• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone here have a T-72 or 55/54/60????

B3.3T

If you don't want British armor because of costs and maintaining, you certainly don't want a BMP variant either. As for a BMP with tires...? Someone needs to do a little better research.

EZFEED

I talked to a fellow last night who is 6'2". When he was in Afganistan on his first tour, they had a T-72 near the front gate to play with. He said he weighed 200 pounds then and it was a tight fit to get in, and cramped to stay in there, especially buttoned up. He weighs more now and says he would not try it again without slimming down. YMMV.
Well it looks like I will need a shoespoon to get in:grin:

EZFEED

EZFEED, Forgot to mention it in my PM but I've sat in T-72, 55, 34 when I was at Budges in England buying my BRDM. I'm 6'6" 200lbs so diameter for me is no problem but height is. T-55 on up are cramped to say the least but the T-72 was the worst by far with the auto loader in the turret there's not much room. I didn't try the drivers seat but would imagine it is just as small. Even in the BRDM I have trouble operating the brake and clutch since the steering wheel doesn't move. One interesting note, I knew all this before I bought the vehicle but it was so cool I got it anyway.
The only tank I would really like to get would be the T-34/85. With no turret basket there's lots of room to crawl from the drivers seat to the turret and back again, also lots of power and relatively:roll: affordable.

BTW here's some pix of the BRDM
Hey great to see your BRDM!!!!! Knew you would figure that uploading deal!!!!:-D Forgot to mention I may be ordering some parts from another place and I will see if they have that sight. If they do you can tag it along with my order:wink:

This info is what I needed! I'm thinking I may gut the non essentials like Opie mentioned. I know the T-55 and 60 are a little thicker and have a tad more room so I may go with one of those. I really like the lines of the 72 though and if I can fit in the drivers hatch and have enough arm room to work everything then its cool. I did want to reactivate the 125mm (DD) so getting inside the turret would be something I'd want to do.
I hear you on the T34/85 and that would be great, I have played in one of those, only problem is parts availability. Its just not what it used to be and thinks like track pins, some of the bearings (which are unique), and certain engine components you just cant find anymore at affordable prices. Parts for the suspension are terrible too, mostly pitted up with serious chunks missing. Affordable yes and can be had in really nice shape in the $15K range BUT because of the age and parts availability this makes it a no-go for me because I really "play" with my stuff and use it on my farm.:|

EZFEED

If you don't want British armor because of costs and maintaining, you certainly don't want a BMP variant either. As for a BMP with tires...? Someone needs to do a little better research.
I saw that too but I know what he's talking about. Those arent cheap either.

Actually the BMP isn't that bad as long as its maintained. The engine compartment is a bit cramped so you cant get in a hurry working in there but if its in good shape and you dont floor it and make allot of hard jumps with it they will last. Parts are cheap too because of the number made.

The thing with British armor is because its just that. If I want parts theres really only one place to find them unless I find a hulk in some military junkyard somewhere then I dont have the means to go traveling all over the world pulling parts. The British stuff that gets surplused out gets snatched up by collectors pretty quick and when you go looking for parts there is a premium attached to parts belonging to armored creatures just because its that then theres the saying you have to "pay to play" which is total BS in my book. This ComBloc stuff was made everywhere, not just Russia and usually made better in those satellite countries too. Another things is thats its not always cheaply made and poorly designed either. Some of these vehicles actually surpass similar era U.S. technology by far and some modern tech as well. I'm an MV collector on the cheap side and one can be if he just shops around.

Last edited:

Shackey985

The next time I get a chance to sit in the gunners hole of our M1s I will compare it to our T72 but I can tell you that there is'nt much room to move around. When I compare our Leopard to the T72 its about the same a tight squese. I am 5,11 and slim.

ONTOS66

Rule #!, armored vehicles (tank, apc, afv, etc.) are NOT designed for crew comfort. They are vehicles that transport a weapons system (or human cargo) and crew stations are sort of fitted in around that. "Check list: engine and transmission, appropriate armor, radios, guns, ammo, fuel tank, batteries, .... hmmm ... oh yeah .... crew"

I was a tank commander on the M48A5 and M60A3, plus an Ontos Commander in Vietnam, and in my later years moved up to the luxury of the M577 Command Post Carrier.

None of them are "comfortable." Although at least with the M577 you can have a younger crew member climb up and drop the ramp for your easy entry. :)

Budget, I don't recall the comparison, but armor and especially tracked vehicles take a lot more maintenance than standard tactical wheeled vehicles.

Break a track in the boonies and it isn't a fun day. Not like changing a flat. Especially on the Ontos, what a system that was!!!

On the other side, they are COOL, and REALLY, REALLY fun!!! ;)

ONTOS66

Attachments

I am 6 ft tall and I used to be 170 lbs. Did I fit in a T-72 driver's compartment? Yes. Was I comfortable there - **** no. I had to do it on occasion, generally I would take the commander's seat. Sorry if I am not using proper English terminology, I don't know it.

warewolf

If you really want to buy a T-72, buy it without help of companies in UK, do it directly in Poland/Czech/Slovakia.
T-55 and BMP-1 are also great vehicles, both available in Poland now.

PorscheTech911

Thats what I've heard is the best method. Would it be beneficial to get into contact with Yuri Orlov? Ha, who do you talk to about importing one? Do you contact base commanders or some agency? I don't speak any Polish.

warewolf

There is an agency, that sells armored vehicles, guns, ammo, etc. And you have to have a proper license to buy from them.
So the easiest way to do this is just buy from a Polish company with this license.

duncan

All I can think is that if you want an armoured tracked vehicle with room to actually sit, you either need a main battle tank or one of the even bigger crazy tanks... or get a non-combat vehicle where having a low profile doesnt matter as much. Think APCs, Support&Supply vehicles, etc.

warewolf

Here you have some info:
Agencja Mienia Wojskowego -
You'll need at least 60k USD to buy a decent shape T-72 and you'll have to be present at the tender sale.
T-55s are a lot cheaper and easier to buy.

Forgot to mention I am 182 cm and 88 kg and I didn't have any problem to fit into a diver's seat in T-55.

EZFEED

Ah....you will have fun doing this and I'm all for it if you do go through with it. I've been debating this one really. It may be cool but it can also be the most boring MV you will ever own as well not to mention labor intensive. It's not like you can take a 40+ ton machine out and play with it with your SS buddies nor can you go to many rallies with it. Pretty much you are stuck on your own property and unless you hae plenty of land then thats that. This is why I got a BMP.
Lemme know if you do and I can help you with the paperwork if needs be. I have purchased many things from AMW in Poland listed above, dont spend much past $20,000 on a T-55 though...there are oodles of them.

B3.3T

I have ridden in several T-72s and T-55s. Anyone over 5'8" 170- my size, will be just plain miserable or not fit at all. These are CRAMPED vehicles and not made for folks over 5'7" 125. It is just not going to happen. The roomiest MBT's on the market are British. No way around it.

Malyutkaman

Was just reading this thread and one question crossed my mind. What are the current ATF import restrictions on weapon systems installed in MBT's? I've herd that nowdays it's not possible to have even a de-milled gun installed in a tank or other armored vehicle. When I imported my stuff the only restrictions were to cut the breech ring. It would suck to buy a T-55 then have to rip the whole gun out of it.

ajg6989

Ive worked on a t-72 before and its a nightmare inside. The starting system is air and it pressurized to several atmospheres. I cant remember if its double clutch or not also worked on the T-62 and early T-55s with the bow gun slot. The T-62 has alot more room than the T-72. Make sure if you get one you get the tool to open the hatches.

B3.3T

It is not illegal to have a demilled gun, but it is no longer legal to import with a demilled gun as before. Now, you can not even import the barrel, cut or otherwise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks