• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any quality diesel fuel system cleaners?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got an 802 that is stumbling for fuel (pumps seem to work OK.. havent swapped filter yet). New filter will be in shortly... but I figured it might not hurt to see if there is a high test additive I can put in the tank to see about cleaning up any potential residue in the lines. Thanks

Chainbreaker

Any way that you can pull a fuel sample out of tank to inspect it for algae or whatever might be in it? Also looking at the old filter should give a clue. At any rate, I would try "Clear Diesel" by Power Service. It is marketed to treat diesel tanks that are causing filter plugging, etc.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
​seafoam

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seafoam X2

Have had excellent results and use it in everything

The NF2D Kubota/Kohler FloodLight/Generator set I just brought back to life had Seafoam in the tank that I added and it started right up.
Still running great.

Edit
I did drain all the old Diesel out and then swabbed out tank with new rags on each pass. Cleaned up pretty good.
Then added a can of Seafoam, some two-cycle oil and then topped off fuel tank.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
That is a variable.

IMHO I empty the tank and swab it out as best as possible. Put some new clean diesel in, shake the unit around, and drain that out.

Fill it with fresh diesel with a additive like the ones said above.

Kenny0

I don't think your fuel filters are the problem, but could be making your problem worse. Usually with the fuel filter starting to get clogged you will notice a loss of power, but will otherwise seems to run okay. It,s possible that old diesel could maybe the problem, but it would have to be pretty bad. Usually air in the fuel system will cause stumbling. It seems like you might have a micro-leak. A micro-leak is a leak which is too small to let fluid out of the line, but large enough to allow air to enter the line. If the fuel filter is partially plugged and you replace it, and it seems to run better or runs like it should then I would suspect a micro-leak between the fuel filter and the injection pump.I would start off by cracking any fuel connections loose then re-tighten them. Then check the lines. The next place I would check is between the inlet of the fuel pump back to the tank, lines and fittings. An air leak in the fuel system could happen anywhere along the line. I have run across leaks like this and it's on the suction side of a pump and usually a rubber line. Cut open your old fuel filters and check to see what's inside, if it's algae in the fuel you should be able to see it. It would look like a dark slime. If it is algae it must be cleaned out of the tank and lines thoroughly then add clean diesel and a biocide back in. I am not sure if the electric fuel pump has a screen on the inlet side or not, might be worthwhile to check it out. As far as the fuel cleaner, I'm not really sure what you really mean. I just purchase some FPPF Fuel Power from amazon and am going to try it in my diesel mower and diesel yard cart. Both seem to take a lot of time on the glow plugs for a cold start. If it helps, I will be impressed. Supposed to clean injectors. Looks impressive from the advertisement, but it's an advertisement.

rustystud

I don't think your fuel filters are the problem, but could be making your problem worse. Usually with the fuel filter starting to get clogged you will notice a loss of power, but will otherwise seems to run okay. It,s possible that old diesel could maybe the problem, but it would have to be pretty bad. Usually air in the fuel system will cause stumbling. It seems like you might have a micro-leak. A micro-leak is a leak which is too small to let fluid out of the line, but large enough to allow air to enter the line. If the fuel filter is partially plugged and you replace it, and it seems to run better or runs like it should then I would suspect a micro-leak between the fuel filter and the injection pump.I would start off by cracking any fuel connections loose then re-tighten them. Then check the lines. The next place I would check is between the inlet of the fuel pump back to the tank, lines and fittings. An air leak in the fuel system could happen anywhere along the line. I have run across leaks like this and it's on the suction side of a pump and usually a rubber line. Cut open your old fuel filters and check to see what's inside, if it's algae in the fuel you should be able to see it. It would look like a dark slime. If it is algae it must be cleaned out of the tank and lines thoroughly then add clean diesel and a biocide back in. I am not sure if the electric fuel pump has a screen on the inlet side or not, might be worthwhile to check it out. As far as the fuel cleaner, I'm not really sure what you really mean. I just purchase some FPPF Fuel Power from amazon and am going to try it in my diesel mower and diesel yard cart. Both seem to take a lot of time on the glow plugs for a cold start. If it helps, I will be impressed. Supposed to clean injectors. Looks impressive from the advertisement, but it's an advertisement.
Good advice KennyO. Micro leaks can be a pain in the A$$ to find. Most likely though it's his filters causing the problem here. Due to the crud sealing up the filter media and then releasing due to pressure build-up, then sealing up again. Rinse and repeat. I bet once he replaces the filters it will run like a champ. He will still need to clean his fuel system though.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the best cleaners there is is B100. If if you can find it.

I keep a gallon or so on hand and put a couple ounces in fuel being used. I run straight B100 if I suspect the fuel system needs cleaning.

Do NOT put it in fuel being stored.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone. So heres the scoop... only the second time I've been able to get at this machine. When it first arrived I changed fluids and oil filter (didnt have fuel filter in stock)... was getting zero fuel in the seperator after getting it to stall out 30 seconds after run. I figured there was a clog in the line... will diagnose later.

Got a few minutes yesterday to play around. Unhooked the primary metal fuel line and primed the system... she pumps. I at least know that portion of the world works. I hooked the line back up, and now was getting fuel to come out the seperator. I proceeded to let it run unloaded for about 10 minutes.. stalled once in that time (no fuel light). I tried this in both the prime and the aux setting (in case it was a pump issue after all).

Finally got it nice and warm, and hooked up my load bank to see whats going on. Power at the convenience just fine. Flipped one of my 5.4kw circuits and this machine slowed to a crawl. Dumped that line, allowed to return to full RPMs, and flipped the 2.7kw line and she ran much better... but was still slower than before. Got bored and reversed it back to the other circuit, and she stalled out under load (no fuel light).

I want to make sure this thing is getting enough fuel before I worry about too many other items. It just sounds like its being starved... but I guess we shall find out.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any way that you can pull a fuel sample out of tank to inspect it for algae or whatever might be in it? Also looking at the old filter should give a clue. At any rate, I would try "Clear Diesel" by Power Service. It is marketed to treat diesel tanks that are causing filter plugging, etc.
The pig is full... filled it upon arrival with fully treated fuel by mistake (I thought I was filling my 803, which was right next to it). Will drain it if need be... but Im hoping not to. When its not under load, it seems to run smooth (or what I take smooth for a two cyl of this style to be).

Guyfang

Staff member
All good advice. Also keep in mind Kenny's Micro leak. The flexible lines up top can be the culprit. Those darn things have driven a million people crazy, and they never knew what it was. Just take it one step at a time, and you will find the problem.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I took the rear control cover off, as well as the first piece of roof top sheet metal last night. I wanted to see exactly where the next fuel fitting was (and to make sure I wasn't about to shove my hand up into a wasp nest or something equally as stupid...). I will probably take the rest of the roof off, to get a proper topside look at the fuel line and eveything else. Probably going to be the last 802A I pick up... my arms are just too **** big to be getting in and around the engine compartment... Ill stick with air cooled or 803s.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and I stopped at Wal Mart on my way into work, and grabbed a can of Seafoam. New fuel filter arrives sometime Saturday... Will advise. Thanks for the recommendations.

dav5

Seafoam works for me. I use it on my outboard motors [totally fixed a starting problem] as well as my chainsaws etc and my diesel engines.

AndyT

Clear diesel from PowerService. Same folks that make Diesel Kleen,911, BioKleen etc etc.

It is great stuff.. I have a bit of gunk in the tank from over a week of fording over the tank, thanks to good ole Harvey. 1 bottle of Clear Diesel has begun to eat it away. After a couple of bottles and filter changes , she'll be like new again.

I always dump a bottle of Diesel Kleen in on fill ups. A bottle of Clear Diesel every couple of months or if she takes a dip like this.

If you actually have tank mold, dump a bottle of clear diesel and some Bio Kleen at the same time. Shocks the tank real good, clean her right up. Keep some extra filters on hand because you will change frequently till the gunk is gone.

Kenny0

Good advice KennyO. Micro leaks can be a pain in the A$$ to find. Most likely though it's his filters causing the problem here. Due to the crud sealing up the filter media and then releasing due to pressure build-up, then sealing up again. Rinse and repeat. I bet once he replaces the filters it will run like a champ. He will still need to clean his fuel system though.
Kind of challenging trouble shooting on a forum, best to look and listen. the sound of a diesel can speak volumes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks