• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

91140 gross and the 818

bustin

I can't haul it using that truck unless I have a DOT inspection sticker, authority, commercial insurance, US DOT number, signs on the door, all commercial driver requirements, etc..
well whats the point of having all your own stuff then? Is that fed DOT or Your local state rule? I was just looking into something like that here in NJ and I couldnt get a resolution to my question cause I can have the truck registered as non commercial and the trailer too. If I farm title everything then noone can say a thing to me anytime for any reason but if i bought the trucks i wanted to last month I woulda went with the antique/ classic route but that would limit me tremndously if ever caught. since i dont have a farm and all registered with the county, town or state.

According to the KY DOT once a farm truck is more that 150 mi from home, pulling an equipment trailer (personal tag) with a M816 on it, then you come under all of the DOT rules. Current medical, CDL, logbook, DOT number, full inspection, etc. They don't cut you any slack. Ask me how I know.

Coldfusion21

According to the KY DOT once a farm truck is more that 150 mi from home, pulling an equipment trailer (personal tag) with a M816 on it, then you come under all of the DOT rules. Current medical, CDL, logbook, DOT number, full inspection, etc. They don't cut you any slack. Ask me how I know.

How many guys on here have the full CDL stuff? I seem to read about a lot of heavy moving (granted not 90k gross) and i just assumed it was all personal.

I did some reading on the CDL thing in Oregon and it seems like once you get into all that DOT business you have a lot of paperwork to worry about.

jwaller

How many guys on here have the full CDL stuff? I seem to read about a lot of heavy moving (granted not 90k gross) and i just assumed it was all personal.

I did some reading on the CDL thing in Oregon and it seems like once you get into all that DOT business you have a lot of paperwork to worry about.

you got that right and with a lot of ppl on here just barely able to afford the trucks that are coming out I seriously doubt that they are going to be able to afford lawyers that can get them out of any trouble that they will be getting into.

I went and got my Class A cdl and keep my medical up to date for just this reason.

You can tell the DOT LEO anything you want but it's up to him and the judge whether or not they will believe you and think the same way you do. do the right thing and skip the farm exempt crap and make it right.

FreightTrain

Banned
Actually,it is up to the Word of law.The DOT cops can do whatever they want but once it goes before the judge,the judge MUST go by the words in the books.I wonder how something like this would hold up in court in states that use Federal lines as the Commercial requirements.......The way it is worded,if your not getting paid for moving the stuff(Money or goods as payment),paid or awarded prizes for display(if you go to antique car shows),or are awarded prizes for any other participation(as in Racing) then they cannot touch you.Now if your in a state like Kalifornicate where they set rules stricter than fed then you might have a problem.....Judges cannot Legislate from the bench.And I am gonna leave it at that before I go too far off into political crap and get this thread MOABed.

I have a class A CDL, current medical and everything associated with my trip was personal and for my own use. The 150 mile rule for farm truck was something I didn't remember. The farm truck license is legitimate and nothing was being done to circumvent any laws. When I hooked the truck up to the trailer with the M816 aboard, things became commercial and I then fell under all of those rules. Ignorance on my part I guess. The log book seemed to be the kicker.

rizzo

I am researching this. I don't think I need authority, but I do know I need a medical card, US DOT and EGVW plate.
the trooper said I need a CDL. but at the SOS website the exceptions say I dont. SOS - Who Needs a CDL?

more to come.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to FMCSA.DOT.GOV for rules on this. In my case I only need to comply with the federal laws if I cross state lines. So no DOT number, medical, and log books if operating within my state. Different states have different rules about this, the web site has a guide.

rizzo

hmmm,how much does the 172 weigh?What is the deck height?There a 5th wheel trailer with a deck lower that can haul a 40,000lb locomotive?:roll::twisted:
You said it was slow, did you start in low range on the transfer case then split to the high range to get everything moving?
Didn't catch this thread at first.

Good deal rizzo. It is fun moving big stuff eh.....

And I'll just add this from a couple years ago....................

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/8640-pics-m52a2-w-m172-moving-40-ton-load.html
I really enjoy that thread

i called the SOS in MI today and they quoted me what is in these two links word for word.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/hplate_16252_7.pdf

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(yfkft145zojglpunzrwbkj3j))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-20a

"“Historic vehicle” means a vehicle which is over 25 years old, and which is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation."
no other info. left to be interpreted by the police/judge.

My friend got his plate taken off and accused of doing a commercial move. He goes to court on Aug 24th. I should be there with him.

TheBuggyman

Two tickets were written here in Virginia within the last six months by COUNTY DOT folks. Don't know the details but the first ticket was for $16,000 and the other one was for $22,000. The first one put the guy out of business. My friends wife is a 911 operator for the city of Fredericksburg and she confirmed the second one. What the heck do you have to do to get fines like these?

dm22630

Two tickets were written here in Virginia within the last six months by COUNTY DOT folks. Don't know the details but the first ticket was for $16,000 and the other one was for $22,000. The first one put the guy out of business. My friends wife is a 911 operator for the city of Fredericksburg and she confirmed the second one. What the heck do you have to do to get fines like these?

It comes from being overweight on bridges. The main bridges into my town are 38 ton max & a few months back a LOCAL town cop followed a crane over both of them......pulled it over & called the DOT guys.....they wrote the dude a $80,000 ticket!!!!

LightCorporal

Ouch! 80 kilo-smackers! But I suppose when you consider what the law (supposedly)
is trying to prevent, namely damage to a somewhat high-priced bridge (at least I
would hate to have to try to pay for even a teensy bridge, all by my lonesome - just me
and my checkbook) it sort of seems sensible.
A fine like that would make a dent in most anybody's wallet, though!

Monty

Just because you are a farmer and or the vehical has farm plates your still bound by the same weight restrictions and the 150mile rule, it's the same here in Wisconsin.

Now if you hooked up a van trailer and was dragging it around not doing farm business than I guess you can get ticketed, but if your under 150 miles it's up to the officer who pulled you over to make that decsion.

I'm in the process of getting my CDl, even though I own a small farm I didn't want to take the risk of getting pulled over.

Fo those of you who got pulled over what did they get you for?

jwaller

According to Clark truck parts, the front axle is rated for 18000 lbs and the tandem 44000 lbs

I'll make sure and tell the DOT cop just that and after he gets done laughing and writing me a ticket I'll call clark and ask them to help me out of my ticket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks