• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air conditioner install using Waterloo parts

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a valid concern.

No, I've not contacted Red Dot. Honestly I don't expect them to be helpful and/or charge government prices. They probably want $200 for that bag of parts, if I'm lucky.
You can use the blower hose adapters from the heater unit so don't worry about that. You will have to bend the tabs a bit and crush them oval to get them in but it does work and in fact I had to do this on the passenger side due to the proximity of the transmission control unit.

I looked in the IETM's and the PDF's I have for the LSAC FMTV's and none of the parts diagrams list that drain tube. In the IETM it shows it as item #59 but does not give any part numbers for the breakdown of the heater/evaporator HVAC unit.

I would call Red Dot. Can't hurt to ask. Just explain that you are such and such unit motor sergeant and are in need of a part number and NSN since your manual doesn't list it. Positive they will respond to that :cool:

coachgeo

...No, I've not contacted Red Dot.
search of the net for "rubber duckbill drain" came up with.

https://www.vmacs.net/products/condensate-drain-duckbill-check-valve-72r9020 (red dot even)
https://www.powersportsid.com/atlantis/duckbill-drain.html (for boats w/ bloated marine prices.. though they may be way larger?? found similar on ebay)
https://www.silicongasket.com/Rubber-Duckbill-Drain-Valve-pd94523936.html (maybe this chinese company can give you list of USA distributers/resellers?)

there is a lot more. the wording in the above ads might lead you to better search terms.. like maybe put ID size you need in the Net search?

Guruman

Not so new member
search of the net for "rubber duckbill drain" came up with.

https://www.vmacs.net/products/condensate-drain-duckbill-check-valve-72r9020 (red dot even)
https://www.powersportsid.com/atlantis/duckbill-drain.html (for boats w/ bloated marine prices.. though they may be way larger?? found similar on ebay)
https://www.silicongasket.com/Rubber-Duckbill-Drain-Valve-pd94523936.html (maybe this chinese company can give you list of USA distributers/resellers?)

there is a lot more. the wording in the above ads might lead you to better search terms.. like maybe put ID size you need in the Net search?
Yeah, I've tried multiple search engines, and found surprisingly little that would fit the 15mm hole.

I'll dig through these, thanks.

Guruman

Not so new member
so it is 15mm OD hole?
The hole is the bottom of the HVAC unit is 15mm, I'd call it the ID, but I suppose it's also the OD. There's not anything protruding out from the sheet metal that I would call an OD, just a hole.

And there are two different thicknesses of the metal around the holes. I was able to get a grommet into a couple of them, but I did not have a grommet with enough thickness to get into the other pair of holes, as the HVAC unit's floor was twice as thick in that area.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I'm trying to sort out the wiring before I drop in my inside unit. I got the wiring harness from Tom.

Most if it makes sense one part plugs into matching plugs on the HVAC unit and has connectors for the fans, pressure sensors, and pump. Branching off this is a wire with a spade connector that goes to the fording switch.

That leaves a orange and a black wire on a 2 pin connector that seems like power and ground maybe... Not sure where these tap into.

Then... I see a round 4 pin connector in the HVAC unit that I don't seem to have a match for. I'm hoping it's something already in the dash.
2 pin orange and black is 24v power from PDP. 4 pin goes to the original power connector the heater used.

ramdough

All,

I am temporarily stalled. After I drilled out the hump cover, the sewing split open (unrelated). I sent it to a repair shop today and should get it back next week. After that is done, I should be ready for the evaporator install.

Real quick question…… I put a zip tie on one of my heater hoses to remember which one was feeder and which one is return. Now I don’t remember which is which. I am assuming it will be obvious, but since my cab is down for now, I thought I would ask for an easy way to identify it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guruman

Not so new member
All,

I am temporarily stalled. After I drilled out the hump cover, the sewing split open (unrelated). I sent it to a repair shop today and should get it back next week. After that is done, I should be ready for the evaporator install.

Real quick question…… I put a zip tie on one of my heater hoses to remember which one was feeder and which one is return. Now I don’t remember which is which. I am assuming it will be obvious, but since my cab is down for now, I thought I would ask for an easy way to identify it?

Did you figure this out? I'm about to take mine apart. Something I can check or look for?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It really doesn't matter...... it's a lot like an incandescent bulb - you need current flow. Same with the heater - if you want heat you need flow through the core. The direction of flow is pretty much irrelevant. It's just a radiator located inside the cab.

ramdough

It really doesn't matter...... it's a lot like an incandescent bulb - you need current flow. Same with the heater - if you want heat you need flow through the core. The direction of flow is pretty much irrelevant. It's just a radiator located inside the cab.
IIRC…I think it does matter. This was discussed before and the valves don’t work right if reversed or some other issue, like trapping air. I don’t remember the thread, but the debugging for heat not working was to reverse the flow. Also, the direction markings are very prominent, so they must have felt strongly about it. I might as well put it back the way it was designed.

Guruman

Not so new member
OK @ramdough I couldn't wait until the weekend.

Here's some pics, but the gist of it is the front most hose is the inflow. If it trace that line back, it goes down along the passenger frame rail, then up towards the front of the engine near the front crank pulley. Both hoses lead here, one stops short (lower on the engine), and that's the return. The feed line feeding flow into the heater box comes from higher up.

I hope that makes sense.

IMG_2301.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg
IMG_2303.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks