• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternate fuels, Biodiesel

Opie

Well, looks like the hope of free biodiesel fuel for non-farmers in Virginia has evaporated for the coming year. :shakehead:

The rebate program for the 2004-2005 fiscal has exhausted its funding. The program for 2005-2006 fiscal year which starts July 1st will be only for farmers (producers) so if you fit that category please contact me. ding-dong Atkinson Executive Director Virginia Soybean Association 151 Kristiansand Dr., Ste. 115E Williamsburg, VA 23188 757-564-0153

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peter, since you'r only an hour away, why don't you stop by some time and check out my little biodiesel operation?
Got my "office" in the house, so I'm here most of the time.

Opie

Bjorn,

That would be fantastic! Once the hospital sorts out my schedule for July, I'd love to visit you. I'll keep in touch.

(How many cases of wine from the famous Black Dogs vinyard in Meadows of Dan will fit in a van body...?)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be the Morrisett Winery. Don't have any of theirs on hand, but I do have some home made Foxgrape wine. :) It's about 8 years old, tastes good, but not much alcohol.

Opie

Might there be an aspirin manufacturing truck to park next to the water purification truck in order to to cure the hangover?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Meadows of Dan may not be shown on most maps, but I'm pretty sure they have plenty of aspirin at the general store, "downtown", MOD.
Water purification truck? Don't you drive an M109?
Peter, when you visited Thrasher the other day, did you notice if he had any clearance/marker lights?

Opie

Yup, an M109 it is, but hangovers require lots of water - therefore a purification truck would be in order!

I didn't see any piles of clearance/marker lights I'm afraid, but Ben Thrasher's e-mail is surplus@rbnet.com according to his card. Perhaps he had some stashed.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
I learned loooong ago NEVER argue with the man that holds the meds in his hand (it's worse if he holds a plastic tube with a needle the size of a telephone pole sticking out one end!)! They have a tendancy to get their way.

Opie,
Wouldn't the truck make my kidneys work over-time with out over-time pay?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, there's a guy on ebay STRBUY. I've been buying his lights. He's out of BO markers but has close to 700 of the reds and yellows. They are the metal ones too. In his ebay store he has a set of 4 with a buy it now price of $30. Sometimes you can get them cheaper, sometimes not. Still need to find BO lenses though, I'm a few short of what I need. Between the semi trailer and the pipeline truck my total cleaance lights needed was 22. I'm almost there!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll check it out. Frank's surplus sells sets of 4 for the M151, which are nos and includes reflectors at sky-high prices, like $70 plus .
I currently use commercial metal clearance/marker lights. (se images below):
The two on the front fender are parking and turn signal lights.
Since the M756 has DOT type lights, I will in time convert to mil type everywhere.
That includes the trailer too.
The top on the deuce with the M756 bed is my "parking top" and is only draped over the regular top.

mangus580

Bjorn, as much as I hate to give him a plug right now (for somewhat personal reasons that I wont get into here...) Jeff at FLMV has them pretty cheap as well. I bought a whole batch from him to do my deuce with about a year ago... He also has the grill cover for $13 ! YES $13 !! it comes complete with the mounting hardware and all...

Someday I might actually put the lights on my deuce... maybe when I paint it...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
STRBUY sells the kits with the connectors and reflectors for around $75 too but for just the 4 lights it's $30. I've gotten several pairs in the area of $8 to $10 but am thinking of calling him up (I've got his card) and trying to make a deal on a bunch at once. His name is Russ Lane and the number is 660-679-0734 .

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, Jeff-Hain-Matson, emailed hm in response to him offereing clearance lights lenses at a very good price, but he never came back...

Mike, in my experience, the winter cover is needed at any time when the weather drops below 60-70 degrees (got lots of posts on that plus an MVM article). I now have a semi-permanent plywood piece with holes that simulate the wintercover opening (image below).

mangus580

That could have been very bad yestarday!! It was running around 220 yestarday in this heat :banghead: . Although we did have fun in the parade even if it was hot, I about melted in the 1009 in my bdu's that I wear for parades... dont know how they do it!!

:jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: Parades are fun even if HOT!

Opie

Cranetruck,

Being thermodynamically challenged in the vehicular department,how did you come to the size of the open areas in the plywood? Is that the cumulative square inches provided in the winter front? How do the shape and placement of the holes influence the heat retention/dissipation?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peter,
Trial and error. The closest I have come to any thermodynamics at this point is a tape measure and a digital thermometer.
The open areas in the plywood is about the same as the open flap on the winter front.
I have a thermocouple probe installed in one of the plugs near the temp sending unit on the engine for accurate readings. The DVM is a Fluke w/thermocouple adapter.
With this set up I can see the effect of running the personnel heater, for example, which BTW lowers the temp by about 2 degrees on a typical hill climb.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks