• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 m1009 cucv chevy blazer build-up

2INSANE

Interested in the outcome of your china hx35 turbo swap. I have a m1009 (6.2) with a gm4 turbo. The turbo is starting to leak around the seals and I'm thinking about a hx35w swap. Lower egt and quicker spool sounds good to me.
Happy New Year!

The Hx35w is for sure a great turbo! You would not be disappointed. They are super cheap too!

Breacher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the new soft topper on today. Wonder how many years this one will last…

If anyone wants my old one, the windows could be fixed with vinyl sheet and some sewing. Comes with new hardware. Let me know. Free just pay shipping.
Do you still have the old one?

2INSANE

This weekend I installed an Alpine F511 Halo floating Din Stereo. My old radio worked great but… I want apple car play, better equalizer adjustments, navigation and modernization. I think it looks pretty darn cool!

I also picked up some JL audio 12” subs with box at a pawn shop for a fairly good deal.

I have a 1000 watt new amp I’ve never used that has been collecting dust on my shelf for years because part of me is afraid to install a nice stereo system after getting 2 systems stolen in the past. I wonder how long until this new system gets stolen… 🤔😭

I also scored another set of New MTR’s for only $640 shipped. All 4 were the spare tires on the Humvve. 😁👍

Attachments

1love

Going threw the todo checklist making the M1009 ready for the Moab trip planned the end of this month, I installed a new set of polyurethane transmission cross member bushings, got the front driveshaft refurbished and a spare front driveshaft made.

Notice a difference with the bushings? Vibration, better response to traction feel?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going threw the todo checklist making the M1009 ready for the Moab trip planned the end of this month, I installed a new set of polyurethane transmission cross member bushings, got the front driveshaft refurbished and a spare front driveshaft made.

If you are going to Moab, you would be wise to install a GM14020856 NP208 support rod, that is, if you haven't already. You can pick up the bolts at a John Deere dealer, they are M16, but I can't remember the length.

DSC_0791 (2).JPG

2INSANE

Notice a difference with the bushings? Vibration, better response to traction feel?
Yes sir! There is a small noticeable difference with less vibration at idle and while driving. More noticeable with the downshifts and up shifts. Feels more firm.

Most of the drivetrain vibrations got fixed with the ORD motor mounts.

If you are going to Moab, you would be wise to install a GM14020856 NP208 support rod, that is, if you haven't already. You can pick up the bolts at a John Deere dealer, they are M16, but I can't remember the length.

View attachment 896929
Darn it! I had 2 of those! I think I sold one for $200 and the other was broken, repairable but broke. I could probably snag a cheap $20 one at a junkyard!

2INSANE

Last night I replaced the leaking driver side valve cover gasket. It was leaking so bad that I thought it was coming from the oil cooler lines at first because the oil was going down the motor onto the oil cooler fittings. I used a cork gasket and the right stuff this time to hopefully seal it. It was a pita to replace and afterward I looked at the passenger side valve cover and see some wet ish spots that are not dripping yet… Next years project…

I also replaced a few broken zerks, did a full under frame grease job, checked the torque on the axle U-bolts, grind the rust off of the recently welded new kick panel plates and painted them.

Today I am going to wire up the 1000w amp and start loading the recovery gear and tools for the trip. I’ll get some more pics for yal!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Last night I replaced the leaking driver side valve cover gasket. It was leaking so bad that I thought it was coming from the oil cooler lines at first because the oil was going down the motor onto the oil cooler fittings. I used a cork gasket and the right stuff this time to hopefully seal it. It was a pita to replace and afterward I looked at the passenger side valve cover and see some wet ish spots that are not dripping yet… Next years project…

I also replaced a few broken zerks, did a full under frame grease job, checked the torque on the axle U-bolts, grind the rust off of the recently welded new kick panel plates and painted them.

Today I am going to wire up the 1000w amp and start loading the recovery gear and tools for the trip. I’ll get some more pics for yal!
Project is looking good!

The factory sealed those valve covers with some sort of silicon. The cork allows you to tighten the gaskets and the "squish" of the cork allows the metal pans (valve covers) to bend and distort - and allow it to leak - more than it would if it was hammered out straight and tightened "metal on metal".

Last edited:

87cr250r

Do yourself a favor and throw those valve cover gaskets in the garbage before you get too far along. They'll screw you over in 3 ways. First, they'll take a set and start leaking. Next, you can't retorque them because the double ended studs have brackets on them. Finally, they'll lose torque due to the set which will cause the double ended studs to turn and bend the brackets when you try to take the nuts off.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with this. It was a bit pricey and only time will tell if it works. But it definitely feels like a firmer install vs just tightening double ended studs into the flimsy steel covers.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I went with this. It was a bit pricey and only time will tell if it works. But it definitely feels like a firmer install vs just tightening double ended studs into the flimsy steel covers.

Well, it dang sure isn't cheap but those solve the problem of the thin metal being "dimpled" by the bolts if there are gaskets below the valve cover...

2INSANE

Thanks for the info. I’ll for sure invest in those brackets sometime after the trip next week. Speaking of which, here’s photos of gear I always take with me.

A good friend of mine once asked why I take soooo much stuff. So I took his advice one trip and we went wheeling in Moab and he broke down and came straight to me and asked if I brought stuff to help him. I reminded him that he told me not to take sooo much, so he was kinda screwed until someone else came down the trail with what he needed. In a nutshell, you can never take too much… Sometimes it is something simple like a hose clamp, wire or a special bolt that will get you or someone else back in service.

Attachments

2INSANE

Not forgetting fluids or other items like the spare front driveshaft. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

2INSANE

A few years ago some cracks in the floor developed where the passenger seat bolts to. I don’t want the wife’s butt falling out of the Blazer floor, as hilarious as it would be, still would not be good. I asked our shop welder if he wanted to make some extra side cash and he was more than willing to fix it.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A few years ago some cracks in the floor developed where the passenger seat bolts to. I don’t want the wife’s butt falling out of the Blazer floor, as hilarious as it would be, still would not be good. I asked our shop welder if he wanted to make some extra side cash and he was more than willing to fix it.
Yeah, it would be funny until it wasn't. And chances are that wife might "turn on the grumpy" if she suddenly settled down a few inches in her seat. :cool:

Speaking of seats... NICE upgrade there!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks