• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone here have a T-72 or 55/54/60????

Malyutkaman

It is not illegal to have a demilled gun, but it is no longer legal to import with a demilled gun as before. Now, you can not even import the barrel, cut or otherwise.
That's what I thought. Kinda makes importing a tank not so much fun. Half the fun of owning an armored vehicle with a cannon is being able to leave the gun pointed at your liberal neighbors house:twisted:. (Of course I've NEVER done that myself):roll:

Malyutkaman

Oh, BTW just thought I'd mention today marks a milestone for aviation. As I sit at my desk I'm looking at the 787 taxi out for it's first flight. What advances we have made over the years.... We used to beat metal into shape and come up with a new aircraft in a month, now we glue it together and are two years behind schedule:wink:. What a milestone...

PorscheTech911

I'm not sure if I agree with you on the legality of importing the tank with a demiled gun including the barrel. As far as the ATF has told me you can still do that and all the laws and paperwork that I have seen has shown that. I think it wise to get your appropriate FFL class licence before hand to ensure you have the standing to own such a device. Also because of the extensive part network in Europe you should have no problem locating a new barrel if they don't alow it and importing it separately which is legal. If you plan to make it fire live ammuntion then you would need the appropriate Type 11 FFL license to import Destructive Devices (the cannon) and the ammunition (100mm) legally into the States. A call to your local or regional BATFE office should confirm this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License

EZFEED if you could email me at porschetech911@gmail.com I have a million questions for you and am very grateful for your offer to help out. Thanks a million!

P.S. A T-62 is the tank to get, it was made longer and wider and improves on the T-55 chassis and design whilst keeping the original engine. Making it as reliable as the T-55, but slightly larger. Another benefit of the M series 62 is the larger 620hp engine. It gives more gusto while remaining easy to fix, reliable, and parts are readily available. The T-55 because of shear numbers is still THE tank to own, but a 62 will afford "Fat Americans" a more comfortable experience (In my opinion who cares about relative comfort... buy a Cadillac?)

Last edited:

warewolf

Adam, I spoke with AMW few days ago and they don't have any tanks for sale at this moment. And if they will have something it will be a T-72. Polish Army still has a few T-55s and they will be given to museums. If you need some more info how to make deals with them, just PM me with your questions.
Personally I would choose T-55, it's a lot easier to find parts for it in case if something brakes down. I know, that T-62 is very similar, but there are some differences and it can be much more expensive to buy these parts.

PorscheTech911

Personally I would choose T-55, it's a lot easier to find parts for it in case if something brakes down. I know, that T-62 is very similar, but there are some differences and it can be much more expensive to buy these parts.
I agree with you, for us here they may be a bit nicer. I may be interested in some of the other tracked items they have. I have plans already for a T-55 from a relative living in Poland, but I am interested in buying another vehicle to make shipping and time more worth it. I've been given a great deal of advice on BMP series vehicles and may go that route. Regardless of how I proceed my main concern is to import an MBT. I'll PM you with any questions I come up with. Thank you warewolf.

B3.3T

1. There is NO FFL license required to own a demilled cannon, nor a live one for that matter. It is an approved Form 1, and it is a Transfer. Nothing to do with any license. 2. You can no longer import ANY barrel into the US, rifle, pistol, or cannon. FACT. Whatever might have been legal 10 years ago no longer applies. I seriously suggest anyone considering any such import attempt to take it up with BATF Technical branch and not just some field agent. Most of them have no clue about importing.

EZFEED

It is not illegal to have a demilled gun, but it is no longer legal to import with a demilled gun as before. Now, you can not even import the barrel, cut or otherwise.
Well you are not "quite" correct about this. When they further "clarified" the deal with importing barrels for "repair and replacment" and they started actually cracking down on the barrel demils (it was already onthe books) it just became subject to the type of weapon it was.

Barels can be imported but it may just not be worth even doing it. Small arm barrels will be severed in several places making them total junk...there is a way around this however.
Artillery like towed, tank mounted, etc are demilled the same way except there are some exceptions regarding caliber and how the Bureau feels that day. The rules always were that you have to cut the breech in half through the channels the breech block slide. Also a hole must be torch cut into the high pressure side of the barrel, this is just in front of the mantlet usually and the hole now HAS TO BE 100% the bore diameter now so its a chunk.

Also from what I understand...three holes like above are required now spaced evenly down the barrel.....so now the barrel is a big strainer and all hope of salvaging the barrel for appearance are shot.

I created the demil for the 30mm cannons and barrels on my truck because ATF had nothing on the books so they allowed it. I was required to follow the regular ordnance demil so there had to be a hole. Demil was one little hole in the breech and that flew. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/M53 restoration/13otvorvhlavni31mm.jpg Now....the whole **** thing has to be cut up in 6 pieces :-x

The problem was not ATF here...the problem was with people not following he rules and building illeagal unregistered machineguns OR other weapons like SBR's, AOW's, etc unknowingly using parts kits or parts thereof. From what I was told more and more of these were turning up...not in crimes so much but with folks building them without doing their homework and following the rules in the FFG specifying homebuilt firearms.

EZFEED

I'm not sure if I agree with you on the legality of importing the tank with a demiled gun including the barrel. As far as the ATF has told me you can still do that and all the laws and paperwork that I have seen has shown that. I think it wise to get your appropriate FFL class licence before hand to ensure you have the standing to own such a device. Also because of the extensive part network in Europe you should have no problem locating a new barrel if they don't alow it and importing it separately which is legal. If you plan to make it fire live ammuntion then you would need the appropriate Type 11 FFL license to import Destructive Devices (the cannon) and the ammunition (100mm) legally into the States. A call to your local or regional BATFE office should confirm this. Federal Firearms License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EZFEED if you could email me at porschetech911@gmail.com I have a million questions for you and am very grateful for your offer to help out. Thanks a million!

P.S. A T-62 is the tank to get, it was made longer and wider and improves on the T-55 chassis and design whilst keeping the original engine. Making it as reliable as the T-55, but slightly larger. Another benefit of the M series 62 is the larger 620hp engine. It gives more gusto while remaining easy to fix, reliable, and parts are readily available. The T-55 because of shear numbers is still THE tank to own, but a 62 will afford "Fat Americans" a more comfortable experience (In my opinion who cares about relative comfort... buy a Cadillac?)
Not quite right either...
You will never be able to import a full, uncut, undemilled 100mm barrel for a tank you import. You can...if you have the funds...have a new one made here in the states. The license you mention is not for personal use so unless you find a agency that needs an old obsolete machine like a T-55 (no way) for some legitimate reason (no way) then you could "possibly" procure one for a sample. In other words...aint gonna happen. If you wanted to do this and likve fire then you shouldas bought it 10 years ago like B3.3T stated. I lucked out and found a 73mm for my BMP because now it would have been impossible. Something you could do is sleeve the original barrel to 90mm or something lower then you will be good to go!

All you need for this is to have funds for the vehicle, the funds and means to ship, and an approved ATF F-6 with official demil. Have it demilled over there or do it here as soon as it gets unloaded...and be prepared to spend a chunk for a bonded wharehouse if you do it yourself here.
You will have to do your exit forms for the country you are exporting from and they may require an EUC (We dont in the U.S.) as well as an IIC from us.

Pretty easy, just be sure you have the cash ready for it plus a little extra in case there are any holdups or bumps.

PorscheTech911

So EZFEED if you have links to the forms I need do you mind sharing them? I've gotten PM's about several other members wanting to import similar items and I'm not sure how to help them. Based on all your info and from my own research, I've started putting together a "To-Do" list to guide people through the process step by step. I'm also trying to get together some more info on destructible devices. There are a few ATF forms that cover bringing into the states active weapons. I'm calling ATF headquarters monday to ask a boatload of questions.

I've decided though that to me its not worth trying to re-active the main cannon because of the cost and paperwork involved. The D10T 100mm doesn't have alot of recoil as it is a small caliber based on the size of the vehicle. In that case I do plan to weld plate steel over the holes in the barrel and then install the thermal sleeve to hide the damage and convert to gas firing so I can still have some fun with it. Warewolf mentioned a lack of T-55s left in Poland, therefore I may try to get something more along the lines of a T-62 because of it's larger size. I have also considered BMP-1 and Czech OT-90s. A tank is what I want, but cost, size, ect. might be a factor.

Augdog1964

Hello, kinda new here...

If you want a tank with room... there is only one!

T-34/85! I'm 6ft 2in and i have to hang by my elbows in the hatch and then DROP to the floor!

Dave Bane

Attachments

warewolf

The last T-55 from Polish Army was bought by a Czech company for 40 000 USD. There are two or three of them left in hands of private companies, who have license to export them for around 50 to 66 000 USD, depends who you ask.

Besides they can always build new T-55s. :p
They have quite a lot of chassis, turrets and other parts of T-55, so they can assemble another five to ten of them.

Augdog1964 - it's quite common in Russian tanks. ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks