• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM General parts website

dilvoy

So just found out last night when searching for parts that AM General has their own parts website up and running.
I placed my order, and this morning I received an email from them asking how I found out about their website as they haven't advertised it yet, and if I was part of a government agency or if it was a privately owned vehicle. I also received an order confirmation for it with a very low 2 digit order number.

I recall seeing somewhere that a few vendors had received letters from AM General about using their trademark or logo or something and that there was speculation about them maybe selling parts directly or something like that.

Anyway, website is https://genuinehumveeparts.com/
Are these parts being sold as off road use items only? If not, how about asking AMG to issue the bar code stickers for our Humvees like what they put on Hummers. This would allow us to register our Humvees for highway use like Hummers are.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these parts being sold as off road use items only? If not, how about asking AMG to issue the bar code stickers for our Humvees like what they put on Hummers. This would allow us to register our Humvees for highway use like Hummers are.
No stipulations anywhere I can see on the website about on or off road use only.

As for the second part, the contact info for them is on the website. Worst they can really do is tell you "no"

sf1954

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just placed an order for bearings, seals, and few misc. parts. Prices/shipping not bad and no questions asked. My confirmation number was under 95.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So latest update:
As of this point I have received only one part of the 5 that I ordered. Apparently any item made up of multiple components may not actually be in their inventory at this point, and you will have to wait for it to be manufactured.
I cancelled 2 of the items because one of them wasn't expected to even be manufactured until later in the year, so now just waiting to get a set of mirrors from them.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish they'd open up some parts for the older big iron.
I asked them that via email specifically for m939 . The reply is that it is under review and consideration for other platforms. Not sure how the the sale of AMG to a private equity capital group will affect that as some of those type firms are all about ripping companies apart for a quick buck not necessarily what is in the best long term interest.......

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I asked them that via email specifically for m939 . The reply is that it is under review and consideration for other platforms. Not sure how the the sale of AMG to a private equity capital group will affect that as some of those type firms are all about ripping companies apart for a quick buck not necessarily what is in the best long term interest.......
I hope you're wrong Juan, as I'm sure other are. But it's hard to say. AMG has several military contracts worth millions over time, but they are finite and often re-bid and Oshkosh is a substantial competitor for sure for new contracts. With HMMWV service life extensions in progress at least AMG has some decent short term contracts, but they seem to have struggled to get larger long term ones in recent years.

I want to believe the equity group was looking for an investment with long-term dividend potential, and will seek to leverage AMGs talents and assets to assure that. Opening up civilian sales and shipping is a straightforward action, which uses existing assets and talents; they only need be expanded in staff and some web-work. Then sales, though small compared to Big Auto, will grow and reach some equilibrium at a higher level than before. And it shouldn't take long since it leverages existing assets (parts, web, and people).

I want to believe they will pump some money into the site (can you believe the order notifications aren't automated in 2020?!?!) and expand offerings while adding a few more pickers to fill boxes.

I don't wonder as well that the new management will petition the Government to relax Federal Acquisition Regulations that prohibit sales of certain items to civilians, except those that are leftovers after production overruns and DoD orders are filled (which is why we wait weeks or months for backorders from AMG and Breton and others). They can do a better job supplying their partners too. I remember talking to HummerPartsGuy (great guy) on the phone asking after a pitman and idler arm. He then said he'd send me one that had just come in, as I was the loudest person trying to get one, and he noted that he'd ordered a couple dozen from AMG, and they sent exactly ONE. I think the new AMG leadership can definitely improve on that!

Bulldogger

Reactions: cwc

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope that it also is a win but know other firms like this have been corporate raiders.

I saw yesterday that Briggs and Stratton also got acquired by KPS Capital Partners .

Time will tell what happens to these 2 firms.

Reactions: cwc

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Attorneys wrote that label for legal cover when someone is injured by a Humvee in public roads.
Agreed. I'm glad they decided to be more public/practical about supplying us, and I don't mind these stickers all over my packages. As long as the packages keep coming!
BDGR

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible that the label is a holdover from years past when the company didn't sell to private owners?
Does it matter? The fact that they are selling to the public now invalidates any legal protection they might have tried to obtain via that label.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Does it matter? The fact that they are selling to the public now invalidates any legal protection they might have tried to obtain via that label.
OK Perry Mason. GOOD CALL. That will get them thinking. Stand tall on policy and go right out and do the opposite. What's up MR. T, CAMO

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see those parts. It's either a dream come true or an episode of the twi-light zone.

AM General should be held harmless for use of parts and vehicles but the 'strictly prohibit' (others) (defined; agencies not specifically authorized by AM General) is likely a transition after the nhtsa chimed in. Searching the term "does the Humvee meet FMVS standards" doesn't require a law degree and provides the story. There are lawsuits involved and statements from contributing problem parties like the nhtsa, all available to the public.

Even better, we can call AM General and they'll clarify their current position. Doing the right thing is usually the most difficult thing to do and it appears they are trying.

Having some loud support from the community never hurts.

574-237-6222

As President of a few organizations I always appreciated input from others to back me up on decisions or give me ideas I hadn't thought of. Here's the AM General leadership team and the go to folks for info. They have corresponded with me and are some fine folks to talk to. I just mentioned to them that we completely support the distribution of parts and will support them publicly providing they support the private use of used military vehicles.

I get a sense, from the letters I've read, these kids either volunteered their opinion, were solicited or both but either way their view has morphed back and forth. Calling them for clarification should be easy.

"""""""While NHTSA has no authority over the disposal of surplus military vehicles, we have advised the Department of Defense against the sale of surplus military vehicles, including the Humvee, to civilians. [1] """""""

Toll-Free: 888-327-4236

sf1954

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I placed an order on July 14th and had not heard or gotten my parts (bearings, seals etc). I called them July 31 to check on status and I was told that my order was marked "Block". They said they did not know why and would contact me after they figure what happened. Maybe they are rethinking selling to the public. I will post their answer once they call me back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks