• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Accident

ABN173

Well as I was sleeping I was awoke by my doorbell with a neighbor telling me that somebody hit my truck. I was parked along the curb in front of my house. It turns out that a car came down the hill, could not stop and slid into my truck, it pushed the CUCV enough for it to get pushed into my Ford Explorer which was parked about 1-2 feet behind it. The car had no tread on the front two tires (another reason the kid driving could not stop, and the roads were wet) Anyway it's almost 2am and I figured writing this would help me calm down some. Just what I needed since I am due to PCS/move to FT Lewis at the end of the month, now I have two vehicles that need to go into the shop. The damage to the Ford is only cosmetic, The CUCV appears fine but its not. There is some tie-rod/arm damage upon a closer examination. I will take some pics of that tomorrow in the daylight. Oh I also think the frame or least the driver's quarter panel shifted a small amount as when I opened the driver's door it was binding and rubbing a bit. Here are the pics.

Dale

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Atleast the money he saved by not buying tires went to the cool graphics on his doors! Is that weed and a lighter on the driver's floor board?

scooter01922

Looks like CUCV=1, car= 0 to me :-D Hope the damage isn't too bad and that the guy actually has insurance. Just think what could have happened if you drove a civic and be happy no one got hurt.

ABN173

Atleast the money he saved by not buying tires went to the cool graphics on his doors! Is that weed and a lighter on the driver's floor board?
Well if it is the Police missed it when they looked around. He admitted drinking but was not charged, just cited with driving to fast and also the bald tires.

Last edited:

ABN173

Looks like CUCV=1, car= 0 to me :-D Hope the damage isn't too bad and that the guy actually has insurance. Just think what could have happened if you drove a civic and be happy no one got hurt.
Yeah..... wow though really the kid plowed into a steel truck that has been lifted with 36" tires the only thing worse he driven into would have been a concrete wall ya know?

ABN173

I suppose he has/had insurance? That would be my main concern.
Yes, he did at least that is good, and he was not hurt..........really though the kid picked the worst thing on the entire street to run into lol
Did you notice the deflated airbag?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I saw that. Not too concerned if he was hurt. Your truck could have been a minivan with a family in it.

ABN173

Yeah, I saw that. Not too concerned if he was hurt. Your truck could have been a minivan with a family in it.
Right, his mom and step-dad were not happy about it. He has no job right now either so I did something I normally do not do I talked to him about joining the military. He is 25 years old and going nowhere (if you know the type). And yes, I considered this also, better to have hit a empty parked car than a family coming home from the movies or something.

Dozer11B

Hey ABN173,

Sucks about your truck man. There's an attaboy for trying to point a directionless kid toward something that might change his life.

I thank my Mom a lot for kicking me out on my butt when I turned 18. Only option left was a 4 year stint in the Army.

Ten years in and this lifer has ten to go. Sraightened my ass up, got married to a beutiful girl from Phenix City, AL and she gave me 3 gorgeous daughters.

Life is good.

You never know- maybe it'll stick and he'll sign up and do the same, or maybe he'll continue. I've seen it go both ways with guys.

Hope it works out with your trucks and your PCS move. If you haven't been to Lewis before, it's pretty nice. Are you going Stryker??

allrevup

Sorry to heard about this misshap. Glad that no person were injured. This past July 4 on the way home from the fireworks display. A kid on a skate board darted in front of me from behind a on coming Van. I turn to righ to avoid him, onto a park vehicle I was travelling at less then 25 MPH and the sheet metal damage was extensive particurlly to the park Pasifica Minivan that was puched onto to a Ford 350 SD. The Pasifica owner friend was near and witness the accident, So that took care of the police. I was happy that no one was injured, "The kit " fleed. Maybe he too will rethink his future. My truck that is a different story. So belive me... I relate, I feel your pain.

Attachments

Last edited:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't know if I would have swerved for a skateboard they have manuverablity and he could have jumped over the top of your truck according to the movies. I think anyone that drives poorly or pulls a stunt like that on a skate board needs to understand they are responsible for their actions. Glad no one got hurt really sheet metal and tie rods are cheaper than keeping someone alive in the ICU

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I don't know if I would have swerved for a skateboard they have manuverablity and he could have jumped over the top of your truck according to the movies. I think anyone that drives poorly or pulls a stunt like that on a skate board needs to understand they are responsible for their actions. Glad no one got hurt really sheet metal and tie rods are cheaper than keeping someone alive in the ICU
Concur. I swerved once and for my troubles I got sued. Guess what I don't do anymore.

Bummer about the truck. You could also sue him and make you suit contingent on him joining the military and completing 4 years with a honorable discharge:grin::-D.

jj

BUT, what happens when you DON'T swerve? Hit the kid on the skateboard, cripple him, maybe kill him? Watch how many "witnesses" come out of the woodwork to report that "the driver of that big green truck" never even tried to avoid hitting the kid! Watch and see what the back of the phone book lawyers do to you then. You will be harpooned for your inactions just as thoroughly. And believe it, there are ALWAYS witnesses, and they are always the brother, cousin, neighbor, friend of the poor innocent victim. So swerve, dodge, weave, whatever. Better to whack a parked car, or some other inanimate object. That IS what you are paying those insurance premiums for anyway.

m35tech

abn173 the suggestion for the military would in turn be best for this kid , 25 yrs old and going no where, you were right probably goes out drinking etc, no goals... sounds like he needs some structure...

mistaken1

Bummer.

Being a (25 year old) kid I bet it never occurred to him to release the brakes and attempt steering away from the parked cars (his tires may have worked better at changing the direction of travel because they sure did not work at stopping). I am willing to bet he came over the hill, panicked, locked up the brakes and helplessly watched in horror as he slid into your truck.

Yes it is good thing he did not kill someone. Hopefully he did not have full coverage insurance and will be walking from now on. Although at 25 years old and having mom and step dad come for him I am again willing to bet they will provide another set of wheels for this 'kid' and continue to enable him to 'go nowhere' while having a car, home, clothes, food, medical care, and most importantly time and money to party until the wee hours of the morning.

Yah I'm cynical.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks