• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternate fuels, Biodiesel

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some "frying" oil from a local restaurant and here is the label. Compare to store bought pure veggie oil.
If you can't read the list of ingredients, the frying oil has TBHQ, Citric acid Dimethylpolysilooxane in it while the store bought oil is "pure".
Makes one wonder how much of the additives are left in waste cooking oil. and what effect they may have on the multifuel engine internals...:confused:

jollygreen6x6

Alot of this alternate fuel stuff for diesel engines is neat, and works dandy for you guys. But does anyone know of a cheap alternate fuel for gasoline engines? The 602 in my 5-ton gets 3-5 miles per gallon, and at $2.34 a gallon, that is no fun at all. I've heard of propane, alchohol, but these seem to require knowledge and/or expensive equipment to produce/make function. I would like to know of a simpler process, or have somebody explain it to me.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran another 1-gallon test batch of biodiesel over the weekend...

When the waste veggi oil from the restaurant sits for a while, the clear oil separates and ends up on top in the buckets. It's about 1/3 of the bucket. This I pour off and filter through a 5-micron filter and store in jerry cans ready to be mixed with petro diesel in the fuel tank of the deuce. The rest, which is more gooy, needs to be warmed up before it can be filtered and must be processed into biodiesel before it can be used.

The biodiesel I have "made" so far still must be washed until the pH value ends up near neutral. To do this right I have to get a more accurate scale and a reliable way to measure the pH.

This has been a news up-date from cranetruck central...

M36A2

All the years I've been driving my Dueces, first a M35A1, then a M35A2 and now a M36A2 they have been running on a mix of half Petroleum (for a kerosinelamp) and half used engine oil. I first mix it, then it is filtered through a large coffee filter (1 foot diameter). it takes a while but never any trouble running around with it. Just now some trouble but that is because somebody wanted to be funny and put some junk and stuff in my tank. (see: http://steelsoldiers.com/DotNetForum/default.aspx?f=43&m=17048 ) I don't heat it up or so, just mix it. I don't want to get oil from every place cause most of the time there is more than just oil what you get. And don't use oil that had been standing for months. Works great and doesn't stink that much as plain diesel does (exhaust).

M36A2

Chuckles said:
. I've heard of propane,.........
Many of the gas guzzling vehicles here in Holland run on propane. My Scrambler does, so does the Mercedes and the Cadillac, and it runs a lot better than gasoline. Cheaper too, for the gasoline cost around $ 6.50 / gln and the propane about $ 2.25 / gln. I used to have a M62 Wrecker that ran on propane.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks