• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternate fuels, Biodiesel

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up 10 gallons of methanol today. Turns out that one of the fellows at the NAPA store here races go-carts and could get me the fuel (methanol) for $2.50/gallon.
Also, a few days ago, I spoke to the owner of a local deli and she informed me that they pay $200/year for the service of having their waste cooking oil hauled away. She has no problem with me picking it up. It's about 15-20 gallons/week.
I'm all set to get going on this project and not counting one-time supplies, storage containers, etc, my cost per gallon of biodiesel will be about $0.65/gallon.
The trip to Aberdeen in a couple of weeks will be the first test drive with biodiesel. My mix will be 50% petro diesel for the 300 mile trip (each way).

Desert Rat

This sounds more and more interesting. I may just have to invest when the opportunity arises. Thanks Bjorn! I'd love to see test results!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up another 15 gallons of cooking oil at the small deli yesterday. Had to use a galvanized trash can to transport it since it was still hot.
I was at the landfill/recycling center the other day an found out that a number of restaurants bring their oil there. Seems to be a good place to find out who has waste cooking oil for free.

A new problem emerges, that of storing this stuff. Wonder how those military "bladder" type containers would work. How long can one store unprocessed cooking oil, anyway?

Still planning to to use biodiesel for the trip to Aberdeen next week (at least 50% or so).

mangus580

Honestly I wouldnt rely much on the info at journey to forever. There are much better places out there like http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751 or http://www.localb100.com/cbt/mainpage/

I have been steadily working on a BD setup for my M1009 and my M35A2. Pics of my progress can be seen at http://www.wesleyscott.com/modules....ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I am also a member of 2 yahoo groups, biodiesel and biodieselbasics. Both are very informative groups. I have learned that there is alot of opinions out there, and its best to read them all and make your choices based on everything. I wish I could find a source of oil that can supply me as good as Bjorn's... I figure I need 15-20 gallons of oil a week, or more to meet my demands.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mangus, thanks for the info. I too like to check a large number of sources before learning on my own.
Next step in my procedure is the "washing" and the only concern is the time it may take.
How bad is it to use unwashed biodiesel in a ratio of, say, 50-50 to petro diesel?

Opie

Mangus,

Welcome aboard! Biodiesel is one way I rationalized buying an MV, and I hope to play some making small batches this summer (I've picked up 4 35lb. containers of used soy frying oil to start out.)

Please share with us where you live/hang out/are hiding from the Law in your signature so we can come and beg assistance when our test batches aren't working out! :)

mangus580

Opie, I have added my sig right after I made that first post. How many gallons do you figure are in a 35lb. container? Thats what the local chinese restaraunt told me they would be giving me, is one 35lb container a week. I assume around 5 gallons? Also, dont consider me an expert... ;-) after all, I didnt stay at a holiday inn express last night... LOL

Hi Mangus,

Very interesting thread we have going here. I am following this with zest.

In response to your weight questions. Wwhen flying, (private pilot), we allowed 8 lbs. per gal for oil and 7 for fuel.
Therefore your estimation for a 35 lb container @ 5 gals is pretty dang close.

Has anyone tried a blend using mineral spirits (paint thinner) in the multifuel? At $1.99 a gal. it might be worth checking into.

Gary

Opie

Mangus,

Polverone's about right - they LOOK like about five gallons, but I haven't done anything with them yet to get a more accurate measure.

Polverone,

I love your avatar! While my wife is very mechanically inclined, she didn't take shop class in junior high, so she needs to work on her safety skills. It would be just right for her, too!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary. The problem with paint thinner is, it's a solvent. The injection pump needs some lube due to the tight tolorences. I use used motor oil (FREE) from friends and family. I just strain it through coffie filters 3 times before adding it to the tank. I've tried 20% oil to diesel with out any problems. I usally run 10%.

HI Ken,

Motor oil up to 20%? Now yer talkin'. I love all that free fuel.

I wonder if a 15% motor oil/5% paint thinner to the 80% diesel would be worth trying?

Or is any amount of mineral spirits not advisable, period?

I've a lot to learn. I'll be watching with baited breath for Bjorn's findings.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you like the spirits idea, try this. Mix the motor oil with the spirits. In what ever ratio you choose and see if it blends. Some hydrocarbons don't mix well with others. Take a plastic cup and drill a 1/16 hole in the bottom. fill it with diesel, then time it to see how long it takes to stop draining. (stop watch required) Then blend your oil and spirits and run it through your cup. Keep blending thicker of thinner untill the times get pretty close. Then pour your mixture on one hand and the diesel on the other. Then rub your fingers together. To see of you can tell if your mixture has more friction than the diesel. If the mixture feels like it lubes better then try blending it with the diesel in small increments in the fuel tank. And see how it runs. Start with mabye 2% and work your way up from there. Good luck and let us know how well it works. Personally using spirits doesen't seem like a good idea to me. But if you have a good supply then mabye it's more appealing. I know fuel prices in CA are insane, so good luck.

