• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

73 mph M1008

Status
Not open for further replies.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The injection pump has a governor in it, as the governed speed is reached, it starts restricting/defueling. There's no throttle valve on a diesel, so speed is controlled by fuel delivery. A gas engine would either limit speed through ignition, fuel delivery, or reach a mechanical limit where valve float happens. Valve float in a diesel = game over.

cucvrus

I don't know. And I never gave it much thought. I know it was in the hammer down lane most of the time. And very loud. Did you ever see a CUCV that had "Hearing protection required" stenciled on them? That is why I thought it said that. I saw CUCV's that had 45 MPH on Autobahn stenciled on them. Never followed them instructions from the time I bought it. I know it always reminded me of a boat when you had it planed out at top speed. A 1 note song. Enough said. I guess the driving with out the throttle cable was believable. No explanation needed. Happy Holidays.

Last edited:

ranchhopper

The dutch have been using them in pulling tractors for years and have managed to keep them together at 5000 RPM Im sure they are modified but they are really winding them up tight.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The dutch have been using them in pulling tractors for years and have managed to keep them together at 5000 RPM Im sure they are modified but they are really winding them up tight.
Yup, Heath's diesel holds a land speed record for a 6.5. But it's HEAVILY modified to stand up to 5K rpm.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rest my case.
So I guess that means they add fuel and run at 5,000? A pulling engine is usually highly modified, as in rocker arm girdles, strengthened main bearing cap, modified rods etc etc etc.

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, just prove it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few highlights:

http://heathdiesel.com/news/news/500hp-diesel-race-engine.html

"Heath Diesel’s land speed race engine wasn’t stock by any means,"

"Then engine block filler was poured into the coolant passages with the main bearing caps torqued in place. Heath added the filler until it was 5/8 inch below the engine’s deck surface. This improved the structure, while still allowing the necessary coolant circulation between the block and the cylinder heads"

"The higher engine speed substantially changed the amount of fuel necessary, which began to stretch the limits of the regular heavy-duty lift pump."

"This tune was custom-engineered for this unique application. It was set up to allow the engine to operate at a maximum speed of 5,000 rpm. This differs from the version Heath Diesel offers its customers, which only has a limit of 3,700 rpm. "

"Heath fed a more-than-normal amount of pure water to the engine with a version of the Heath Water-Mist Injection system. During a run across the salt, the engine consumed 0.65 gallons of diesel, and 1.1 gallons of water. The intake air temperature stayed very close to 130 degrees and exhaust gas temperature hovered in the 1,350-to-1,400-degree range."

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just took my M1008 out for a ride with the flux capacitor on(now that I know I can hit 88 mph with a stock cucv).

I went into the near future to see how this thread ends!

I'll keep it a secret so as not to create a rift in the time-space continuum...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll give one hint though, get your posts in soon...

CUCVLOVER

The injection pump has a governor in it, as the governed speed is reached, it starts restricting/defueling. There's no throttle valve on a diesel, so speed is controlled by fuel delivery. A gas engine would either limit speed through ignition, fuel delivery, or reach a mechanical limit where valve float happens. Valve float in a diesel = game over.
OK thanks I didn't know they had a governor in the injection pump. I had heard that some of them had one but I figured that was for vehicle speed. So if I hold the accelerator to the floor with the transmission in park it won't go over 3600 rpm??
Thanks for the information

WillemV8

Had my M1008 up to 115+ MPH, the speedo was reaching the 5 MPH. Offcourse, this was with a 454 BBC and on 37 inch tires. CUCV's are surprisingly stable at speed actually.

sandcobra164

Mine is hollering loud enough at 55 indicated, 52 GPS indicated to tell me he's not happy. I've had him up to 65 indicated, 61 GPS indicated to hear him say he didn't like that at all. I normally just run between 45 to 50 indicated and he's happy as can be.

sandcobra164

Could the picture of the CUCV speedo past 85 have been from a M1009? Those can probably do that but I doubt the truck version with the 4.56 gears would hold up long term doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks