. Not sure how it picks up speed. Maybe the cable has some stretch to it. I wouldn't claim it as a performance gain though.
And on that note, here's a fun fact that I bet a lot of you didn't know. Take a look at your speedo. (Well an older cable driven speedo, not a modern electronic speedo) Look at the 0-10~15 marks, take a look at the space. Now, look at the space between the say 75-85 mark (Or whatever the fastest speed listed it). Notice the wider distance between the hash marks? It's due to the margin of error increasing exponentially at higher speeds.

Skinny

I would like to see a car with an accurate speedo.

I think mine is a mechanical issue as it reads steady till about 45mph, then it tends to hop back and forth about 10mph worth on the top end of cruise speed.

I've had complaints as a tech that brand new vehicles are off by 10mph verified with a GPS unit. Of course they are over which means you lose by about 5-10% of your warranty mileage...conspiracy??? :)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think mine is a mechanical issue as it reads steady till about 45mph, then it tends to hop back and forth about 10mph worth on the top end of cruise speed.

I've had complaints as a tech that brand new vehicles are off by 10mph verified with a GPS unit. Of course they are over which means you lose by about 5-10% of your warranty mileage...conspiracy??? :)
I had a 1980 Ford F150 4x4 that was within a mile an hour of the radar on both tickets I got with it .

MarcusOReallyus

Newer cars with electronic speedos should be pretty accurate. I have verified 3 of my vehicles, and several others, and they are within 1-2 mph at highway speeds. With electronic speedos, almost all of the errors of mechanical speedos are eliminated. Tire pressure is about the only other variable.

I've had complaints as a tech that brand new vehicles are off by 10mph verified with a GPS unit. Of course they are over which means you lose by about 5-10% of your warranty mileage...conspiracy??? :smile:
No, not conspriracty. Jimmy Carter era regulations. Prior to the oil crisis, speedos were requrred to be accurate to plus or minus ... some percentage (I don't recall the exact number). Carter's regs made it plus only, no minus. A speedo could read high, but it was not allowed to read low AT ALL. Naturally, to comply, speedos were calibrated high.

Skinny

I like it, cop cars should have calibrated speedometers but not the millions of vehicles sold on the road.

Yep...makes sense to me...

cucvrus

Hey guys this is all fun and games till someone breaks a crank shaft. Then the defecation hits the rotary oscillator. I am being as truthful as I can. I really drove these truck half a million miles over the years and sold them to friends and family. We all drive them hard. They hold up. What can I say? I never replaced a harmonic balancer on any of them. I agree to disagree. But I will not have angry discussion about the speed. Stop by I will take you for a ride in the super sonic M1028A1. I am not in this to gain anything. I know I ran them hard. I always did and always will. Diesels like to be run. Enough about this. I am happy not angry. But when you know you done something and others don't believe you. Well so what. I think I am going to call Ripley's. Fastest CUCV in stock form. I am just funning but I did that, done that. End of that. The jury will have to remain dead locked. Case dismissed. I am free to drive my CUCV in any manner I see fit. For as long as we both shall crank. Till death do we part. Sound familiar?
Does anyone want to hear how I drove 250 miles with out a throttle cable. (Battlefield repair

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone's free to do with their own truck what they want. We've had 35 CUCVs (at least) over the years. I still have the first one, which happens to be a stock unmodified M1028a1 and I would never drive it over 70, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm just still wondering how it's possible given the pump starts defueling at 3400~3600 rpm and you'd have to be at 4500 rpm if the speedo is right. Stranger things have happened of course. But a thousand RPM over defuel I've never heard of. (100, 300, maybe 500rpm yes, 1K no.) Let alone how it could sustain 4500rpm for 2.5hrs or more all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks