• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ambulance rear doors

shorad93

Any chance I can get some leads on getting the two rear doors and a step for newly acquired m997-a2. Thank You all in advance!
Hello,

I just purchased a M997 2 weeks ago with the same issue, no rear doors. However, I was able to acquire 2 right side doors through ebay of which I deconstructed one of them and then reverse engineered a left side door using the same type aluminum, 1/4" PVC sheet, 3/4" plywood (Treated) and sandwiched together with marine grade adhesive and small bolts throughout. Total investment for one door is roughly $350. The door is much stronger than the original to which I bolted a spare tire carrier. This week I'll be building a right side door using same technique.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work, sounds like you need to start producing doors.
I do have concerns about the tire, they weigh around 200lb, IMHO the door hinges themselves will not support that much weight over a long period.

shorad93

Nice work, sounds like you need to start producing doors.
I do have concerns about the tire, they weigh around 200lb, IMHO the door hinges themselves will not support that much weight over a long period.
Aaahhhh! I'm ahead of you. lol. I actually purchased another hinge that will go in between the other two to give it more strength. My plan calls for adding a small crane on the roof, possible electrically operated to lift and lower the spare. I'll keep you guys posted as I progress along.

Pafcllc

Yeah, I second that, very neat looking door. Did you reuse Kevlar lining? I have already bought original doors. What are your plans re steps (assuming they were removed too)?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

I just purchased a M997 2 weeks ago with the same issue, no rear doors. However, I was able to acquire 2 right side doors through ebay of which I deconstructed one of them and then reverse engineered a left side door using the same type aluminum, 1/4" PVC sheet, 3/4" plywood (Treated) and sandwiched together with marine grade adhesive and small bolts throughout. Total investment for one door is roughly $350. The door is much stronger than the original to which I bolted a spare tire carrier. This week I'll be building a right side door using same technique.
Amazing work, and to all the NaySayers, treated plywood kicks ass for applications like this.

Great post about a common problem!!!

Last edited:

shorad93

Yeah, I second that, very neat looking door. Did you reuse Kevlar lining? I have already bought original doors. What are your plans re steps (assuming they were removed too)?
My M997 didn't have any Kevlar lining. The 2 right side doors I purchased were older. They both had an Interesting stencil saying "warning, these doors not to be used in combat". Once I disected the 1st door, I understood why. Very flimsy design with aluminum bracing and hard insulation sections to fill the voids.

For the steps, I just picked up an RV step that I may modify to include making the cover. This step looks heavy duty and I think with some mods, I can make it work. Standby for pix later.

Attachments

spankybear

Hello,

Very nice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks