• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket Winch

03Dexterhauler

Been holding out for a Deuce with a winch. Passed over a few good ones without winches, but after reading some of the problems with the factory winch was wondering if anyone is running an aftermarket winch one ones that came without them. Assume 12Klbs is the minimum to consider with the duece. Any info is greatly appreciated!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nah, a WORKING stock winch is your best bet, maybe a hydro behind that. I say that as it will take some engineering. I prefer the hydro, just don't feel the stock sys. is that bad.

dc3coyote

I dont remember the exact formula, but your going to want a winch that is rated for a continuous 1.5 times the wieght of the truck. Your going to need even more really, think how heavy that 12k truck will be when all three axels are buried in the mud. It will take at least twice the weight of the truck to be winched out.

Try looking at the Warn rating page and just adjust the weight to your Duece.
Find a factory PTO and winch, that will be your best bet.

Farmun

I'm trying to finish up the installation of an electric winch on my Deuce - Warn 18K Severe Duty. I was just comparing the specs, between this one and the non-severe duty DC 18K version . 175 lbs compared to 103 lbs (as listed from the Warn website). I think both have the same motor, and they are rated at 4.6 fpm at 278 amps.

joec

warn makes an 18.5 k winch that is perfect for a deuce. I see them regularly on ebay for 800.00 or less and they are 24v. I have one and love it.
I agree the electric work pretty good. Caveman TRUCKS on here installs them on his bobbed deuces and his personal trucks. And the wheel them pretty hard!

With the amps they draw on the newer designs they are pretty reliable.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think there is a problem with the stock winch. Most problems I have heard about were operator error.[thumbzup]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll put my stock PTO winch up against a 18k electric any day. Let's hook both our trucks to a tree and then tie the winch cables together. I'm not 100% sure I'd win but I'm sure enough that I'm willing to try it.

Farmun

I'll put my stock PTO winch up against a 18k electric any day. Let's hook both our trucks to a tree and then tie the winch cables together. I'm not 100% sure I'd win but I'm sure enough that I'm willing to try it.
I have no doubt that the stock winch is more of a man than most electric winches. I'll let someone else take you up on this challenge. For me it was more availability, price, and complexity of the install. I'm hoping the electric winch is more of a conversation piece and emergency recovery option, than a tool that will need be used quite often.

mikew

I'm preparing to add an electric winch to my bobbed deuce.

I considered both an electric and a stock pto winch.

The price of both are very similar, although an electric winch that has pulling power approaching the stock pto one can easily be more (than a used stock winch).

The thing that made me go electric was one man operation.

Standing out front "where the action is" with a controller is much more appealing than sitting in the cab operating the clutch.

colelkhunter

My bobber started out life as a winch truck. I removed it, sold it and bought a Warn 18.5K severe duty to go on the truck. If you are going to use it occasionally, then stick with PTO. If you need to get out of a ditch and are willing to put the truck there by yourself, then go electric. One person operation is priceless. Also lets see who gets unstuck with the motor stop pulled out. No motor, no PTO remember that. I also wanted the decrease in length. The factory PTO sticks out too much for me. My warn in tucked up nicely under the radiator. Front bumper is in stock location. I just got a new plasma cutter so it is all apart now to be redone to hide the winch even more. I am taking photos as I go for a writeup.

jesusgatos

What about mounting the stock winch behind the rear axle, and snaking the cable forward to the front bumper within a tube, probably running down the driver's side? mid-mounted winches work? Talking about the cables are routed so they can pull from the front or rear. Doubled back on themselves so that it would be a double-line pull from the front and a single-line pull from the back? Re-route the winch cable as needed? Never really seen a vehicle with a winch setup like that up close enough to figure out how they make it work.

joec

Well from experience and burying a deuce with the shear pin and doubling the cable it struggles to pull it self out. I have seen the 18k winch not even grunt winching out a 14,000lb deuce.

i have an 8000 lb hyd on my backhoe ,,i used to have an electric on it ,for 5 ft pulls the electric was good but for a couple of 100 ft pulls in a row (along a creek doing beaver dams)the hyd is so much better you would never go back to electric . i probly do more winching than most ppl ,as i winch logs out to a centeral spot with the deuce winch 5 12to 20 in full length trees is a a full drag . i have 250 ft of cable if your not used to winching id recomend half of that i do have an electric on my 3/4 ton welding truck its good but i have a double battery set up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks