• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airlift/tie down bar steel grade

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have repurposed them by cutting them down so they fit between the frame rails, like crossmembers, the weld mounts to them for other stuff such as an electric crane.

In a prior iteration of LMTV, I used them partially extended as an anchor point for roll over protection.

20220627_112907.jpg

Last edited:

BigMontana

See yes, it's stuff like this slide RV build that i'm talking about. why use a custom built rail system so you can keep your giant unaredynamic box...why not just use a big rig tail gate hinge from an end dump truck, and use that to support something that folds out from travel position, instead of slides out.
Cost of custom slide out? $1500?
Cost of Big Rig end dump hinge and a few feet of iron pipe? $150

I think it's funny that they are building thin steel structure above this thick ass i beam just waiting to have something to hold...the design of the truck was to support a load, so let it support a hinge.

I think he's talking about the male A1R's pintle when it sees a sexy female LMTV....

View attachment 900899

At least one build that I've seen had a rear slide out that has always sparked my interest. It'd be a cool way to support a rear patio or something...

View attachment 900900

BigMontana

see, yes i love this non-basic thinking...this is why i'm here. people who do something weird are cool.

I have repurposed them by cutting them down so they fit between the frame rails, like crossmembers, the weld mounts to them for other stuff such as an electric crane.

In a prior iteration of LMTV, I used them partially extended as an anchor point for roll over protection.

View attachment 900914

Last edited:

BigMontana

Think about the hinge idea on the back of the truck, you could have a fold out extended living surface on one side, and a lever to bring a motorcycle (say a Rokon?) up behind the truck tailgate and into stowage/travel position -- build some protection around it and carry it high enough to still use the off road capabilities of the vehicle, and bring a dirt bike. If you work the idea right you could use the same legs you fold down to support the end dump hinged tailgate to make up the exterior of the bike carrier on the front and read of the bike...you just need a bike that's shorter than 7 feet or so...lots of those exist.

-Deke

I was sorta thinking a bike rack/rear deck pull out thingy...

View attachment 900935