rdixiemiller

Mineral spirits shouldn't be an issue, it is similar to deodorized kerosene, maybe a little faster evaporation rate. It is also quite clean. I am interested in the used motor oil bit, I have a buddy who is the chief mechanic at an ambulance service. I can get nice, clean, used Delo 400 oil from him. I have a 1/2" air powered diaphragm pump (whiz bang) that I can use to push the oil through a regular deuce fuel filter (primary). That ought to get it clean enough for engine consumption. I wonder how high a concentration you can use without sacrificing power and performance?
Bjorn-Get some pH test strips from a pool store. They are a pretty cheap way to check your oil samples. You can also order a battery operated checker for around $75 if you do this a lot. I might have an extra one in my desk at work, I'll have to check and see. I would be a bit concerned with the animal fats that end up in fry oil. Fry oil that has been used for meats can be acidic, kind of hard on brass items.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a battery powered pH meter at a yard sale. It appears to be working and shows the rirght pH values.
The "un-washed" biodiesel I made had a pH value of about 8. Washing the biodiesel should bring it down to a neutral of about 7.
I started to get set up to wash the biodiesel, but ran out of time for the Aberdeen trip, so last Wednesday, I poured 20 gallons of unwashed biodiesel plus 20 gallons of petro diesel in the tank and left for the 420 mile trip to Aberdeen MD.
At about 19:00 hrs we met up with several of the other convoy participants in Doswell near Richmond. The deuce run beautifully those first 260 miles, the exhaust had the distinct aroma of french fries.
For the trip from Doswell to Aberdeen, the fuel mix was 25-30% plain filtered cooking oil (straight from the restaurant), which was brought along in Jerry cans. There may have been some biodiesel/petro mix left, but for all practical purposes it was about 10 gallons of cooking oil plus 30 or so of petro diesel.
Again, the deuce ran beautifully.
Yesterday's return trip was on 10 % cooking oil and 90% petro diesel. I'll have more Jerry cans for the next trip.

The biodiesel cost me $0.65/gal and the cooking oil was free.

Saved us close to $100 in fuel costs for the trip.

The exhaust stings the eyes a little, but smells good:).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Desert Rat, you now have two fuel tanks on your M109, correct? Why don't you check out the possibility of using one tank for used cooking oil and switch over when the engine is warmed up. You start and shut down on regular diesel and run on WVO. That way you wouldn't have to be concerned about injector coking, which may become a problem when mixing oil in regular diesel and starting and shutting down on it (at least in the long term).

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
I now have a free supply of clean used motor oil which doesn't need converting, just a little thinning with regular diesel to make starts real easy. Extra benefits include a really well lubed distributor pump and extra BTUs for some (hopefully) improved fuel economy. By buying a small ammount of diesel to cut with I'm anticipating my total fuel costs to be reduced by 80% or more. I'll post some data when I get the experiment in full swing. I'm also looking at a centerfuge (for free) to do the separating with serious volume results. The hope is to spin the oil down to a near diesel consistancy to be used in place of regular diesel and drop costs down to free with some experimentation. I have uses for the remaining "sludge" as well. More on that once I've bought my acerage and settle down permanently. Another benefit of the oil is no need to switch over anything on the truck. I'm anticipating buying a few extra fuel filters to use while I get a good balance on the oil separation. I can't turn down free oil to use as a fuel. I'll post pics on the experiments and posts my results. It may take a few months to get everything together. But I promise I'll post!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two things come to mind, supply, you need hundreds of gallons for long trips and air pollution issues. I'm going to see about measuring the pollutants from my exhaust with diesel and with biodiesel/cooking oil. One shop in Floyd (about 20 miles away) has a SnapOn exhaust gas analyzer, wonder if it's set up for diesel...

Desert Rat

Good questions Bjorn. Since these trucks are federally exempted from emissions standards (alas the multifuel concept) it's more a curiosity issue for me. Another really cool thing (since my life has always been the exception to the rule, why not add another) is I'm looking at the reality of gaining a small enough centerfuge to be installed in a 105 trailer and hook the trailer on the back of the truck. All I need to do then is wait for the machine to do its thing and I'm good to go. I already have some generators to supply the juice to the 'fuge. Plus I'm going to hand craft a new battery box to fit between the spring seats to free up the old battery area and put a step fuel tank in to help my wife get in the truck and give me an additional 50 to 60 gallon capacity. I'm also looking to make a custom tool box on the driver's rear corner of the truck and french mount the stoplight and glad hand on it to free up the tool box area for another tank. I fugure a little more than doubling the capacity will put me near the 1400 mile mark between fuelings based on how 'Storm is running right now. I'm looking to tweak the motor for best economy while running at 2400 rpm and hopefully get near the 8 mpg mark. This should put me well over the 2000 mile mark between top offs. If I can get that I'll be elated.

Let me know about the pollutants. I'm very curious.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man DR, thats toting alot of fuel. Maybe you should look into getting a water buffalo and converting it for fuel. I'm going to start burning up my waste oil as well but am really looking at the used SVO from a restaurant. Since it's always hot here except the 3rd week of Jan, I should pretty much be able to run 30 to 40% all the time. That's a chunk of change. i'm also going to try running the Wafflehouse fuel in my pickup. Hey Bjorn, where to I look for them there sock filters?
Kenny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks