• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket CTIS covers for FMTVs

Off Road Ingenuity

It looks like where he is bolting them on thru the grill is where the cab tilt hinge is bolted to the cab... Fairly robust there, probably as much as anywhere else on the cab...
It looks like where he is bolting them on thru the grill is where the cab tilt hinge is bolted to the cab... Fairly robust there, probably as much as anywhere else on the cab...

I
Hhhhmmm I only see one spot right in the center of the grill which (on my A1R) is a really wimpy little sheet metal bracket to bolt the grill to.

View attachment 926012

View attachment 926013

To anchor at the tilt brackets would be excellent but you have to cut holes in the grill for that.
Hi, I believe that compared to what's available on the US market, this roofrack is by far the easiest to assemble, transport ,most usefull, sturdiest, and the one that makes the most sense. I have used very ridged points to secure this compared to some that mount on the sheet metal. I have used solid mounting points of the cab that hold the hole cab in place. As well as getting much support from the ladders , and some help from the gutters. I don't think anyones design
whether it is US or European comes close to my design. Please feel free to come and check it out. I also offer free instalation in Bethel Pa..

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure it's a very serviceable "rack" - I'm worried about the brush guard portion and how it mounts.

I would propose an OPTION - design a new grill that incorporates the guard mounts into the cab pivot brackets. You could just bolt it to your existing design in place of that bottom hoop.

This is all academic - I'm only trying to point out ways it could be improved. I can't use a rack of any conventional design on my truck due to having a HIMARS commanders hatch on my cab.

Off Road Ingenuity

Hhhhmmm I only see one spot right in the center of the grill which (on my A1R) is a really wimpy little sheet metal bracket to bolt the grill to.

View attachment 926012

View attachment 926013

To anchor at the tilt brackets would be excellent but you have to cut holes in the grill for that.
Right behind the grille, there is a spot where you can fasten the brackets you might have to cut a slot into your grille

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you just have cut cut a little slot in there
Yes I see that now. That should be doable for guys with the A1R style grill. Looks like a solid design.

The rack won't work for me since I have a HIMARS commanders hatch that replaced my turret cover so the rack will prevent my hatch from being operational. Sadly I will have to do something custom to use the area to either side of the turret hole and I also have MRAP light bars that will require special mounting in front of the hatch, etc. Looks good for people that don't have my requirements though.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I need one of those!
Yeah - "rare" probably isn't a strong enough term. Built by O’Gara Hess Eisenhardt Armoring Company for the first generation HIMARS Crew Protection cab in the early to mid '00's. They were all replaced by the first armored cab (ICP - Improved Crew Protection) in the late 2000's and later second generation LTAS (Long Term Armor Solution) cabs and HIMARS production has been relatively slow and small till recent years. I don't know exact numbers but I estimate there could be no more than 150 to 200 of these made. The newer armored cabs have rectangular hatches that are not compatible as they were not just modified S&S cabs - they were redesigned from the ground up. What's worse is that as I understand it all of these first gen cabs went to auction as essentially scrap metal before the huge wave of FMTV's hit the auction so I think quite a few of them may actually have been melted down having no real use case in the civilian market at that time.....

So yeah - finding any custom component built only for a 2.8 million dollar artillery rocket system is going to be a trick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks