• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A not-so-funny story (hz)

Bmxenbrett

I almost always have things for sale on craigslist and other online formats. I do a few things to weed out the time wasters.
1)Dont take offers not in person.
2)Dont give full adress until they are on the way.
3)If they ask for a spec not in the listing send them a link that shows everything possible about what your selling.

Usualy they dont make it to #2 on the list.

Chainbreaker

I just bought my first. Mine is missing the "cap" that flips up over the exhaust. Think he might want to sell that?
CAUTION: If yours was missing the exhaust flap cap when you bought it have you run it yet? They have a known issue when missing the exhaust flap to allow water down it into the cylinders. The cylinders, piston rings can rust and lock up the engine. If you haven't started it yet, DON'T attempt to start it until you have turned it over by hand first. If you use the starter on first start and it is rusted internally you run the risk causing more damage than just the rust (broken rings, etc.). There are several thread here on SS regarding this problem and how to free a stuck engine if it has that issue.

If it is tested and running already then disregard this caution but do get the exhaust flap and cover the exhaust ASAP with an inverted can or whatever until you get the flap installed.

Last edited:

TheAlfredo

I'm actually on a trip overseas. Bought it online, but saw a video of it running. It has 10hrs and is not a Reset. All the photos looks like it's brand new...it's a 2010.

But I did notice it's missing the flap. My best friend is accepting delivery today between 9am-3pm. I will make sure he has that exhaust covered. Thank you for the advice.

I haven't seen it in person so I don't know if it's something I can just have a machine shop make for me. Or if it's cheaper to source it.

TheAlfredo

Today I finally saw the generator in person. Put 2 new batteries, checked fluids and it started right up. It is producing electricity, but the Hertz is bouncing around....it waves back and forth. Any thoughts?

And after turning it off (because I started to smell something possibly "burning"...though I didn't find anything...and can't say for sure it came from the generator...I tried to restart and it just turned over and wouldn't start. Looked around to see if I was doing something wrong...and after maybe 2 minutes, it started right up again.

I bought it from Government Liquidations and they "added fluids" and had a video of it running before I bought it. But I plan and draining the oil and putting break in oil. I plan on finding a local company to quote me on a load bank test...and possibly look into the Hertz bouncing issue.

On a different not....how do I start a new thread on here...I can only seem to figure out how to Reply...and feel I should start a new one.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hertz bouncing should also come with rpm change, if that wasn’t there then the guage is suspect. Hook a multi meter to it to verify hertz. I trust the guages as much as I trust politicians. Remember these thing are built by the lowest bidder.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also if it was missing the exhaust flap and stored outside... I’d expect water got places it shouldn’t and hope for leaking exhaust gaskets so the water had a place to drain.

TheAlfredo

I saw A video of it running before I purchased it. Today I saw and Ranett myself for the first time. I did not see any smoke. Tomorrow I plan on taking my multi meter to test the Hertz. Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leaking fuel return lines.... they will all do it at some point. A few hours and some money for an easyish fix. I jut hope you don’t have an MEP-813a that this thread is talking about as it will cause electronics to make the blue smoke puff.

TheAlfredo

I might only on this 813 thread because someone had one for parts..and was looking to buy the exhaust flap/cover.

And i I haven't figured out how to start a new thread

Chainbreaker

...And i I haven't figured out how to start a new thread
Assuming you are logged in, you should see an orange box (actually more of a burnt orange color on my monitor) whenever you are at top of a Forum (i.e. Auxiliary Equipment) and not within a thread. The "+ Post New Thread" box should appear in top left corner and bottom left of your screen. Just select it and start a new post and be sure to use a good thread topic that is not too ambiguous so the right people will take a look and provide pertinent assistance.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks