• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A0, A1, A1R and TM's

GENX

Is there distinction Technical Manual's specific to A1 as opposed to A0 or A1R? Got an A1 and wanted to read up on the correct version. Thanks.

Third From Texas

TMs are a vast mystery to all but a few.

The A0 (June 1998 ) TM's were simply amended to add info for the A1 modifications (2005). The updated versions are difficult to find because they technically have the same numbers as the predecessors. I've never made heads nor tails of it, myself (fortunately one of my trucks came with a print copy of the later version).

The A1R TM's are still locked away in a wooden Raiders of the Lost Ark crate because "classified". Little black helicopters have long since whisked away anyone who had them off-base.

This is what the latest A0/A1 public release looks like. Is it posted here or elsewhere? No telling w/o a specific link...

*note that the cover page is the same as others but mentions the August 2005 amendments (I don't recall finding that amendment on any of the uploads here but it may or may not exist here on SS)

20220629_165959.jpg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A0 technical manuals are public domain. Some A1 stuff is also, but much of it, and all the A1R stuff is not public domain and right around the same time the A1's came out the Army went almost entirely to digital manuals. Once they did that the paper versions basically went away and you just print what you need from the PDF, or later from EMS(NG). The A1R is actually such a strange bastard of a model that the Army doesn't even really recognize the "R" they just call it an A1 and then pull up repair specs in EMS-NG based on the serial number (there's about 25 serial number ranges to narrow down the exact sub-model with the correct specs and information). Much of the correct information for parts especially is actually contained in the A1P2 manuals...... even with access to all the digital manuals it can be a chore to find exactly what you need for a specific truck.

GENX

So what was the question regarding the small box behind the battery box for? Does that distinguish which version of A1 I have?

GENX

TMs are a vast mystery to all but a few.

The A0 (June 1998 ) TM's were simply amended to add info for the A1 modifications (2005). The updated versions are difficult to find because they technically have the same numbers as the predecessors. I've never made heads nor tails of it, myself (fortunately one of my trucks came with a print copy of the later version).

The A1R TM's are still locked away in a wooden Raiders of the Lost Ark crate because "classified". Little black helicopters have long since whisked away anyone who had them off-base.

This is what the latest A0/A1 public release looks like. Is it posted here or elsewhere? No telling w/o a specific link...

*note that the cover page is the same as others but mentions the August 2005 amendments (I don't recall finding that amendment on any of the uploads here but it may or may not exist here on SS)

View attachment 871842
The TM's I downloaded here did not have that Change 1 and 2 through 20 August 2005. I will try to search online for one. Did you get the TM-20 booklet too?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what was the question regarding the small box behind the battery box for? Does that distinguish which version of A1 I have?
Sorta. Like I said there's about 25+ serial number ranges in the actual electronic TM's that narrow down the attributes of that specific truck.

Having the battery disconnect box means it's a later A1. As far as I know the A1R's started around mid-late 2007 and went till the end of BAE production.... 2009-ish. After that the contract for FMTV's went to Oshkosh and from there I am reasonably certain that only A1P2 armored cab models were being produced. Which can never be sold to the public.

Third From Texas

The TM's I downloaded here did not have that Change 1 and 2 through 20 August 2005. I will try to search online for one. Did you get the TM-20 booklet too?
No, I just got the one book.

I have electronic copy of the A0 versions (TM-10 and -20, etc)) as well (it includes the changes thru 2005 even though the cover page does not indicate so).

Of course, I have an A1R so everything I have leaves me in the dark.

LOL

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Sorta. Like I said there's about 25+ serial number ranges in the actual electronic TM's that narrow down the attributes of that specific truck.

Having the battery disconnect box means it's a later A1. As far as I know the A1R's started around mid-late 2007 and went till the end of BAE production.... 2009-ish. After that the contract for FMTV's went to Oshkosh and from there I am reasonably certain that only A1P2 armored cab models were being produced. Which can never be sold to the public.
Heh, S&S/BAE made all sorts of Franken-trucks (mostly all A1s). I've seen A1's with C7s that were clearly not A1R trucks. I suspect at some point they just said "use the parts we have available and make a truck).

;)

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heh, S&S/BAE made all sorts of Franken-trucks (mostly all A1s). I've seen A1's with C7s that were clearly not A1R trucks. I suspect at some point they just said "use the parts we have available and make a truck).
Yep that's probably exactly what happened.

The whole "A1R" thing is really a civilian-side label that's only found on some of the S&S/BAE schematics - it was an internal designation to differentiate trucks built to be field upgraded to an armored cab..... To the Army they are all just A1's and if you go to the Motor Sargent and start talking about A1R he will stare blankly at you and not have a clue what you mean. Since they were designed to be field upgraded to the A1P2 specification though what you find in practice is that if you want schematics applicable to the "A1R" you often have to look in the A1P2 manuals to find them. And there's probably no hope of those ever being declassified. Once they went full digital the interactive manuals ask you for the serial number and then seamlessly direct you to tests and specs that (hopefully) are correct for that truck. Nothing is perfect though and often the resolution of such things as the electrical schematics is so poor that you can't read it forcing you to go back to older PDF style manuals to find properly scanned and readable schematics. Of course the interactive TM's really aren't geared for real technicians that can read and understand schematics - they are designed to interactively step a soldier through test procedures and then direct them to replace part X or Y or repair wiring at location Z. Actual "understanding" of how it works and why with the critical thinking that would involve is understood to be well beyond the average or even above average grunt and so no effort was expended to that end.

Just some insight into how the military "think" has shifted and why even if you had the newer electronic manuals..... they aren't quite as useful as people think they are.

If a truck is a problem they just send it to depot or turn it in where it either goes back to Oshkosh and is stripped to the frame with all it's pieces sent to depots and arsenals to be re-manufactured and they rebuild it from the frame up with all new/reman parts, or it's sent to DRMO and either auctioned or "mutilated" and scrapped. That's the military's solution to trucks that PVT Snuffy and the rest of the E4 mafia have dicked up beyond recognition. Remember they have bottomless pockets.

Last edited:

GENX

No, I just got the one book.

I have electronic copy of the A0 versions (TM-10 and -20, etc)) as well (it includes the changes thru 2005 even though the cover page does not indicate so).

Of course, I have an A1R so everything I have leaves me in the dark.

LOL
Any word on when they might declassify A1-A1R TM's?

GENX

Yep that's probably exactly what happened.

The whole "A1R" thing is really a civilian-side label that's only found on some of the S&S/BAE schematics - it was an internal designation to differentiate trucks built to be field upgraded to an armored cab..... To the Army they are all just A1's and if you go to the Motor Sargent and start talking about A1R he will stare blankly at you and not have a clue what you mean. Since they were designed to be field upgraded to the A1P2 specification though what you find in practice is that if you want schematics applicable to the "A1R" you often have to look in the A1P2 manuals to find them. And there's probably no hope of those ever being declassified. .......
Oh, I guess declassified isn't happening anytime soon for A1(R)'s.

GENX

That is probably the largest differentiator between early and later version A1. It means you have the LBCD and battery disconnect relays and controls.
Oh wow. Thanks for that knowledge. What is LBCD? Wait, I didn't buy a queer truck did I ?!!! LOL

Ronmar

The LBCD is a device that monitors the alternator load and disconnects the grossly oversized battery bank, using the relays in that added box, to keep them from killing the alternator… probably the biggest problem
That plagues the A0/A1 LMTV is the mismatch they created by pairing a 100A dual volt alt with a 240AH battery.

Your A1 will have at least one added sw(has a red guard) below the dash that allows you to control the disconnect relays and remote ign and start switches over by the turbo on the frame rail. Yours probably has an intake heater vis ether fir cold starts, and a few other refinements over the earlier A1…

The latest version typically referred to as the R has the C7 engine and integrated electronic data-bussed gauges, oh and a 260A alt…

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks