• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Accident

ABN173

Hey ABN173,

There's an attaboy for trying to point a directionless kid toward something that might change his life.

Hope it works out with your trucks and your PCS move. If you haven't been to Lewis before, it's pretty nice. Are you going Stryker??
Yeah I hope he considers it. Oh as far a Lewis goes I get to go to 1st group, bye bye big army!

Dale

ABN173

Bummer.

Although at 25 years old and having mom and step dad come for him I am again willing to bet they will provide another set of wheels for this 'kid' and continue to enable him to 'go nowhere' while having a car, home, clothes, food, medical care, and most importantly time and money to party until the wee hours of the morning.
Yah I'm cynical.
I don't believe he has that luxury, and the family only live next door to me. The "kid" moved out to live with his younger brother as he was not getting along with the step-Dad so I don't see a bail out in his future. Perhaps he will consider the military, he needs it. It was hard to shift gears from being ticked off to giving advice but I managed. Of course I had to laugh to myself at seeing the massive damage to his car and just a couple of things wrong with my 1009, that helped some too.

Dale

Last edited:

ABN173

updated photos CUCV vs CAR

Here are some daylight photos of the damage:

My damage seems to be minor mostly just the leaf spring, tie rod and some type of arm/joint.

The car might as well be scrap!

Attachments

ABN173

Oh the frame on the CUCV may have shifted, its difficult to open the Driver's side door as it rubs against the quarter panel.

DanMartin

Glad nobody was hurt.

If the frame shifted, any body shop with a frame straightener should be able to pull it back. Some of the body panels may need to be re-shimmed and aligned.

Martin T.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune/someone else's stupidity. Glad no one was hurt. Sucks about your CUCV. Hope everything works out for you.

allrevup

Wow !

Sir, that car litterarilly crawl under you CUCV. Is a Hard call as to any potencial frame damage. The 1 ton frame is a pretty stout one, as I also fount out (the one, GOOD thing) the hard way. It may have just shifted the front clipp so as to couse the doors/hood to rub. When looking at damage and the ovious damage for replacements. I would also look at the front springs mounts and bolts, raddiator and mounts as well as the hidro and cooler lines connections, steering box and mounting area, pitman arm and the coulum(?) rod and joint, electrical connections wires and accesories. As it appears that they share ( dissipation, is a GOOD thing ) quit a bit of the inmpact. Saddlly (HOW IT CAME ABOUT) this may Also be a good time to upgrade the tie rod (if not install a cross over steering) with one from O.R.D, OFF ROAD DESSING.com (or other's equivallent ) to a 1 1/2" tie rod , #U9014-HD $115 , U9014-HD tie rods kit, left and right with 7/8 X 18 Draglink ends and jam nuts about $95, #BG05003 Swaybar bushing kit $19, Maybe their Sway Bar disconet KIT GU37001 $99, GM HD draglink links F. & R. (this may be my local GM dealer parts #'s) #88910028 and #88910029 MSRP $63.14 and $58.90. (prices are as of my March 2007 build). Good luck!!

Last edited:

ABN173

Sir, that car litterarilly crawl under you CUCV. Is a Hard call as to any potencial frame damage. The 1 ton frame is a pretty stout one, as I also fount out (the one, GOOD thing) the hard way. It may have just shifted the front clipp so as to couse the doors/hood to rub. When looking at damage and the ovious damage for replacements. I would also look at the front springs mounts and bolts, raddiator and mounts as well as the hidro and cooler lines connections, steering box and mounting area, pitman arm and the coulum(?) rod and joint, electrical connections wires and accesories. As it appears that they share ( dissipation, is a GOOD thing ) quit a bit of the inmpact. Saddlly (HOW IT CAME ABOUT) this may Also be a good time to upgrade the tie rod (if not install a cross over steering) with one from O.R.D, OFF ROAD DESSING.com (or other's equivallent ) to a 1 1/2" tie rod , #U9014-HD $115 , U9014-HD tie rods kit, left and right with 7/8 X 18 Draglink ends and jam nuts about $95, #BG05003 Swaybar bushing kit $19, Maybe their Sway Bar disconet KIT GU37001 $99, GM HD draglink links F. & R. (this may be my local GM dealer parts #'s) #88910028 and #88910029 MSRP $63.14 and $58.90. (prices are as of my March 2007 build). Good luck!!
Good info! Thanks,

Dale

mistaken1

I don't believe he has that luxury, and the family only live next door to me. The "kid" moved out to live with his younger brother as he we not getting along with the step-Dad so I don't see a bail out in his future. Perhaps he will consider the military, he needs it. It was hard to shift gears from being ticked off to giving advice but I managed. Of course I had to laugh to myself at seeing the massive damage to his car and just a couple of things wrong with my 1009, that helped some too.

Dale
That's one bet I lost. I wonder what he was doing on your street at 1:00 in the morning, drunk? Cruising by his mom's house? I too hope he takes your advice and grows up.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see:
flame job on door
abnormal funny little tires which are no good on wet anyway
don't tell me that's the original fuzzy velvet interior!!
Out at 1-2AM? doing what? cruising for the kind of chicks that are out at 1-2AM?

ugh - - "Out through the night and the whispering breezes to the place where they keep the imaginary diseases.." -Zappa

Well at least one more eyesore is off the road.
The military might straighten someone like that out. If they don't get kicked out.

BobM

Sorry to read about your mishap. I hope you can get everything taken care of by the ins co before your move. Sometimes after you move out of their area, some companies try to "forget about" you. If they seem to be dragging their feet, I'd put some pressure on them.;-)

ABN173

Sorry to read about your mishap. I hope you can get everything taken care of by the ins co before your move. Sometimes after you move out of their area, some companies try to "forget about" you. If they seem to be dragging their feet, I'd put some pressure on them.;-)
Thanks, I am doing exactly that today in fact, I would like to see it fixed prior to my move.

K45

Thats wild. i just read through. that kid had to be hauling to not only to lift up your front onto his hood but to move a parked vehicle a few ft. I hope the frame is not messed up and it is just a matter of being knocked out of adjustmnet. Let us know the outcome of everything. Take care

ONTOS66

I'm sure that is one of the last things you need to deal with before a pcs! Hope the damage to the M1009 isn't as bad as you think. They may rust but they do take a knock. :)

On the bright side no one ways injured - and the fool didn't run off the road and in to the house!

Perhaps you might consider parking on the lawn in the future? Leave more room on the streets and sidewalks for drunks and other fools. Or (the SS boys will love this) perhaps trade UP to something like a 5 Ton - then dare some fool to drive in to it. ;)

(just keep some spray paint handy to cover the scratches and paint transfers)

Just one more reason I like tanks!

:twisted:

brianrbull

CUCV Wreck

This same thing happened to me 2 years ago. truck was parked on the street woman hit the right rear of the bumper TOTALING her truck my truck moved 4 feet onto the sidewalk bumper slightly bent blackout light broken, tail,turn lens broken, slight denting . Due to the fact it was parked it was treated as property not a vehicle and her insurance covered all the damages to include repainting I took the cash and bought my first deuce, so this may be a bitter blessing in disguise. I will see if I have the photos if so I will post.

Attachments

Last edited:

tsmall07

Here is a link to my thread on the tie rod I built. Paying that much for the stock rod is a hard pill to swallow, so I built one. It took me about 2 hours to build and it is comparable, if not better than the stout rods you can buy. It is easy to set it up with whatever rod ends you want so that you can go to cross over at a later date. Your local parts house has all the ends you need for pretty cheap and I got the steel from "carwash" on pirate4x4.com. He has the best prices that I've found. I think my tie rod counts as a recovery point now. :-D

ABN173

Here is a link to my thread on the tie rod I built. Paying that much for the stock rod is a hard pill to swallow, so I built one. It took me about 2 hours to build and it is comparable, if not better than the stout rods you can buy. It is easy to set it up with whatever rod ends you want so that you can go to cross over at a later date. Your local parts house has all the ends you need for pretty cheap and I got the steel from "carwash" on pirate4x4.com. He has the best prices that I've found. I think my tie rod counts as a recovery point now. :-D
Thanks, I will let the guys at the shop know. I put both my vehicles in the collision center today since the adjuster came out this morning. This means I will be riding my Harley Davidson Night Rod into work until one of them gets fixed. Man I hope it does not rain hard........" fingers crossed & knocking on wood"

Dale
(yeah I know I just jinxed myself)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks