• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know Home Depot's new code?

D3M0N

Some one up at Fort Drum decided to do a motor pool camo scheme. They thought it'd be funny to make it look like a green and black cow with 6 wheels. Needless to say it's going back to tri-color.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the Federal Standard codes for the most commonly used colors:

30051 Brown 383 Camo

34094 Green 383 Camo

37030 Black Camo

33446 Tan 686A Camo

nf6x

Feral Engineer
It appears to me that whether HD can mix paint from a FED-STD-595 code must depend on the individual store and/or the experience of the individual employee. I just went to my local HD and tried to have some paint mixed from the fed std codes: FAILURE. Neither employee had ever heard of them, nor did they bother trying to enter them in their computer. I had also written down the "new" codes for 383 green Behr paint posted above. The employees were hesitant to try entering them manually since I wasn't positive whether they corresponded to a gallon or quart of paint, and they really wanted to see a picture of an HD label with the barcode on it so they could scan it in. I opted not to gamble my money there.

Next I tried the local Lowe's: FAILURE. They actually tried entering the numbers in their computer, but said that they could only match to specific manufacturer codes.

So, I recalled seeing a Sherwin Williams store nearby in my wanderings, and gave them a try: SUCCESS. The employee wasn't immediately familiar with fed std codes, but the computer knew what to do with them. I bought a gallon of the green and a quart each of brown and black for touch-up on my M923. The total with tax was $82.30. We'll see what it looks like on my truck, but the paint dabs that he put on the tops of the cans look right.

donalloy1

Great Thread SS's! When done with existing project. Will apply what I have learned here. Hats off to those that put the word out. DMLII sends....:beer:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nf6x, glad you eventually had some success. It took the paint guy at my HD about 3 minutes to find it on the computer but it was there. I have to give the guy credit, he didn't give up.

D3M0N

I walked into HD expecting to receive the same result as nf6x, but the saleswoman knew exactly what the Federal Standard #'s were and I walked out with three samples of CARC Green Brown and Black. The only thing was that I had to get the samples in interior flat, they apparently don't make exterior samples for Behr. Like it was previously stated, it all depends on the knowledge of the clerk. I'm glad someone was able to help!

BTW I do have the labels on the lids with the mix codes if anyone would care for them. The paint appears to be spot on.

XJ01-08

I walked into HD expecting to receive the same result as nf6x, but the saleswoman knew exactly what the Federal Standard #'s were and I walked out with three samples of CARC Green Brown and Black. The only thing was that I had to get the samples in interior flat, they apparently don't make exterior samples for Behr. Like it was previously stated, it all depends on the knowledge of the clerk. I'm glad someone was able to help!

BTW I do have the labels on the lids with the mix codes if anyone would care for them. The paint appears to be spot on.
I'd be curious to see the paint codes to see if they match up to the ones I got made up from the old paint codes and got samples in the new low voc paint. And my samples say they are interior exterior so they must only have one type of sample.

ratfarmer

Thank you for the Federal Standard paint codes!
I recently picked up an old US Navy International Loadstar and I was trying to figure out what color it was and what to paint it. The closest color I could find is Federal Standard 36300.

One of my older neighbors that served in the Navy loves my truck and said I should paint it battleship gray. Any idea what Federal Standard number that is?

Heath_h49008

Home Depot also carries Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer in gallon cans... most stores. Ask ahead of time if you need more than one and they can get it in for you.

The change in number wasn't VOC related. The previous color mixing machine company went out of business. The new machines have new codes.

NEIOWA... One of the better, and certainly the least expensive, substitutes for CARC paint has been Bher exterior flat paint from Home Depot.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the Federal Standard paint codes!
I recently picked up an old US Navy International Loadstar and I was trying to figure out what color it was and what to paint it. The closest color I could find is Federal Standard 36300.

One of my older neighbors that served in the Navy loves my truck and said I should paint it battleship gray. Any idea what Federal Standard number that is?

Federal Standard 595B, color 36320 is ~one of the Battleship Gray colors. There are many variations.

Your best bet is to call around and find a paint store that has a Federal Standard Fan Deck. Pick a color you like.

It was Sherwin Williams that had the Fan Deck and pointed out its utility to me. Take a look at 36320 and 36300 and see if that is what you want.

Navy guys are weird. They love that crappy gray. I once had to paint a truck Battleship Gray. It was ugly but the customer loved it. Go figure.

redcoat54th

Anyone tried to match a semi-gloss 23070 at Home Depot? I cannot find the Federal Standard # for 23070 but did find 33070 in flat which should be the same color, just in a flat finish. Maybe a HD satin in 33070 color would work? I want to avoid the khaki tint of 34087.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
UP Date 4/12/15 Remember a lot of the older posts with Behr #'s on the lids are not true FS they were color matched, so start with a clean slate.
Tell the clerk the list of the FS codes in the HD paint computer is found by going under "Competitor Color look up" and selecting Federal Standard as the manufacturer then have them enter just the five number code.

Whiterabbit

Homer Dumpo's village idiots couldn't figure it out. I even talked really slowly!!! I needed FS34079 and wound up with 34097 apparently! First 2 clowns just shrugged and said I need to get the color code from their lil' color chips on the wall. 3rd moron shows up and said "found it" and mixes up a qrt and swears it'll dry darker. NOT! Looks like 383 carc!!! Now I have a M762 that looks like it should be pulled by a HMMVW instead of a M151A2. Oh well, there's another home dupo in the next town. I'll try them later in the yr.
The hardest part in painting your truck with Behr is getting those a$$hats to mix it for ya! :evil:

EwaMarine

I use Behr Marquee....using FS as the customer number like MWMULES says...and then simply 34094 (aka 383 green....) Works out killer everytime. Marquee is the better paint than Behr Ultra...Heres a Behr Marquee painted HMMWV ala 686 tan....with the actor playing Ed Snowden in the upcoming Oliver Stone pic SNOWDEN...It looks pretty good...just like CARC..
unnamed (2).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks